website statistics
Jump to content

rybak

Totallympics Gold Medallist
  • Content Count

    5,113
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    32

Reputation Activity

  1. Love
    rybak got a reaction from mrv86 in Totallympics Annual International Song Contest 2021   
    The second team which we will introduce today is...
     
    Leszno Speedway Racers
     

     
    The team consists of four countries
     
     Mexico  Finland  Argentina  Czech Republic  
    Speedway, also called Motorcycle speedway is a motorcycle sport involving four and sometimes up to six riders competing over four anti-clockwise laps of an oval circuit. The motorcycles are specialist machines which use only one gear and have no brakes; racing takes place on a flat oval track usually consisting of dirt, loosely packed shale, or crushed rock (mostly used in Australia and New Zealand). Competitors use this surface to slide their machines sideways, powersliding or broadsiding into the bends. On the straight sections of the track the motorcycles reach speeds of up to 70 miles per hour (110 km/h).
     
    There are now both domestic and international competitions in a number of countries including the Speedway World Cup whilst the highest overall scoring individual in the Speedway Grand Prix events is pronounced the world champion. Speedway is popular in Central and Northern Europe and to a lesser extent in Australia and North America. A variant of track racing, speedway is administered internationally by the Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM). Domestic speedway events are regulated by FIM affiliated national motor sport federations.
     

     
    Speedway is one of the most popular sports in Poland and is governed by the Main Commission for Speedway Sport which is a part of the Polish Motor Union (Polski Związek Motorowy - PZM). The PZM is a member of the FIM and the Union Européenne de Motocyclisme (UEM).
    The Polish Extraleague has the highest average attendances for any sport in Poland. The first speedway meetings in Poland were held in the 1930s and league racing began in 1948 There are three championships in Poland: individual (IMP), pairs (MPPK) and team (the DMP consisting of three leagues). The Junior under-21 championships also has three competitions: individual (MIMP), pairs (MMPPK) and team (MDMP). There are three leagues: Extraleague, First League and Second League. In the 2007 season, the Extraleague and First League had eight teams competing and the Second League had seven teams. The GKSŻ organizes the Golden Helmet, Silver Helmet (Under-21) and Bronze Helmet (Under-19) competitions. Individual meetings such as the Criterium of Polish Speedway League Aces – Mieczysław Połukard Memorial, Alfred Smoczyk Memorial and Edward Jancarz Memorial are also popular.
     
    The Polish National team are the final champions of the now-defunct Speedway World Cup, having won the competition eight times in all. Poland has produced three Individual World Champions, Jerzy Szczakiel in 1973, Tomasz Gollob in 2010 and Bartosz Zmarzlik in 2019 and 2020. The Polish junior team won the Under-21 World Championship in 2005 and 2006 and since 2003 four Polish juniors have won the Under-21 Individual World Championship. In total, seven Polish riders have been World Champions at Under-21 level.
     
    Now, after some sport emotions, let's visit the team base, city of Leszno.
     

     
    Leszno is a historic city in western Poland, within the Greater Poland Voivodeship. It is the seventh-largest city in the province. Currently it's the seat of Leszno County.
     
    The city's unrecorded history dates back to the 13th century. It was first mentioned in historical documents in 1393, when the estate was the property of a noble named Stefan Karnin-Wieniawa. The family eventually adopted the name Leszczyński (literal meaning "of Leszno"), derived from the name of their estate as was the custom among the Polish nobility.
     

     
    In around 1516, a community of Protestants known as the Unity of the Brethren (Unitas fratrum) were expelled from the Bohemian lands by King Vladislaus II and settled in Leszno. They were invited by the Leszczyński family, who were since 1473 imperial counts and had converted to Calvinism. The arrival of the Bohemian Protestants as well as weavers from nearby Silesia helped the settlement to grow and made it possible to become a town in 1547 by a privilege according to Magdeburg Law granted by King Sigismund I of Poland. Leszno was a private town, administratively located in the Wschowa County in the Poznań Voivodeship in the Greater Poland Province of the Polish Crown, Leszno was also the largest printing center in Greater Poland thanks to the activity of the Protestant community, whose number continuously increased because of inflow of refugees from Silesia, Bohemia and Moravia during the Thirty Years War. In 1631, Leszno was vested with further privileges by King Sigismund III Vasa, treating it as equal with the most important cities of Poland such as Kraków, Gdańsk and Warsaw. By the 17th century, the town had a renowned Gymnasium (school) which was headed by Jan Amos Komenský (known in English as Comenius), an educator and the last bishop of the Unity of the Brethren. From 1638 until his death in 1647, Johann Heermann, a German-speaking poet, lived in Leszno. Between 1636 and 1639, the town became fortified and its area increased
     
    The era of Leszno's prosperity and cultural prominence ended during the Second Northern War, when the town was burnt down on 28 April 1656 by the Swedes. Quickly rebuilt afterwards, it was again set on fire during the Great Northern War by Russian forces in 1707 and was ravaged by plague in 1709. The Leszczyński family owned the city until 1738 when King Stanislaus I Leszczyński sold it to Alexander Joseph Sułkowski following his abdication. One of two main routes connecting Warsaw and Dresden ran through Leszno in the 18th century and Kings Augustus II the Strong and Augustus III of Poland often traveled that route.
     
    One of attractions is Town Hall, a Baroque three-story building with a tall, slender tower, the seat of Leszno's authorities, considered to be one of the most beautiful town halls in Greater Poland. The first town hall in Leszno was built in the years 1637-1639. It was consumed by a fire in 1656. Reconstruction took place in 1660 under the leadership of Martin Woyda, but the building burned down again in 1707, during the Northern War.
     

     
    The existing building dates from the years 1707-1708 or 1709, and its architect was the Italian architect Pompeo Ferrari, brought by the starost of Greater Poland, Rafał Leszczyński. It was rebuilt several times. In 2020, the façade and the ground floor were renovated with a change of colors.
     
    The Town Hall in Leszno is built on a rectangular plan and has three floors. The corners of the body are emphasized by double Corinthian columns. The entrance is dominated by a four-sided tower with clock faces, topped with an observation deck and an octagonal turret with a tin cupola and a double dome. Above the entrance portal there is a cartouche of the Sułkowski family, Sulima (1738) and Iustica - the personification of law and justice, who holds a sword in her right hand and a scales in her left hand. There are also numerous commemorative plaques on the facade, including built on the occasion of the 300th birthday of King Stanisław Leszczyński, a plaque commemorating the 400th anniversary of the city and dedicated to the soldiers of the Leszno garrison defending the city in 1939. In some rooms, barrel vaults with lunettes have been preserved. 
     

  2. Love
    rybak got a reaction from mrv86 in Totallympics Annual International Song Contest 2021   
    Today we will introduce another two teams, first of them are...
     
    Toruń Gingerbreads
     

     
    The team consists of five countries
     
     Ireland  Germany  Brazil  Bulgaria  India  
    Toruń gingerbread (Pierniki Toruńskie in Polish) is a traditional Polish gingerbread that has been produced since the Middle Ages in the city of Toruń.
     
    Pierniki Toruńskie, as they are known in Polish, are an icon of Poland's national cuisine. They have traditionally been presented as a gift by the city of Toruń to Polish leaders, artists and others who have distinguished themselves in Polish society, and to Polish kings. Baking molds survive with likenesses of king Sigismund III of Poland, king Władysław IV Vasa and Queen Cecilia Renata as well as the royal seal with the Polish eagle and crests of several provinces. Other notables who have received gift gingerbread from the city include Marie Casimire Louise (French princess and widow of King John III Sobieski), Napoléon Bonaparte (during whose visit the whole city was illuminated and bells were rung all over the city), Zygmunt Krasiński (one of Poland's Three Bards), painter Jan Matejko, actress Helena Modjeska, Marshal Józef Piłsudski, pianist Artur Rubinstein, poet Czesław Miłosz, Lech Wałęsa and Pope John Paul II.
     

     
    Since at least the Middle Ages, pierniki have been connected with Toruń in Polish proverbs and legends. One legend claims that gingerbread was a gift from the Queen of the Bees to the apprentice Bogumił. A 17th-century epigram by poet Fryderyk Hoffman speaks of the four best things in Poland: "The vodka of Gdańsk, Toruń gingerbread, the ladies of Kraków, and the Warsaw shoes".
     
    The 18th-century poet and fabulist Ignacy Krasicki, who greatly favored the gingerbread, wrote of them in his celebrated poems. When the precocious 15-year-old composer Frédéric Chopin visited Szafarnia, a small village near the river Drwęca, he stopped over in Toruń, where he was a guest of his godfather, the penologist Fryderyk Florian Skarbek. Chopin sampled the city's famous confection and grew so fond of it that he wrote a letter about it to his friends and colleagues. He even sent some to Warsaw. In honor of this, Poland's largest producer of Toruń gingerbread, the Kopernik Confectionery Company, has created a special heart-shaped gingerbread called Scherzo, bearing Chopin's likeness on the wrapper.
     

     
    Toruń holds an annual celebration of gingerbread called "Święto Piernika" (the Gingerbread Festival).
     
