website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

1 minute ago, Scorpion said:

I think the news of the absence of the public will cause other qualified athletes to forfeit

Doubt it, the athletes are already used to these circumstances. An Olympic gold doesn't lose its value if there are no spectators. 

Really seems that the US is the only country that could have held the Olympics safely this summer. Going to be very weird to go from full crowds at the US Olympic trials to nobody at all in Tokyo.

(I know the Euros have full crowds but I still question the wisdom of that)

3 minutes ago, dcro said:

At this point, I think everyone will be eager to forget these Games asap. Most of all the Japanese people.

Japan is taking a big L on this one in many ways, it's certainly a bad look that this is where they are with COVID while Europe is having an EURO 2020 with a lot of fans. But as long as there isn't a big COVID outbreak among the athletes, this is going to be a more legit Games than 1980 and 1984 in terms of results. So yeah, if Japan doesn't mess it up (even more), I think it's going to be fine and we will still get many memorable moments. 

Once the games start the lack of crowds in most sports will be forgotten. Athletics, beach volleyball, gymnastics and basketball will suffer from the lack of crowds but who notices crowds at rowing? Judo? wrestling?  In any case Athletics is the second week and they reverse that decision if everything is going well.

I attended the Boxing in Barcelona and for earlier rounds the arena was about 10% full. My family at home saw me in the crowd every day I was there as the camera kept homing in on the 20-30 noisy Irish bunched together. Even the finals were only half full. I also attened the tennis one day with Graf and other big names playing and the place was near empty. Very different in London admittedly.