website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

22 minutes ago, Oldira said:

Once the games start the lack of crowds in most sports will be forgotten. Athletics, beach volleyball, gymnastics and basketball will suffer from the lack of crowds but who notices crowds at rowing? Judo? wrestling?  In any case Athletics is the second week and they reverse that decision if everything is going well.

I attended the Boxing in Barcelona and for earlier rounds the arena was about 10% full. My family at home saw me in the crowd every day I was there as the camera kept homing in on the 20-30 noisy Irish bunched together. Even the finals were only half full. I also attened the tennis one day with Graf and other big names playing and the place was near empty. Very different in London admittedly.

I’m pretty sure the lack of crowd will be acutely felt in judo…

48 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Really seems that the US is the only country that could have held the Olympics safely this summer. Going to be very weird to go from full crowds at the US Olympic trials to nobody at all in Tokyo.

(I know the Euros have full crowds but I still question the wisdom of that)

America might not have.The delta variant is already causing a rise there and they could never have got vaccine requirements for the crowds through as a requirement so it would have still been the possibility of an Olympic related surge. 

4 hours ago, Orangehair43 said:

America might not have.The delta variant is already causing a rise there and they could never have got vaccine requirements for the crowds through as a requirement so it would have still been the possibility of an Olympic related surge. 

The majority of our sports stadiums are open at full capacity.  Many people in this country consider the pandemic to be over, so I imagine we would have been much more open to the idea (obviously it's a moot point considering where we were a year ago, so it's not like anyone could have predicted we'd be where we are right now)

29 minutes ago, Oldira said:

Even if the did allow crowds in Tokyo they would not be allowed to cheer etc so it would be eerie in any case.

You can clap, use percussion instruments...

I think this is complete nonsense, they have less than 2k daily cases (still nothing for such a populated country) and the risk of having an outbreak for allowing some spectators is very low.

Really disappointed with the japanese.

Fans wont be allowed enter to the venues, cases are rasing in Japan and Nick Kyrgios withdrew from Olympic tennis tournament. Its about time to cancel entire thing

:p

43 minutes ago, rybak said:

Fans wont be allowed enter to the venues, cases are rasing in Japan and Nick Kyrgios withdrew from Olympic tennis tournament. Its about time to cancel entire thing

A lot of tennis players (and golfers) withdrew from Rio due to Zika.  So I wouldn't necessarily go by them.

14 hours ago, Oldira said:

Once the games start the lack of crowds in most sports will be forgotten. Athletics, beach volleyball, gymnastics and basketball will suffer from the lack of crowds but who notices crowds at rowing? Judo? wrestling?  In any case Athletics is the second week and they reverse that decision if everything is going well.

I attended the Boxing in Barcelona and for earlier rounds the arena was about 10% full. My family at home saw me in the crowd every day I was there as the camera kept homing in on the 20-30 noisy Irish bunched together. Even the finals were only half full. I also attened the tennis one day with Graf and other big names playing and the place was near empty. Very different in London admittedly.

My one experience with wrestling would say otherwise. The Asian fans were pretty damn loud (and a small group of Swedish fans). But then again. It was the days of Saori Yoshida and the quite exceptional Games in London, spectatorwise! :p