    There are two main producers of Toruń gingerbread: the confectionery factory "Kopernik" S.A., and the Toruń Bakery. The first upholds its legal rights to the brand name and is the successor to a company that was founded in 1763 by Johann Weese. The second company was formed by Toruń bakers who specialized in producing gingerbread; its aim is to spread knowledge of the craft and to produce fine gingerbread for restaurants, parties and elite meetings.
     
    Did you bought some gingerbreads already? If yes, let's go to visit the team base Toruń.
     

     
    Toruń is a historical city on the Vistula River in north-central Poland and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Since 1999, Toruń has been a seat of the self-government of the Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship and is one of its two capitals, together with Bydgoszcz. The cities and neighboring counties form the Bydgoszcz–Toruń twin city metropolitan area.
     
    Toruń is one of the oldest cities in Poland, with the first settlement dated back to the 8th century and later having been expanded in 1233 by the Teutonic Knights. Over centuries, it was the home for people of diverse backgrounds and religions. From 1264 until 1411, Toruń was part of the Hanseatic League and by the 17th century it was one of the elite trading points, which greatly affected the city's architecture ranging from Brick Gothic to Mannerism and Baroque. In the early-modern age, Toruń was a royal city of Poland and it was one of the four largest cities in the country at the time. Toruń is renowned for the Museum of Gingerbread, whose baking tradition dates back nearly a millennium, as well as its large Cathedral. Toruń is noted for its very high standard of living and quality of life. In 1997, the medieval part of the city was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site. In 2007, the Old Town of Toruń was added to the list of Seven Wonders of Poland. This city is also the birthplace of astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus.
     



     
    First attraction where we will go is Museum of Gingerbread (Muzeum Piernika in Polish) it's a museum located in medieval old town of Toruń. Visitors take part in an interactive show through which they are taught how to make a traditional gingerbread. The show consist of two parts - first visitors are shown how the dough was made in Middle Ages. Having prepared dough, everyone then makes their own gingerbread using traditional baking molds. Throughout the whole show visitors are guided by the master of bakery, a gingerbread witch and the craftsmen. The museum is located on 9, Rabiańska Strett, in an early 19th-century granary, and visitors also participate in flour production using millstones. The museum forms part of the gingerbread tradition still living in town.
     

     
    Another place is Artus Manor, a local government cultural institution, established in 1995. The style of the building is defined as the Dutch Neo-Renaissance. The façade is three-storey, built with face brick with significant use of red sandstone (ground floor, decorative details), significantly oversized in relation to the adjacent buildings of the Market Square. Apart from neo-Renaissance motifs, there are also references to the original, Gothic-Renaissance building - sharp-edged windows and bossage on the ground floor, turrets flanking the façade, crenellation crowning the building. The structure is covered with a high, hipped roof - its silhouette is clearly visible in the skyline of Toruń.
     

     
    As next we will visit a Planetarium - space popularization center. The planetarium, whose first director was Lucjan Broniewicz, was opened on February 17, 1994. On February 19 of the same year, the first astronomical show took place there. Over the next few years, changes took place during the presentation of the shows. In May 1995, the slides presented by the projector in the planetarium were combined into panoramas. In November 1997, the "all-sky" system was set up, which allowed the entire dome to be covered with a slide image. From June 26, 2005, the planetarium also hosts an interactive exhibition - Orbitarium.
    The main planetarium projector (RFP model) was produced by the German company Zeiss. The dome of the planetarium, creating an artificial sky, is 15 meters in diameter, which makes it one of the three largest in Poland. There are 196 seats in the projection room under the dome. On February 12, 2018, an exhibition - MARS # 17 Base was opened in the planetarium. On March 2, 2019, the authorities of the facility organized a celebration of its 25th anniversary 
     


     
    The Copernicus House is a historic, Gothic tenement house which belonged to the Copernicus family in the second half of the 15th century. It is considered by many historians to be the birthplace of Nicolaus Copernicus.
     
    The tenement house dates back to 1370 and is what was called a granary house, which in the Middle Ages performed both residential and storage functions. At the end of the 14th century, the cloth merchant Herbord Platte became the owner of the house. In 1459, Lucas I Watzenrode, Nicolaus Copernicus' grandfather, took over the house from his nephew, Szymon Falbrecht, and soon gave it to his daughter Barbara Watzenrode and her spouse, Nicolaus Copernicus senior. Many historians point to this building as the place where Nicolaus Copernicus was born in 1473. 7 years after Nicolaus Copernicus was born, in 1480, the Copernicus family sold the building to Georg Polnische.
     

     
    In the nineteenth century, the building was adapted for rental apartments. At that time, its interiors were rebuilt and the facade was plastered. In 1929 the house was entered in the register of monuments for the first time. It was put on this list again in 1970.
    The tenement house was renovated between 1972 and 1973. During the works, its former spatial layout was restored, reconstructing, among others, a tall vestibule with a kitchen corner, a staircase and a wooden suspended room (ground floor). Renovation also included the building's façade decorated with a sharp-edged portal, brick friezes and vertical recesses decorated with traceries. Since 1973 the building houses the Nicolaus Copernicus Museum.
  3. Like
    rybak got a reaction from OlympicIRL in Totallympics Annual International Song Contest 2021   
    Today we will introduce another two teams, first of them are...
     
    Toruń Gingerbreads
     

     
    The team consists of five countries
     
     Ireland  Germany  Brazil  Bulgaria  India  
    Toruń gingerbread (Pierniki Toruńskie in Polish) is a traditional Polish gingerbread that has been produced since the Middle Ages in the city of Toruń.
     
    Pierniki Toruńskie, as they are known in Polish, are an icon of Poland's national cuisine. They have traditionally been presented as a gift by the city of Toruń to Polish leaders, artists and others who have distinguished themselves in Polish society, and to Polish kings. Baking molds survive with likenesses of king Sigismund III of Poland, king Władysław IV Vasa and Queen Cecilia Renata as well as the royal seal with the Polish eagle and crests of several provinces. Other notables who have received gift gingerbread from the city include Marie Casimire Louise (French princess and widow of King John III Sobieski), Napoléon Bonaparte (during whose visit the whole city was illuminated and bells were rung all over the city), Zygmunt Krasiński (one of Poland's Three Bards), painter Jan Matejko, actress Helena Modjeska, Marshal Józef Piłsudski, pianist Artur Rubinstein, poet Czesław Miłosz, Lech Wałęsa and Pope John Paul II.
     

     
    Since at least the Middle Ages, pierniki have been connected with Toruń in Polish proverbs and legends. One legend claims that gingerbread was a gift from the Queen of the Bees to the apprentice Bogumił. A 17th-century epigram by poet Fryderyk Hoffman speaks of the four best things in Poland: "The vodka of Gdańsk, Toruń gingerbread, the ladies of Kraków, and the Warsaw shoes".
     
    The 18th-century poet and fabulist Ignacy Krasicki, who greatly favored the gingerbread, wrote of them in his celebrated poems. When the precocious 15-year-old composer Frédéric Chopin visited Szafarnia, a small village near the river Drwęca, he stopped over in Toruń, where he was a guest of his godfather, the penologist Fryderyk Florian Skarbek. Chopin sampled the city's famous confection and grew so fond of it that he wrote a letter about it to his friends and colleagues. He even sent some to Warsaw. In honor of this, Poland's largest producer of Toruń gingerbread, the Kopernik Confectionery Company, has created a special heart-shaped gingerbread called Scherzo, bearing Chopin's likeness on the wrapper.
     

     
    Toruń holds an annual celebration of gingerbread called "Święto Piernika" (the Gingerbread Festival).
     
    There are two main producers of Toruń gingerbread: the confectionery factory "Kopernik" S.A., and the Toruń Bakery. The first upholds its legal rights to the brand name and is the successor to a company that was founded in 1763 by Johann Weese. The second company was formed by Toruń bakers who specialized in producing gingerbread; its aim is to spread knowledge of the craft and to produce fine gingerbread for restaurants, parties and elite meetings.
     
    Did you bought some gingerbreads already? If yes, let's go to visit the team base Toruń.
     

     
    Toruń is a historical city on the Vistula River in north-central Poland and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Since 1999, Toruń has been a seat of the self-government of the Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship and is one of its two capitals, together with Bydgoszcz. The cities and neighboring counties form the Bydgoszcz–Toruń twin city metropolitan area.
     
    Toruń is one of the oldest cities in Poland, with the first settlement dated back to the 8th century and later having been expanded in 1233 by the Teutonic Knights. Over centuries, it was the home for people of diverse backgrounds and religions. From 1264 until 1411, Toruń was part of the Hanseatic League and by the 17th century it was one of the elite trading points, which greatly affected the city's architecture ranging from Brick Gothic to Mannerism and Baroque. In the early-modern age, Toruń was a royal city of Poland and it was one of the four largest cities in the country at the time. Toruń is renowned for the Museum of Gingerbread, whose baking tradition dates back nearly a millennium, as well as its large Cathedral. Toruń is noted for its very high standard of living and quality of life. In 1997, the medieval part of the city was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site. In 2007, the Old Town of Toruń was added to the list of Seven Wonders of Poland. This city is also the birthplace of astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus.
     



