website statistics

Totallympics Awards 2023

vinipereira

First stage voting should end tomorrow but we only have 5 voters so far. We may have to change the schedule and give it another week, announcing the nominees closer to New Year's rather than Christmas (just like last year). Or maybe even cancel the whole thing if the number of voters is too low. I tagged last year's voters in case anyone is interested. Of course there's a lot more people who can vote (didn't wanna bother more members tagging them here), so please feel free to follow the instructions in this post :yes

I do plan to vote. I can do it today, but an extra few days might be nice. I’m sure a lot of people are busy preparing for the various end of year holidays this week.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

15 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

First stage voting should end tomorrow but we only have 5 voters so far. We may have to change the schedule and give it another week, announcing the nominees closer to New Year's rather than Christmas (just like last year). Or maybe even cancel the whole thing if the number of voters is too low. I tagged last year's voters in case anyone is interested. Of course there's a lot more people who can vote (didn't wanna bother more members tagging them here), so please feel free to follow the instructions in this post :yes

Thank you for the reminder, I was definitely intending to vote but I've been very busy at work, so most evenings I'm too tired to sit down for a proper list of all the categories. I hope to get to it tonight or tomorrow!

@vinipereira I can vote but I need two more days. 

I was going to vote when the voting was open. But my friend’s elderly mother was brutally killed by a psychically ill person. I was shocked and is shocked and sad.:cry: I forget about this voting. Would be happy if you can give me a couple of days. 

Edited by Belle

Couldn't think of six (non-Dutch) nominees for every category, but I just sent in my vote:

BEST MALE ATHLETE

for sportsmen in Olympic sports

#1: :FRA Leon Marchand - Swimming
#2: :USA Noah Lyles - Athletics
#3: :NED Mathieu van der Poel - Cycling
#4: :DEN Jonas Vingegard - Cycling
#5: :KEN Kelvin Kiptum - Athletics
#6: :JPN Daiki Hashimoto - Gymnastics

BEST FEMALE ATHLETE

for sportswomen in Olympic sports

#1: :NED Sifan Hassan - Athletics
#2: :KEN Faith Kipyegon - Athletics
#3: :AUS Kaylee McKeown - Swimming
#4: :AUS Mollie O'Callaghan - Swimming
#5: :BEL Lotte Kopecky - Cycling
#6: :SLO Janja Garnbret - Sport Climbing

BEST NON-OLYMPIC ATHLETE

for athletes in Non-Olympic sports and disciplines

#1: :ESP Killian Jornet - Trail running

BEST YOUTH ATHLETE

for athletes up to 18 years old (born after January 1st, 2005) (including Olympic, Non-Olympic and Paralympic sports)

#1: :CAN Summer McIntosh - Swimming
#2: :NED Niels Laros - Athletics
#3: :ALG Kaylia Neymour - Algeria
#4:
#5:
#6:

BEST MEN'S TEAM

for national men's teams or groups (including Olympic, Non-Olympic and Paralympic sports)

#1: :POL Volleyball team
#2: :NED Team sprint - Track cycling
#3: :DEN Handball team
#4: 
#5:
#6:

BEST WOMEN'S TEAM

for national women's teams or groups (including Olympic, Non-Olympic and Paralympic sports)

#1: :ESP Football team
#2: :NED Waterpolo team
#3: :TUR Volleyball team
#4: :FRA Handball team
#5: :AUS Freestyle relay teams - Swimming
#6:

BEST DOUBLES/PAIR OR MIXED TEAM

for doubles and pairs or mixed teams and groups (including Olympic, Non-Olympic and Paralympic sports)

#1: :BRA Duda/Ana Patricia - Beach Volleyball
#2: :NED Mixed relay team (Velzeboer/Schulting/Van 't Wout/De Laat) - Short track speed skating
#3: :ROU Bodnar/Radis - Rowing
#4: :IRL McCarthy/O'Donovan - Rowing
#5: :CZE Perusic/Schweiner - Beach Volleyball
#6:

BREAKTHROUGH OF THE YEAR

for the most improved athlete (aged 19 or over) or national team (including Olympic, Non-Olympic and Paralympic sports)

#1: :USA Jordan Stolz - Speed skating
#2: :NED Puck Pieterse - Mountainbike
#3: :CHN Qin Haiyang - Swimming
#4: :BOT Letsile Tebogo - Athletics
#5: :GBR Emma Finucane - Track cycling
#6: :USA Anna Hall - Athletics

COMEBACK OF THE YEAR

for athletes or national teams who made a comeback performance in 2023 (including Olympic, Non-Olympic and Paralympic sports)

#1: :USA Simone Biles - Gymnastics
#2: :LTU Ruta Meilutyte - Swimming
#3: :NED Laura Aarts - Waterpolo (retired goalkeeper came back to the team and helped them become world champions)
#4: :GBR Katarina Johnson-Thompson - Athletics
#5:
#6:

SPORT MOMENT OF THE YEAR

for any sport moment from 2023

#1: :NED Femke Bol charging to 4x400m World Championship gold a few days after her fall in the mixed relay
#2: :USA Simone Biles winning four golds in her return to the Antwerpen gymnastics hall
#3: :AUS Mollie O'Callaghan 200m freestyle world record
#4: :DEN / :SLO / :USA  Team Jumbo-Visma winning all three Grand Tours with different riders
#5:
#6:

Wish I could've voted for six Dutch sport moments of the year:whistle:

SPORT MOMENT OF THE YEAR

#1: :NED Femke Bol charging to 4x400m World Championship gold a few days after her fall in the mixed relay
#2: :NED Men's team sprint taking back their world title in a head-to-head race vs Australia
#3: :NED Sifan Hassan winning the London and Chicago marathons
#4: :NED Mathieu van der Poel winning the road cycling world championship even after a fall
#5: :NED Wout Pouls winning his first Tour de France stage
#6: :NED Karolien Florijn dominating every single sculls rowing race including the world championship

BEST MALE ATHLETE

for sportsmen in Olympic sports

#1: Mathieu van der Poel (cycling) :NED 
#2: Leon Marchand (swimming) :FRA 
#3: Jordan Stolz (speedskating) :USA 
#4: Carlos Alcaraz (tennis) :ESP 
#5: Oliver Zeidler (rowing) :GER 

BEST FEMALE ATHLETE

for sportswomen in Olympic sports

#1: Femke Bol (athletics) :NED 
#2: Lotte Kopecky (cycling) :BEL 
#3: Sha'Carri Richardson (athletics) :USA 
#4: Emma Finucane :GBR 
#5: Ragne Wiklund (speedskating) :NOR 

BEST PARALYMPIC ATHLETE

for athletes with a disability

#1: Diede de Groot (tennis) :NED 
#2: Tanguy de la Forest (archery) :FRA 
#3: Anna-Lena Forster (alpine skiing) :GER 
#4: Jesper Pedersen (alpine skiing) :NOR 
#5: Stefano Raimondi (swimming) :ITA 

BEST YOUTH ATHLETE

for athletes up to 18 years old (born after January 1st, 2005) (including Olympic, Non-Olympic and Paralympic sports)

#1: Joshua Tarling (cycling) :GBR 
#2: Mirra Andreeva (tennis) :RUS 
#3: Summer McIntosh (swimming) :CAN 

BEST MEN'S TEAM

for national men's teams or groups (including Olympic, Non-Olympic and Paralympic sports)

#1: Men's teampursuit Denmark (track cycling) :DEN 
#2: Men's 4x100 relay USA (athletics) :USA 
#3: Men's teamsprint Netherlands (track cycling) :NED 

BEST WOMEN'S TEAM

for national women's teams or groups (including Olympic, Non-Olympic and Paralympic sports)

#1: Women's team Netherlands (field hockey) :NED 
#2: Women's team France (handball) :FRA 
#3: Women's teamsprint Germany (track cycling) :GER 

BEST DOUBLES/PAIR OR MIXED TEAM

for doubles and pairs or mixed teams and groups (including Olympic, Non-Olympic and Paralympic sports)

#1: Broenink & Twellaar (rowing) :NED 
#2: Tita & Banti (sailing) :ITA 
#3: Perusic & Schweiner (beach volleyball) :CZE 

BREAKTHROUGH OF THE YEAR

for the most improved athlete (aged 19 or over) or national team (including Olympic, Non-Olympic and Paralympic sports)

#1: Xandra Velzeboer (shorttrack speedskating) :NED 
#2: Evgeniia Chikunova (swimming) :RUS 
#3: Joshua Tarling (cycling) :GBR 

COMEBACK OF THE YEAR

for athletes or national teams who made a comeback performance in 2023 (including Olympic, Non-Olympic and Paralympic sports)

#1: Simone Biles (gymnastics) :USA 
#2: Ruta Meilutyte (swimming) :LTU 
#3: Estavana Polman (handbal) :NED 

SPORT MOMENT OF THE YEAR

#1: Sifan Hassan :NED winning her first two marathons (in her first two participations)
#2: Jannik Sinner :ITA wins the Davis Cup after winning against Djokovic
#3: Simone Biles :USA wins multiple gold medals at the World Gymnastics Championships

2 hours ago, vinipereira said:

I plan to vote tomorrow :)

I'll try to think of my votes tomorrow, although...yeah, insanely difficult :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On 12/20/2023 at 9:31 PM, phelps said:

#4: :NOR Guri Knotten & Juni Arnekleiv (Biathlon)

Guri who? :yikes:

I mean, I watch every World Cup, most of the IBU Cups and check all the results up to Junior Cup and even Alpen Cups, but I don't think I've ever heard of Guri Knotten :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!