website statistics

Commonwealth Games 2022

Totallympics

7 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Canada didn't get enough quotas to enter.... I'd imagine that is the cause of smaller fields.

Yeah, the open allocation system is definitely having an impact in that regard.

8 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Also there is a WC during the CWG's which gives points for the Olympic rankings if I am not mistaken

Yeah, that was cited by Cycling Canada as well: “The Commonwealth Games Mountain Bike XCO falls between two UCI Mountain Bike World Cup events in North America (Snowshoe USA and Mont-Sainte-Anne CAN). These events are a higher priority for both elite and developing athletes.”

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Yeah, the Commonwealth Games has an athlete cap of around 5000 athletes yet instead of putting caps for each event they just tell each nation they can send "X athletes" so they just prioritize their top athletes (yes there are qualifiers for some events, but most of them don't have any). You end up with events like women's wrestling being seriously under represented because outside of Canada/India/Nigeria there isn't as big of a priority to spend their athlete quotas on it.

I know people don't like the Commonwealth Games very much on this site and tbh justifiably so, but I must admit I'm really looking forward to this

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

11 minutes ago, Mkbw50 said:

I know people don't like the Commonwealth Games very much on this site and tbh justifiably so, but I must admit I'm really looking forward to this

Me too. It's mostly people from the non-Commonwealth countries that seem to shit on the Commies.

2 hours ago, Mkbw50 said:

Strange, I personally never had that feeling, why do you think that ? Users are just joking about participation of the likes of :GAB or :TOG and so, :d but I think otherwise the general view for this event is fine, even for me, I usually follow it if I have time + I envy you the games, I would really love to have something like the pan-slavic games here, but will never happen

The usual comments I hear about the CG (not just on this site) are that it's

- Pointless/Farcical/Irrelevant etc - True in a way but all sport is in a way. The organisation seems fine to me compared to other games like the European Games (another bugbear of this forum which I also quite like). The athletes, even world class ones like Peaty seem to take it seriously, for players in lesser known/non-Olympic sports it's good to get attention and it also is key to the development of athletes from :GBR and other nations as it often allows a medal chance

- It's an attempt for the British to pretend their Empire still exists! - I don't actually like the Commonwealth cause I view it as a bit pointless but even if this was true every Games has its grim political undertones, and this is far from the worst.

- It is biased against Third World nations - I hear this a lot as well and I just don't think there's much evidence for it tbh

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

I remember when the Commonwealth Games was live on national TV here in NZ but now its fast losing its relevance here among the public and therefore most of it will be delayed coverage. Perhaps it maybe that its been 32 years since we hosted it and its looking more and more likely we will never host it due to the publics unwillingness to splurge taxpayers money on sporting events now and that a lot of developmental athletes are sent. For me personally its a great stepping stone for athletes who are just starting their careers and that aren't household names as of yet. I think in the future though NZ and Australia pushing for inclusion in the Asian Games may make the CWG almost third tier in the coming decades sadly.