     
    First attraction where we will go is Museum of Gingerbread (Muzeum Piernika in Polish) it's a museum located in medieval old town of Toruń. Visitors take part in an interactive show through which they are taught how to make a traditional gingerbread. The show consist of two parts - first visitors are shown how the dough was made in Middle Ages. Having prepared dough, everyone then makes their own gingerbread using traditional baking molds. Throughout the whole show visitors are guided by the master of bakery, a gingerbread witch and the craftsmen. The museum is located on 9, Rabiańska Strett, in an early 19th-century granary, and visitors also participate in flour production using millstones. The museum forms part of the gingerbread tradition still living in town.
     

     
    Another place is Artus Manor, a local government cultural institution, established in 1995. The style of the building is defined as the Dutch Neo-Renaissance. The façade is three-storey, built with face brick with significant use of red sandstone (ground floor, decorative details), significantly oversized in relation to the adjacent buildings of the Market Square. Apart from neo-Renaissance motifs, there are also references to the original, Gothic-Renaissance building - sharp-edged windows and bossage on the ground floor, turrets flanking the façade, crenellation crowning the building. The structure is covered with a high, hipped roof - its silhouette is clearly visible in the skyline of Toruń.
     

     
    As next we will visit a Planetarium - space popularization center. The planetarium, whose first director was Lucjan Broniewicz, was opened on February 17, 1994. On February 19 of the same year, the first astronomical show took place there. Over the next few years, changes took place during the presentation of the shows. In May 1995, the slides presented by the projector in the planetarium were combined into panoramas. In November 1997, the "all-sky" system was set up, which allowed the entire dome to be covered with a slide image. From June 26, 2005, the planetarium also hosts an interactive exhibition - Orbitarium.
    The main planetarium projector (RFP model) was produced by the German company Zeiss. The dome of the planetarium, creating an artificial sky, is 15 meters in diameter, which makes it one of the three largest in Poland. There are 196 seats in the projection room under the dome. On February 12, 2018, an exhibition - MARS # 17 Base was opened in the planetarium. On March 2, 2019, the authorities of the facility organized a celebration of its 25th anniversary 
     


     
    The Copernicus House is a historic, Gothic tenement house which belonged to the Copernicus family in the second half of the 15th century. It is considered by many historians to be the birthplace of Nicolaus Copernicus.
     
    The tenement house dates back to 1370 and is what was called a granary house, which in the Middle Ages performed both residential and storage functions. At the end of the 14th century, the cloth merchant Herbord Platte became the owner of the house. In 1459, Lucas I Watzenrode, Nicolaus Copernicus' grandfather, took over the house from his nephew, Szymon Falbrecht, and soon gave it to his daughter Barbara Watzenrode and her spouse, Nicolaus Copernicus senior. Many historians point to this building as the place where Nicolaus Copernicus was born in 1473. 7 years after Nicolaus Copernicus was born, in 1480, the Copernicus family sold the building to Georg Polnische.
     

     
    In the nineteenth century, the building was adapted for rental apartments. At that time, its interiors were rebuilt and the facade was plastered. In 1929 the house was entered in the register of monuments for the first time. It was put on this list again in 1970.
    The tenement house was renovated between 1972 and 1973. During the works, its former spatial layout was restored, reconstructing, among others, a tall vestibule with a kitchen corner, a staircase and a wooden suspended room (ground floor). Renovation also included the building's façade decorated with a sharp-edged portal, brick friezes and vertical recesses decorated with traceries. Since 1973 the building houses the Nicolaus Copernicus Museum.
  4. Like
    rybak got a reaction from Wumo in Totallympics Annual International Song Contest 2021   
    Today we will introduce another two teams, first of them are...
     
    Toruń Gingerbreads
     

     
    The team consists of five countries
     
     Ireland  Germany  Brazil  Bulgaria  India  
    Toruń gingerbread (Pierniki Toruńskie in Polish) is a traditional Polish gingerbread that has been produced since the Middle Ages in the city of Toruń.
     
    Pierniki Toruńskie, as they are known in Polish, are an icon of Poland's national cuisine. They have traditionally been presented as a gift by the city of Toruń to Polish leaders, artists and others who have distinguished themselves in Polish society, and to Polish kings. Baking molds survive with likenesses of king Sigismund III of Poland, king Władysław IV Vasa and Queen Cecilia Renata as well as the royal seal with the Polish eagle and crests of several provinces. Other notables who have received gift gingerbread from the city include Marie Casimire Louise (French princess and widow of King John III Sobieski), Napoléon Bonaparte (during whose visit the whole city was illuminated and bells were rung all over the city), Zygmunt Krasiński (one of Poland's Three Bards), painter Jan Matejko, actress Helena Modjeska, Marshal Józef Piłsudski, pianist Artur Rubinstein, poet Czesław Miłosz, Lech Wałęsa and Pope John Paul II.
     

     
    Since at least the Middle Ages, pierniki have been connected with Toruń in Polish proverbs and legends. One legend claims that gingerbread was a gift from the Queen of the Bees to the apprentice Bogumił. A 17th-century epigram by poet Fryderyk Hoffman speaks of the four best things in Poland: "The vodka of Gdańsk, Toruń gingerbread, the ladies of Kraków, and the Warsaw shoes".
     
    The 18th-century poet and fabulist Ignacy Krasicki, who greatly favored the gingerbread, wrote of them in his celebrated poems. When the precocious 15-year-old composer Frédéric Chopin visited Szafarnia, a small village near the river Drwęca, he stopped over in Toruń, where he was a guest of his godfather, the penologist Fryderyk Florian Skarbek. Chopin sampled the city's famous confection and grew so fond of it that he wrote a letter about it to his friends and colleagues. He even sent some to Warsaw. In honor of this, Poland's largest producer of Toruń gingerbread, the Kopernik Confectionery Company, has created a special heart-shaped gingerbread called Scherzo, bearing Chopin's likeness on the wrapper.
     

     
    Toruń holds an annual celebration of gingerbread called "Święto Piernika" (the Gingerbread Festival).
     
    There are two main producers of Toruń gingerbread: the confectionery factory "Kopernik" S.A., and the Toruń Bakery. The first upholds its legal rights to the brand name and is the successor to a company that was founded in 1763 by Johann Weese. The second company was formed by Toruń bakers who specialized in producing gingerbread; its aim is to spread knowledge of the craft and to produce fine gingerbread for restaurants, parties and elite meetings.
     
    Did you bought some gingerbreads already? If yes, let's go to visit the team base Toruń.
     

     
    Toruń is a historical city on the Vistula River in north-central Poland and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Since 1999, Toruń has been a seat of the self-government of the Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship and is one of its two capitals, together with Bydgoszcz. The cities and neighboring counties form the Bydgoszcz–Toruń twin city metropolitan area.
     
    Toruń is one of the oldest cities in Poland, with the first settlement dated back to the 8th century and later having been expanded in 1233 by the Teutonic Knights. Over centuries, it was the home for people of diverse backgrounds and religions. From 1264 until 1411, Toruń was part of the Hanseatic League and by the 17th century it was one of the elite trading points, which greatly affected the city's architecture ranging from Brick Gothic to Mannerism and Baroque. In the early-modern age, Toruń was a royal city of Poland and it was one of the four largest cities in the country at the time. Toruń is renowned for the Museum of Gingerbread, whose baking tradition dates back nearly a millennium, as well as its large Cathedral. Toruń is noted for its very high standard of living and quality of life. In 1997, the medieval part of the city was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site. In 2007, the Old Town of Toruń was added to the list of Seven Wonders of Poland. This city is also the birthplace of astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus.
     



     
    First attraction where we will go is Museum of Gingerbread (Muzeum Piernika in Polish) it's a museum located in medieval old town of Toruń. Visitors take part in an interactive show through which they are taught how to make a traditional gingerbread. The show consist of two parts - first visitors are shown how the dough was made in Middle Ages. Having prepared dough, everyone then makes their own gingerbread using traditional baking molds. Throughout the whole show visitors are guided by the master of bakery, a gingerbread witch and the craftsmen. The museum is located on 9, Rabiańska Strett, in an early 19th-century granary, and visitors also participate in flour production using millstones. The museum forms part of the gingerbread tradition still living in town.
     

     
    Another place is Artus Manor, a local government cultural institution, established in 1995. The style of the building is defined as the Dutch Neo-Renaissance. The façade is three-storey, built with face brick with significant use of red sandstone (ground floor, decorative details), significantly oversized in relation to the adjacent buildings of the Market Square. Apart from neo-Renaissance motifs, there are also references to the original, Gothic-Renaissance building - sharp-edged windows and bossage on the ground floor, turrets flanking the façade, crenellation crowning the building. The structure is covered with a high, hipped roof - its silhouette is clearly visible in the skyline of Toruń.
     

     
    As next we will visit a Planetarium - space popularization center. The planetarium, whose first director was Lucjan Broniewicz, was opened on February 17, 1994. On February 19 of the same year, the first astronomical show took place there. Over the next few years, changes took place during the presentation of the shows. In May 1995, the slides presented by the projector in the planetarium were combined into panoramas. In November 1997, the "all-sky" system was set up, which allowed the entire dome to be covered with a slide image. From June 26, 2005, the planetarium also hosts an interactive exhibition - Orbitarium.
    The main planetarium projector (RFP model) was produced by the German company Zeiss. The dome of the planetarium, creating an artificial sky, is 15 meters in diameter, which makes it one of the three largest in Poland. There are 196 seats in the projection room under the dome. On February 12, 2018, an exhibition - MARS # 17 Base was opened in the planetarium. On March 2, 2019, the authorities of the facility organized a celebration of its 25th anniversary 
     


     
    The Copernicus House is a historic, Gothic tenement house which belonged to the Copernicus family in the second half of the 15th century. It is considered by many historians to be the birthplace of Nicolaus Copernicus.
     
    The tenement house dates back to 1370 and is what was called a granary house, which in the Middle Ages performed both residential and storage functions. At the end of the 14th century, the cloth merchant Herbord Platte became the owner of the house. In 1459, Lucas I Watzenrode, Nicolaus Copernicus' grandfather, took over the house from his nephew, Szymon Falbrecht, and soon gave it to his daughter Barbara Watzenrode and her spouse, Nicolaus Copernicus senior. Many historians point to this building as the place where Nicolaus Copernicus was born in 1473. 7 years after Nicolaus Copernicus was born, in 1480, the Copernicus family sold the building to Georg Polnische.
     

     
    In the nineteenth century, the building was adapted for rental apartments. At that time, its interiors were rebuilt and the facade was plastered. In 1929 the house was entered in the register of monuments for the first time. It was put on this list again in 1970.
    The tenement house was renovated between 1972 and 1973. During the works, its former spatial layout was restored, reconstructing, among others, a tall vestibule with a kitchen corner, a staircase and a wooden suspended room (ground floor). Renovation also included the building's façade decorated with a sharp-edged portal, brick friezes and vertical recesses decorated with traceries. Since 1973 the building houses the Nicolaus Copernicus Museum.
  5. Wow!
    rybak reacted to Olympian1010 in Totallympics Annual International Song Contest 2021   
    I think we’re good. One or both of us will likely be present then.
  6. Haha
    rybak got a reaction from Gianlu33 in Summer Olympic Games 2020 News   
    Those 39.2% people should cancelled themselves...
     
    We are almost 100 days away from the Opening Ceremony and Olympics aren't an domestic event that could be cancelled or even postponed in such short time.
  7. Haha
    rybak got a reaction from dcro in Summer Olympic Games 2020 News   
    Those 39.2% people should cancelled themselves...
     
    We are almost 100 days away from the Opening Ceremony and Olympics aren't an domestic event that could be cancelled or even postponed in such short time.
  8. Haha
    rybak got a reaction from MHSN in Summer Olympic Games 2020 News   
    Those 39.2% people should cancelled themselves...
     
    We are almost 100 days away from the Opening Ceremony and Olympics aren't an domestic event that could be cancelled or even postponed in such short time.
  9. Haha
    rybak got a reaction from intoronto in Summer Olympic Games 2020 News   
    Those 39.2% people should cancelled themselves...
     
    We are almost 100 days away from the Opening Ceremony and Olympics aren't an domestic event that could be cancelled or even postponed in such short time.
  10. Haha
    rybak reacted to OlympicIRL in Totallympics Suggestions and Problems Thread   
    And for once the penguins are not to blame. Or are they? 
  11. Haha
    rybak reacted to dcro in Totallympics Annual International Song Contest 2021   
    TISC week is here... I'm sitting in office, when suddenly Emotions start playing on the radio...
     
    Okay, who is behind this?
  12. Love
    rybak got a reaction from mrv86 in Totallympics Annual International Song Contest 2021   
    Next team which will be introduce is...
     
    Podlasie Bisons
     

     
    The team consists of four countries
     
     United States  Poland  Netherlands  France  
    The European bison (Bison bonasus) (Żubr in Polish) is a European species of bison. It is one of two extant species of bison, alongside the American bison. The European bison is the heaviest wild land animal in Europe and individuals in the past may have been even larger than modern animals. During late antiquity and the Middle Ages, bison became extinct in much of Europe and Asia, surviving into the 20th century only in northern-central Europe and the northern Caucasus Mountains. During the early years of the 20th century bison were hunted to extinction in the wild. The species — now numbering several thousand and returned to the wild by captive breeding programmes — is no longer in immediate danger of extinction, but remains absent from most of its historical range. It is not to be confused with the aurochs (Bos primigenius), the extinct ancestor of domestic cattle, with which it once co-existed.
     

     
    It's one of the national animals of Poland and Belarus. Due to this and the fact that half of the worldwide European bison population can be found spread across these two countries, the wisent is still featured prominently in the heraldry of these neighbouring states (especially in the overlapping region of Eastern Poland and Western Belarus). Examples in Poland include the coats of arms of: the counties of Hajnówka and Zambrów, the towns Sokółka and Żywiec, the villages Białowieża and Narewka, as well as the coats of arms of the Pomian and Wieniawa families.
     
    A flavoured vodka called Żubrówka  originating as a recipe of the szlachta of the Kingdom of Poland in the 14th century, has since 1928 been industrially produced as a brand in Poland. In the decades that followed, it became known as the "world's best known Polish vodka" and sparked the creation of a number of copy brands inspired by the original in Belarus, Russia, Germany, as well as other brands in Poland. The original Polish brand is known for placing a decorative blade of bison grass from the Białowieża Forest in each bottle of their product; both the plant's name in Polish and the vodka are named after żubr, the Polish name for the European bison.
     
    After drinking some Żubrówka's vodka it's time to present the base of Podlasie Bisons which is a city Augustów.
     
     
     
    Augustów is a city in north-eastern Poland. It lies on the Netta River and the Augustów Canal. It is situated in the Podlaskie Voivodeship (since 1999). It is the seat of Augustów County and of Gmina Augustów. In 1970, Augustów became officially recognized as a health and relaxation resort. In 1973, surrounding settlements were named a part of it, forming a popular resort town.
     
    The town, although small, has many attractions for the visitors. The Oficerski Yacht Club Hotel, built in the 1930s, is an army yacht club that has been restored and converted into a resort. It is located on the edge of one of many lakes in the region. Pope John Paul II has a memorial chair from the first and last time he visited the town right outside the club. Boat tours are also popular and the old town square still has its original cobblestone streets.
     

     
    One of the attractions is Sanctuary of Our Lady of Studzieniczańska - a Marian sanctuary in the Diocese of Ełk located in Studzieniczna (administrative part of Augustów)
    According to legend, in pagan times there was a place of worship in Studzieniczna, as evidenced by centuries-old oaks. The beginnings of the cult of the Virgin Mary in the vicinity of Augustów date back to the 17th century. According to the records from 1689, paintings of the Virgin Mary were brought to the town. A visit to the Augustów deanery from 1700 confirms that there was a place famous for miracles in the deanery at that time, but its exact location is not known. A later document - a letter from the prior of the Camaldolese Order from Wigry to the Vilnius curia from 1740 - contains a note that on the island of Studzieniczne Lake, a copy of the painting of Our Lady of Częstochowa was venerated by the local population from at least 1728. At that time, he also stayed on the island by an unknown name hermit. In 1741 the Augustów parish priest obtained a permit to build a chapel, but due to protests of the Camaldolese monks from Wigry, the construction was delayed.
     
    In 1973, Studzieniczna was incorporated into the administrative boundaries of Augustów. In 1978 and 1979, Primate Stefan Wyszyński rested in the village. On September 17, 1995, the painting of Our Lady of Studzieniczań (a copy of the painting of Our Lady of Częstochowa) was crowned (the ceremonies were attended by, among others, Primate Józef Glemp, Apostolic Nuncio Józef Kowalczyk and President Lech Wałęsa). In June 1999, during the penultimate pilgrimage to Poland, Pope John Paul II visited the sanctuary in Studzieniczna. Next to the chapel on the island there is a monument from 2000 commemorating this event.
     

     
    The church in Studzieniczna was entered in the register of monuments in 1966, and the entire church complex (including the chapel, bell tower and the former church cemetery) - in 1980. In the vicinity of the sanctuary, there is also a historic parish cemetery from the 19th century. 
     
    The other attraction is Augustów Canal - a cross-border canal built by the Kingdom of Poland (being in a personal union with the Russian Empire) in the 19th century in the present-day Podlaskie Voivodeship of northeastern Poland and the Grodno Region of north-western Belarus (then the Augustów Voivodeship of the Kingdom of Poland). From the time it was first built, the canal was described by experts as a technological marvel, with numerous sluices contributing to its aesthetic appeal.
     


     
    It was the first summit level canal in Central Europe to provide a direct link between the two major rivers, Vistula River through the Biebrza River – a tributary of the Narew River, and the Neman River through its tributary – the Czarna Hancza River, and it provided a link with the Black Sea to the south through the Oginski Canal, Daugava River, Berezina Canal and Dnieper River. It uses a post-glacial channel depression, forming the chain of Augustów lakes, and the river valleys of the Biebrza, the Netta, the Czarna Hancza and the Neman, which made it possible to perfectly integrate the Canal with the surrounding elements of the natural environment.
     


    The canal was also named one of already well known here Monument of History, as designated 16 May 2007.
  13. Like
    rybak got a reaction from dcro in Totallympics Annual International Song Contest 2021   
    More than half of the juries already received their set of templates, more to come in next two-three days. So, stay calm everyone who didn't received it yet  
  14. Like
    rybak got a reaction from Makedonas in Rowing FISA European Championships 2021   
    Well thanks, I thought that this only one medal was in lightweight single sculls  
  15. Like
    rybak got a reaction from Gianlu33 in Totallympics Annual International Song Contest 2021   
    The last team which will be introduced today is...
     
    Drawno Otters
     

     
    The team consists of four countries
     
     Italy  Kazakhstan  Canada  Great Britain  
    The Eurasian otter (Lutra lutra), also known as the European otter, Eurasian river otter, common otter, and Old World otter, is a semiaquatic mammal native to Eurasia. The most widely distributed member of the otter subfamily (Lutrinae) of the weasel family (Mustelidae), it is found in the waterways and coasts of Europe, many parts of Asia, and parts of northern Africa. The Eurasian otter has a diet mainly of fish, and is strongly territorial. It is endangered in some parts of its range, but is recovering in others.
     
    The Eurasian otter's diet mainly consists of fish. Fish is their most preferred choice of food in Mediterranean and temperate freshwater habitats. During the winter and in colder environments, though, fish consumption is significantly lower, and the otters use other sources of food, including amphibians, crustaceans, insects, birds and sometimes small mammals, including young beavers.
     

     
    After seeing those cute otters it's time to present the base for the team which is a small town Drawno.
     

     
    Drawno is a town in Choszczno County, West Pomeranian Voivodeship. The headquarters of the Drawa National Park (Drawieński Park Narodowy in Polish) are located here.
     
    Traces of settlement in the area of today's Drawno date back to the Stone Age. This is evidenced by numerous archaeological finds, such as a stone hatchet or a standard hatchet. The local population was engaged in agriculture, hunting, beekeeping, tar and hunting. In the 10th – 11th centuries, using the convenient location between two lakes, a Slavic stronghold and a fishing settlement were established here. Until the beginning of the 12th century, the lands of Pomerania belonged to the Pomeranian Duchy, and it was not until 1269 that it came under the rule of Greater Poland.
     
    In the 17th and 18th centuries, the city experienced a boom associated with the development of the glass and textile industries. Craft weaving collapsed, however, as it could not compete effectively with the textile production of factories established in larger centers. The city experienced a revival after 1870 against the background of the dynamic economic development of the united Germany. In 1853, the Choszczno - Mirosławiec road was built here, and in 1895 the town was included in the railway network as a station on the Choszczno - Kalisz Pomorski route. Nevertheless, due to its rather secluded location and forested surroundings, Drawno remained a small urban center of very local importance. 
     

     
    The main attraction near the the town is Drawa National Park (Drawieński Park Narodowy in Polish) is one of 23 National Parks in country, located in north-western Poland, on the border of Greater Poland, Lubusz and Western Pomeranian Voivodeships. The park is a part of the huge Drawsko Forest (Puszcza Drawska), which lies on the vast Drawsko Plain. It takes its name from the River Drawa. It was created in 1990 and initially covered 86.91 km². Later, it was enlarged to 113.42 square kilometres of which forests account for 96.14 km² (3.68 km² is designated as a strictly protected area), and water bodies cover 9.37 km².
     

     
    Over 80 percent of its area is covered with forests – the great and monumental Drawa Forest stretching from the Drawa Lake District to the Noteć River. It is mostly made up of beech and pine trees. There are picturesque and deep valleys of the Drawa and Plociczna rivers as well as numerous water channels, lakes and peat-bogs. In some places the height can vary by 30 meters within 500 meters. The highest hill (106 m) is located near the Martew lake, in northern part of the Park. The soil in the park is of poor quality and it mainly consists of sand.
     

     
    One of main reasons for the creation of the park was the need for to protect valuable areas along the Drawa and Plocziczna rivers. The Drawa creates interesting valleys and hollows and 40 km of the river is within the borders of the park. The river flows at a quite fast pace, which makes it similar to rivers located in mountains. The Drawa kayaking trail is one of the most picturesque in Poland. Lakes include the meromictic lake Czarne
     
    There are several interesting species of flora in Drawski National Park, among them 210 species of mushrooms, and oak trees up to 400 years old. The oldest trees are strictly protected in the Radecin Preserve. Trees older than 81 years old cover 40% of the forested area of the park.
     


     
    There are 129 species of birds (the most beauty eurasian kingfisher), 40 species of mammals, 7 species of reptiles and 13 species of amphibians. The good quality of water in the lakes and rivers enables various species of fish to flourish. Roe deer, red deer and wild boar are very common in the national park. The park also hosts high populations of eurasian otter and beaver. Occasionally moose and gray wolf can be found in the park.
     
     


     
    The area in the past, when it was located on the border between Poland and Western Pomerania (later Prussia), was regarded as unsuitable for human settlement and only since the 17th century have its forests been cleared for settlement.
    The park is crossed by four attractive tourist trails, for both walking and kayaking. There are camping sites and within some distance hotels. The number of visiting tourists has been increasing year on year.
     

  16. Like
    rybak got a reaction from Wumo in Totallympics Annual International Song Contest 2021   
    The first team, which will be introduced to their base before next week Grand Final, which will take place in Kraków is...
     
    Baltic Cods
     

     
    The team consists of four countries
     
     Moldova  Lithuania  Croatia  Slovenia  
    There are at least two populations of cod in the Baltic Sea: One large population that spawns east of Bornholm and one population spawning west of Bornholm. Eastern Baltic cod is genetically distinct and adapted to the brackish environment. Adaptations include differences in hemoglobin type, osmoregulatory capacity, egg buoyancy, sperm swimming characteristics and spawning season. The adaptive responses to the environmental conditions in the Baltic Sea may contribute to an effective reproductive barrier, and thus, eastern Baltic cod can be viewed as an example of ongoing speciation.
     
    The western Baltic cod consists of one or several small subpopulations that are genetically more similar to the North Sea cod. In the Arkona basin (located off Cape Arkona, Rügen), spawning and migrating cod from both the eastern and western stocks intermingle in proportions that vary seasonally. The immigration of eastern cod into the western Baltic management unit may mask a poor state of the populations in the western management unit.
     
    Without further ado (because I believe that most of us know what cod is ) let's go to presented the town where "Baltic cods" will prepare to Grand Final. Selected town is Władysławowo.
     

     
    Władysławowo is a town located on the south coast of the Baltic Sea in Kashubia in the Eastern Pomerania region in northern part of country. This city is also commonly called "Summer Capital of Poland" since in every summer thousands of tourists arrive there for their vacations.
     

     
    The town have an extensive tourist infrastructure. One of the tourist attractions is the location by the open sea and the Puck Bay, as well as in the vicinity of the Coastal Landscape Park. The city has a seaport located on the open sea, part of which is the western breakwater which also functions as a tourist pier. Five seaside bathing areas have been organized here.
     
    In Władysławowo we can found the promenade named "Sport Stars Alley" with pavement stars with the names and surnames of famous Polish and three foreign sportsmen. Here you can check which athletes have their stars there...
     



     
    In Władysławowo there is the Olympic Preparation Center "Cetniewo". The resort has clay tennis courts and a court in the hall, a football fields, a swimming pool, it has a sports equipment rental. The center is well liked by Polish athletes, annualy in summer on the center is organized an athletics meeting, the center also saw Weightlifting European Championships in 2006.  
     



     
    On May 30, 2012, the only "Ocean Park" in Poland was opened on Żwirowa Street in Władysławowo. The greatest attraction of Ocean Park is the reproduction of the 34-meter blue whale. There you can also see dozens of other marine and ocean mammals and fish, such as: sperm whale, whale shark, great white shark, giant squid and so on. All exhibits are life-size. 
     
    One of the attractions is Dom Rybaka (Fisherman's House) - public building, built in the 1950s, originally erected for hotel purposes. Currently, it is the seat of the Władysławowo City Hall and other institutions. It is the architectural dominant of the city. Part of the building is an observation tower, which allows you to observe a fragment of the Gdańsk Coast.
     

     
    In connection with the plans to build a large fishing port and a fish processing center in Władysławowo in the 1950s, on the initiative of the Minister of Shipping Mieczysław Popiel, the construction of a large hotel for fishermen and sailors was started on the coastal slope. The process of erecting the building took place in the years 1953-1956, and it was put into use in June 1957. It had 150 hotel beds. Due to the person who initiated the construction, the building was originally called "Popielówka", and the tower dominating the building (ironically referring to the famous building in Kruszwica) was called "Popiel's Tower.
     
    It consists of a 4-story main body and a high, 8-story tower; both parts of the building are connected by an arcaded connector. There are two observation decks in the tower: one at 45m above sea level, the other at 63m above sea level.
     
    The tower houses a private Butterfly Museum with over 3,000 exhibits 
     
    To finish presentation of the team and city I recommend you also to watching this video.
     

  17. Like
    rybak got a reaction from Wumo in Totallympics Annual International Song Contest 2021   
    Today we will introduce few teams, at the beginning, staying on the Baltic sea, the first team is...
     
    Hel Grey Seals
     

     
    The team consists of four countries
     
     Romania  China  Malta  Norway  
    The grey seal (Halichoerus grypus) is found on both shores of the North Atlantic Ocean. It is a large seal of the family Phocidae, which are commonly referred to as "true seals" or "earless seals". There are two types of grey seals, one of them, which lives on Baltic sea is "Halichoerus grypus grypus" (lol). 
     
    The grey seal feeds on a wide variety of fish, mostly benthic or demersal species, taken at depths down to 70 m or more. Sand eels (Ammodytes spp) are important in its diet in many localities. Cod (I'm sorry Croatia, Lithuania, Moldova and Slovenia ) and other gadids, flatfish, herring, wrasse and skates are also important locally. However, it is clear that the grey seal will eat whatever is available, including octopus and lobsters. The average daily food requirement is estimated to be 5 kg, though the seal does not feed every day and it fasts during the breeding season.
     
    So, since we already know few things about that animal it's time to present another base, the town Hel.
     

     
    Hel is a town surrounded by forest in Puck County, Pomeranian Voivodeship, located on the tip of the Hel Peninsula, around 33 kilometres from the coast at the "beginning" of Poland. 
     
    After the war the village yet again became a naval base. In 1960 a road linking Hel with Jastarnia on the mainland was built. Three years later city rights were reintroduced. Since then the tourist industry started to recover and several hotels, guest houses and pensions were built. In 1996 the Polish Navy sold all remaining parts of the peninsula to the civilian authorities and only a small naval base is there today.
     
    The harbour now serves primarily as a yacht marina, though there are some fishing boats and ferries to Gdańsk, Sopot and Gdynia in the summer.
     

     
    Hel houses a sea life biological laboratory and there are interesting examples of naval armament and equipment exhibited throughout the town. There is popular beach along the shore between the inner and outer harbour walls, with a seal sanctuary (the Fokarium) just behind it. There is a Fishing Museum, Hel that forms part of the National Maritime Museum, Gdańsk in an old church on the sea front.
     
    Seal Sanctuary (Fokarium in Polish) of the Sea Station of the Institute of Oceanography of the University of Gdańsk is a seal sanctuary that is part of a scientific and research facility - the Sea Station of the Institute of Oceanography of the University of Gdańsk, located in Hel on the Seaside Boulevard.
     


     
    The sealarium consists of a complex of three breeding pools, several small swimming pools (for young and sick individuals requiring rehabilitation) and a didactic and laboratory building with a seminar room and laboratories. The facility conducts research activities aimed at recreating the gray seal colony in the southern Baltic Sea.
     
    It is a great tourist attraction of Hel - at the turn of the 20th/21st century it was visited by approx. 300 thousand people. tourists each year.
    The sealarium is supported by voluntary contributions, EU subsidies, contributions from the University of Gdańsk, selling tickets and a gift shop 
     

     
    The Harbor porpoise located in Hel is a museum dedicated to the Baltic porpoises opened on September 5, 2015.
     


     
    The museum presents showcases and boards containing information about the biology, use of porpoises, their relationship with humans, as well as contemporary problems affecting these animals. Visitors can watch films and animations devoted not only to porpoises, but also other cetaceans that have visited the Polish part of the Baltic Sea in recent decades. These videos show the white-nosed dolphin, fin whale, humpback whales and common dolphins. 
     
    The most easterly edge of Hel, which was once a military territory, can now be accessed by the general public making it possible to walk all the way around the peninsula.
  18. Like
    rybak got a reaction from Wumo in Totallympics Annual International Song Contest 2021   
    Next team which will be introduce is...
     
    Podlasie Bisons
     

     
    The team consists of four countries
     
     United States  Poland  Netherlands  France  
    The European bison (Bison bonasus) (Żubr in Polish) is a European species of bison. It is one of two extant species of bison, alongside the American bison. The European bison is the heaviest wild land animal in Europe and individuals in the past may have been even larger than modern animals. During late antiquity and the Middle Ages, bison became extinct in much of Europe and Asia, surviving into the 20th century only in northern-central Europe and the northern Caucasus Mountains. During the early years of the 20th century bison were hunted to extinction in the wild. The species — now numbering several thousand and returned to the wild by captive breeding programmes — is no longer in immediate danger of extinction, but remains absent from most of its historical range. It is not to be confused with the aurochs (Bos primigenius), the extinct ancestor of domestic cattle, with which it once co-existed.
     

     
    It's one of the national animals of Poland and Belarus. Due to this and the fact that half of the worldwide European bison population can be found spread across these two countries, the wisent is still featured prominently in the heraldry of these neighbouring states (especially in the overlapping region of Eastern Poland and Western Belarus). Examples in Poland include the coats of arms of: the counties of Hajnówka and Zambrów, the towns Sokółka and Żywiec, the villages Białowieża and Narewka, as well as the coats of arms of the Pomian and Wieniawa families.
     
    A flavoured vodka called Żubrówka  originating as a recipe of the szlachta of the Kingdom of Poland in the 14th century, has since 1928 been industrially produced as a brand in Poland. In the decades that followed, it became known as the "world's best known Polish vodka" and sparked the creation of a number of copy brands inspired by the original in Belarus, Russia, Germany, as well as other brands in Poland. The original Polish brand is known for placing a decorative blade of bison grass from the Białowieża Forest in each bottle of their product; both the plant's name in Polish and the vodka are named after żubr, the Polish name for the European bison.
     
    After drinking some Żubrówka's vodka it's time to present the base of Podlasie Bisons which is a city Augustów.
     
     
     
    Augustów is a city in north-eastern Poland. It lies on the Netta River and the Augustów Canal. It is situated in the Podlaskie Voivodeship (since 1999). It is the seat of Augustów County and of Gmina Augustów. In 1970, Augustów became officially recognized as a health and relaxation resort. In 1973, surrounding settlements were named a part of it, forming a popular resort town.
     
    The town, although small, has many attractions for the visitors. The Oficerski Yacht Club Hotel, built in the 1930s, is an army yacht club that has been restored and converted into a resort. It is located on the edge of one of many lakes in the region. Pope John Paul II has a memorial chair from the first and last time he visited the town right outside the club. Boat tours are also popular and the old town square still has its original cobblestone streets.
     

     
    One of the attractions is Sanctuary of Our Lady of Studzieniczańska - a Marian sanctuary in the Diocese of Ełk located in Studzieniczna (administrative part of Augustów)
    According to legend, in pagan times there was a place of worship in Studzieniczna, as evidenced by centuries-old oaks. The beginnings of the cult of the Virgin Mary in the vicinity of Augustów date back to the 17th century. According to the records from 1689, paintings of the Virgin Mary were brought to the town. A visit to the Augustów deanery from 1700 confirms that there was a place famous for miracles in the deanery at that time, but its exact location is not known. A later document - a letter from the prior of the Camaldolese Order from Wigry to the Vilnius curia from 1740 - contains a note that on the island of Studzieniczne Lake, a copy of the painting of Our Lady of Częstochowa was venerated by the local population from at least 1728. At that time, he also stayed on the island by an unknown name hermit. In 1741 the Augustów parish priest obtained a permit to build a chapel, but due to protests of the Camaldolese monks from Wigry, the construction was delayed.
     
    In 1973, Studzieniczna was incorporated into the administrative boundaries of Augustów. In 1978 and 1979, Primate Stefan Wyszyński rested in the village. On September 17, 1995, the painting of Our Lady of Studzieniczań (a copy of the painting of Our Lady of Częstochowa) was crowned (the ceremonies were attended by, among others, Primate Józef Glemp, Apostolic Nuncio Józef Kowalczyk and President Lech Wałęsa). In June 1999, during the penultimate pilgrimage to Poland, Pope John Paul II visited the sanctuary in Studzieniczna. Next to the chapel on the island there is a monument from 2000 commemorating this event.
     

     
    The church in Studzieniczna was entered in the register of monuments in 1966, and the entire church complex (including the chapel, bell tower and the former church cemetery) - in 1980. In the vicinity of the sanctuary, there is also a historic parish cemetery from the 19th century. 
     
    The other attraction is Augustów Canal - a cross-border canal built by the Kingdom of Poland (being in a personal union with the Russian Empire) in the 19th century in the present-day Podlaskie Voivodeship of northeastern Poland and the Grodno Region of north-western Belarus (then the Augustów Voivodeship of the Kingdom of Poland). From the time it was first built, the canal was described by experts as a technological marvel, with numerous sluices contributing to its aesthetic appeal.
     


     
    It was the first summit level canal in Central Europe to provide a direct link between the two major rivers, Vistula River through the Biebrza River – a tributary of the Narew River, and the Neman River through its tributary – the Czarna Hancza River, and it provided a link with the Black Sea to the south through the Oginski Canal, Daugava River, Berezina Canal and Dnieper River. It uses a post-glacial channel depression, forming the chain of Augustów lakes, and the river valleys of the Biebrza, the Netta, the Czarna Hancza and the Neman, which made it possible to perfectly integrate the Canal with the surrounding elements of the natural environment.
     


    The canal was also named one of already well known here Monument of History, as designated 16 May 2007.
  19. Like
    rybak got a reaction from Wumo in Totallympics Annual International Song Contest 2021   
    The last team which will be introduced today is...
     
    Drawno Otters
     

     
    The team consists of four countries
     
     Italy  Kazakhstan  Canada  Great Britain  
    The Eurasian otter (Lutra lutra), also known as the European otter, Eurasian river otter, common otter, and Old World otter, is a semiaquatic mammal native to Eurasia. The most widely distributed member of the otter subfamily (Lutrinae) of the weasel family (Mustelidae), it is found in the waterways and coasts of Europe, many parts of Asia, and parts of northern Africa. The Eurasian otter has a diet mainly of fish, and is strongly territorial. It is endangered in some parts of its range, but is recovering in others.
     
    The Eurasian otter's diet mainly consists of fish. Fish is their most preferred choice of food in Mediterranean and temperate freshwater habitats. During the winter and in colder environments, though, fish consumption is significantly lower, and the otters use other sources of food, including amphibians, crustaceans, insects, birds and sometimes small mammals, including young beavers.
     

     
    After seeing those cute otters it's time to present the base for the team which is a small town Drawno.
     

     
    Drawno is a town in Choszczno County, West Pomeranian Voivodeship. The headquarters of the Drawa National Park (Drawieński Park Narodowy in Polish) are located here.
     
    Traces of settlement in the area of today's Drawno date back to the Stone Age. This is evidenced by numerous archaeological finds, such as a stone hatchet or a standard hatchet. The local population was engaged in agriculture, hunting, beekeeping, tar and hunting. In the 10th – 11th centuries, using the convenient location between two lakes, a Slavic stronghold and a fishing settlement were established here. Until the beginning of the 12th century, the lands of Pomerania belonged to the Pomeranian Duchy, and it was not until 1269 that it came under the rule of Greater Poland.
     
    In the 17th and 18th centuries, the city experienced a boom associated with the development of the glass and textile industries. Craft weaving collapsed, however, as it could not compete effectively with the textile production of factories established in larger centers. The city experienced a revival after 1870 against the background of the dynamic economic development of the united Germany. In 1853, the Choszczno - Mirosławiec road was built here, and in 1895 the town was included in the railway network as a station on the Choszczno - Kalisz Pomorski route. Nevertheless, due to its rather secluded location and forested surroundings, Drawno remained a small urban center of very local importance. 
     

     
    The main attraction near the the town is Drawa National Park (Drawieński Park Narodowy in Polish) is one of 23 National Parks in country, located in north-western Poland, on the border of Greater Poland, Lubusz and Western Pomeranian Voivodeships. The park is a part of the huge Drawsko Forest (Puszcza Drawska), which lies on the vast Drawsko Plain. It takes its name from the River Drawa. It was created in 1990 and initially covered 86.91 km². Later, it was enlarged to 113.42 square kilometres of which forests account for 96.14 km² (3.68 km² is designated as a strictly protected area), and water bodies cover 9.37 km².
     

     
    Over 80 percent of its area is covered with forests – the great and monumental Drawa Forest stretching from the Drawa Lake District to the Noteć River. It is mostly made up of beech and pine trees. There are picturesque and deep valleys of the Drawa and Plociczna rivers as well as numerous water channels, lakes and peat-bogs. In some places the height can vary by 30 meters within 500 meters. The highest hill (106 m) is located near the Martew lake, in northern part of the Park. The soil in the park is of poor quality and it mainly consists of sand.
     

     
    One of main reasons for the creation of the park was the need for to protect valuable areas along the Drawa and Plocziczna rivers. The Drawa creates interesting valleys and hollows and 40 km of the river is within the borders of the park. The river flows at a quite fast pace, which makes it similar to rivers located in mountains. The Drawa kayaking trail is one of the most picturesque in Poland. Lakes include the meromictic lake Czarne
     
    There are several interesting species of flora in Drawski National Park, among them 210 species of mushrooms, and oak trees up to 400 years old. The oldest trees are strictly protected in the Radecin Preserve. Trees older than 81 years old cover 40% of the forested area of the park.
     


     
    There are 129 species of birds (the most beauty eurasian kingfisher), 40 species of mammals, 7 species of reptiles and 13 species of amphibians. The good quality of water in the lakes and rivers enables various species of fish to flourish. Roe deer, red deer and wild boar are very common in the national park. The park also hosts high populations of eurasian otter and beaver. Occasionally moose and gray wolf can be found in the park.
     
     


     
    The area in the past, when it was located on the border between Poland and Western Pomerania (later Prussia), was regarded as unsuitable for human settlement and only since the 17th century have its forests been cleared for settlement.
    The park is crossed by four attractive tourist trails, for both walking and kayaking. There are camping sites and within some distance hotels. The number of visiting tourists has been increasing year on year.
     

  20. Love
    rybak got a reaction from mrv86 in Totallympics Annual International Song Contest 2021   
    The last team which will be introduced today is...
     
    Drawno Otters
     

     
    The team consists of four countries
     
     Italy  Kazakhstan  Canada  Great Britain  
    The Eurasian otter (Lutra lutra), also known as the European otter, Eurasian river otter, common otter, and Old World otter, is a semiaquatic mammal native to Eurasia. The most widely distributed member of the otter subfamily (Lutrinae) of the weasel family (Mustelidae), it is found in the waterways and coasts of Europe, many parts of Asia, and parts of northern Africa. The Eurasian otter has a diet mainly of fish, and is strongly territorial. It is endangered in some parts of its range, but is recovering in others.
     
    The Eurasian otter's diet mainly consists of fish. Fish is their most preferred choice of food in Mediterranean and temperate freshwater habitats. During the winter and in colder environments, though, fish consumption is significantly lower, and the otters use other sources of food, including amphibians, crustaceans, insects, birds and sometimes small mammals, including young beavers.
     

     
    After seeing those cute otters it's time to present the base for the team which is a small town Drawno.
     

     
    Drawno is a town in Choszczno County, West Pomeranian Voivodeship. The headquarters of the Drawa National Park (Drawieński Park Narodowy in Polish) are located here.
     
    Traces of settlement in the area of today's Drawno date back to the Stone Age. This is evidenced by numerous archaeological finds, such as a stone hatchet or a standard hatchet. The local population was engaged in agriculture, hunting, beekeeping, tar and hunting. In the 10th – 11th centuries, using the convenient location between two lakes, a Slavic stronghold and a fishing settlement were established here. Until the beginning of the 12th century, the lands of Pomerania belonged to the Pomeranian Duchy, and it was not until 1269 that it came under the rule of Greater Poland.
     
    In the 17th and 18th centuries, the city experienced a boom associated with the development of the glass and textile industries. Craft weaving collapsed, however, as it could not compete effectively with the textile production of factories established in larger centers. The city experienced a revival after 1870 against the background of the dynamic economic development of the united Germany. In 1853, the Choszczno - Mirosławiec road was built here, and in 1895 the town was included in the railway network as a station on the Choszczno - Kalisz Pomorski route. Nevertheless, due to its rather secluded location and forested surroundings, Drawno remained a small urban center of very local importance. 
     

     
    The main attraction near the the town is Drawa National Park (Drawieński Park Narodowy in Polish) is one of 23 National Parks in country, located in north-western Poland, on the border of Greater Poland, Lubusz and Western Pomeranian Voivodeships. The park is a part of the huge Drawsko Forest (Puszcza Drawska), which lies on the vast Drawsko Plain. It takes its name from the River Drawa. It was created in 1990 and initially covered 86.91 km². Later, it was enlarged to 113.42 square kilometres of which forests account for 96.14 km² (3.68 km² is designated as a strictly protected area), and water bodies cover 9.37 km².
     

     
    Over 80 percent of its area is covered with forests – the great and monumental Drawa Forest stretching from the Drawa Lake District to the Noteć River. It is mostly made up of beech and pine trees. There are picturesque and deep valleys of the Drawa and Plociczna rivers as well as numerous water channels, lakes and peat-bogs. In some places the height can vary by 30 meters within 500 meters. The highest hill (106 m) is located near the Martew lake, in northern part of the Park. The soil in the park is of poor quality and it mainly consists of sand.
     

     
    One of main reasons for the creation of the park was the need for to protect valuable areas along the Drawa and Plocziczna rivers. The Drawa creates interesting valleys and hollows and 40 km of the river is within the borders of the park. The river flows at a quite fast pace, which makes it similar to rivers located in mountains. The Drawa kayaking trail is one of the most picturesque in Poland. Lakes include the meromictic lake Czarne
     
    There are several interesting species of flora in Drawski National Park, among them 210 species of mushrooms, and oak trees up to 400 years old. The oldest trees are strictly protected in the Radecin Preserve. Trees older than 81 years old cover 40% of the forested area of the park.
     


     
    There are 129 species of birds (the most beauty eurasian kingfisher), 40 species of mammals, 7 species of reptiles and 13 species of amphibians. The good quality of water in the lakes and rivers enables various species of fish to flourish. Roe deer, red deer and wild boar are very common in the national park. The park also hosts high populations of eurasian otter and beaver. Occasionally moose and gray wolf can be found in the park.
     
     


     
    The area in the past, when it was located on the border between Poland and Western Pomerania (later Prussia), was regarded as unsuitable for human settlement and only since the 17th century have its forests been cleared for settlement.
    The park is crossed by four attractive tourist trails, for both walking and kayaking. There are camping sites and within some distance hotels. The number of visiting tourists has been increasing year on year.
     

  21. Like
    rybak got a reaction from Bohemia in Totallympics Annual International Song Contest 2021   
    Next team which will be introduce is...
     
    Podlasie Bisons
     

     
    The team consists of four countries
     
     United States  Poland  Netherlands  France  
    The European bison (Bison bonasus) (Żubr in Polish) is a European species of bison. It is one of two extant species of bison, alongside the American bison. The European bison is the heaviest wild land animal in Europe and individuals in the past may have been even larger than modern animals. During late antiquity and the Middle Ages, bison became extinct in much of Europe and Asia, surviving into the 20th century only in northern-central Europe and the northern Caucasus Mountains. During the early years of the 20th century bison were hunted to extinction in the wild. The species — now numbering several thousand and returned to the wild by captive breeding programmes — is no longer in immediate danger of extinction, but remains absent from most of its historical range. It is not to be confused with the aurochs (Bos primigenius), the extinct ancestor of domestic cattle, with which it once co-existed.
     

     
    It's one of the national animals of Poland and Belarus. Due to this and the fact that half of the worldwide European bison population can be found spread across these two countries, the wisent is still featured prominently in the heraldry of these neighbouring states (especially in the overlapping region of Eastern Poland and Western Belarus). Examples in Poland include the coats of arms of: the counties of Hajnówka and Zambrów, the towns Sokółka and Żywiec, the villages Białowieża and Narewka, as well as the coats of arms of the Pomian and Wieniawa families.
     
    A flavoured vodka called Żubrówka  originating as a recipe of the szlachta of the Kingdom of Poland in the 14th century, has since 1928 been industrially produced as a brand in Poland. In the decades that followed, it became known as the "world's best known Polish vodka" and sparked the creation of a number of copy brands inspired by the original in Belarus, Russia, Germany, as well as other brands in Poland. The original Polish brand is known for placing a decorative blade of bison grass from the Białowieża Forest in each bottle of their product; both the plant's name in Polish and the vodka are named after żubr, the Polish name for the European bison.
     
    After drinking some Żubrówka's vodka it's time to present the base of Podlasie Bisons which is a city Augustów.
     
     
     
    Augustów is a city in north-eastern Poland. It lies on the Netta River and the Augustów Canal. It is situated in the Podlaskie Voivodeship (since 1999). It is the seat of Augustów County and of Gmina Augustów. In 1970, Augustów became officially recognized as a health and relaxation resort. In 1973, surrounding settlements were named a part of it, forming a popular resort town.
     
    The town, although small, has many attractions for the visitors. The Oficerski Yacht Club Hotel, built in the 1930s, is an army yacht club that has been restored and converted into a resort. It is located on the edge of one of many lakes in the region. Pope John Paul II has a memorial chair from the first and last time he visited the town right outside the club. Boat tours are also popular and the old town square still has its original cobblestone streets.
     

     
    One of the attractions is Sanctuary of Our Lady of Studzieniczańska - a Marian sanctuary in the Diocese of Ełk located in Studzieniczna (administrative part of Augustów)
    According to legend, in pagan times there was a place of worship in Studzieniczna, as evidenced by centuries-old oaks. The beginnings of the cult of the Virgin Mary in the vicinity of Augustów date back to the 17th century. According to the records from 1689, paintings of the Virgin Mary were brought to the town. A visit to the Augustów deanery from 1700 confirms that there was a place famous for miracles in the deanery at that time, but its exact location is not known. A later document - a letter from the prior of the Camaldolese Order from Wigry to the Vilnius curia from 1740 - contains a note that on the island of Studzieniczne Lake, a copy of the painting of Our Lady of Częstochowa was venerated by the local population from at least 1728. At that time, he also stayed on the island by an unknown name hermit. In 1741 the Augustów parish priest obtained a permit to build a chapel, but due to protests of the Camaldolese monks from Wigry, the construction was delayed.
     
    In 1973, Studzieniczna was incorporated into the administrative boundaries of Augustów. In 1978 and 1979, Primate Stefan Wyszyński rested in the village. On September 17, 1995, the painting of Our Lady of Studzieniczań (a copy of the painting of Our Lady of Częstochowa) was crowned (the ceremonies were attended by, among others, Primate Józef Glemp, Apostolic Nuncio Józef Kowalczyk and President Lech Wałęsa). In June 1999, during the penultimate pilgrimage to Poland, Pope John Paul II visited the sanctuary in Studzieniczna. Next to the chapel on the island there is a monument from 2000 commemorating this event.
     

     
    The church in Studzieniczna was entered in the register of monuments in 1966, and the entire church complex (including the chapel, bell tower and the former church cemetery) - in 1980. In the vicinity of the sanctuary, there is also a historic parish cemetery from the 19th century. 
     
    The other attraction is Augustów Canal - a cross-border canal built by the Kingdom of Poland (being in a personal union with the Russian Empire) in the 19th century in the present-day Podlaskie Voivodeship of northeastern Poland and the Grodno Region of north-western Belarus (then the Augustów Voivodeship of the Kingdom of Poland). From the time it was first built, the canal was described by experts as a technological marvel, with numerous sluices contributing to its aesthetic appeal.
     


     
    It was the first summit level canal in Central Europe to provide a direct link between the two major rivers, Vistula River through the Biebrza River – a tributary of the Narew River, and the Neman River through its tributary – the Czarna Hancza River, and it provided a link with the Black Sea to the south through the Oginski Canal, Daugava River, Berezina Canal and Dnieper River. It uses a post-glacial channel depression, forming the chain of Augustów lakes, and the river valleys of the Biebrza, the Netta, the Czarna Hancza and the Neman, which made it possible to perfectly integrate the Canal with the surrounding elements of the natural environment.
     


    The canal was also named one of already well known here Monument of History, as designated 16 May 2007.
  22. Love
    rybak got a reaction from mrv86 in Totallympics Annual International Song Contest 2021   
    Today we will introduce few teams, at the beginning, staying on the Baltic sea, the first team is...
     
    Hel Grey Seals
     

     
    The team consists of four countries
     
     Romania  China  Malta  Norway  
    The grey seal (Halichoerus grypus) is found on both shores of the North Atlantic Ocean. It is a large seal of the family Phocidae, which are commonly referred to as "true seals" or "earless seals". There are two types of grey seals, one of them, which lives on Baltic sea is "Halichoerus grypus grypus" (lol). 
     
    The grey seal feeds on a wide variety of fish, mostly benthic or demersal species, taken at depths down to 70 m or more. Sand eels (Ammodytes spp) are important in its diet in many localities. Cod (I'm sorry Croatia, Lithuania, Moldova and Slovenia ) and other gadids, flatfish, herring, wrasse and skates are also important locally. However, it is clear that the grey seal will eat whatever is available, including octopus and lobsters. The average daily food requirement is estimated to be 5 kg, though the seal does not feed every day and it fasts during the breeding season.
     
    So, since we already know few things about that animal it's time to present another base, the town Hel.
     

     
    Hel is a town surrounded by forest in Puck County, Pomeranian Voivodeship, located on the tip of the Hel Peninsula, around 33 kilometres from the coast at the "beginning" of Poland. 
     
    After the war the village yet again became a naval base. In 1960 a road linking Hel with Jastarnia on the mainland was built. Three years later city rights were reintroduced. Since then the tourist industry started to recover and several hotels, guest houses and pensions were built. In 1996 the Polish Navy sold all remaining parts of the peninsula to the civilian authorities and only a small naval base is there today.
     
    The harbour now serves primarily as a yacht marina, though there are some fishing boats and ferries to Gdańsk, Sopot and Gdynia in the summer.
     

     
    Hel houses a sea life biological laboratory and there are interesting examples of naval armament and equipment exhibited throughout the town. There is popular beach along the shore between the inner and outer harbour walls, with a seal sanctuary (the Fokarium) just behind it. There is a Fishing Museum, Hel that forms part of the National Maritime Museum, Gdańsk in an old church on the sea front.
     
    Seal Sanctuary (Fokarium in Polish) of the Sea Station of the Institute of Oceanography of the University of Gdańsk is a seal sanctuary that is part of a scientific and research facility - the Sea Station of the Institute of Oceanography of the University of Gdańsk, located in Hel on the Seaside Boulevard.
     


     
    The sealarium consists of a complex of three breeding pools, several small swimming pools (for young and sick individuals requiring rehabilitation) and a didactic and laboratory building with a seminar room and laboratories. The facility conducts research activities aimed at recreating the gray seal colony in the southern Baltic Sea.
     
    It is a great tourist attraction of Hel - at the turn of the 20th/21st century it was visited by approx. 300 thousand people. tourists each year.
    The sealarium is supported by voluntary contributions, EU subsidies, contributions from the University of Gdańsk, selling tickets and a gift shop 
     

     
    The Harbor porpoise located in Hel is a museum dedicated to the Baltic porpoises opened on September 5, 2015.
     


     
    The museum presents showcases and boards containing information about the biology, use of porpoises, their relationship with humans, as well as contemporary problems affecting these animals. Visitors can watch films and animations devoted not only to porpoises, but also other cetaceans that have visited the Polish part of the Baltic Sea in recent decades. These videos show the white-nosed dolphin, fin whale, humpback whales and common dolphins. 
     
    The most easterly edge of Hel, which was once a military territory, can now be accessed by the general public making it possible to walk all the way around the peninsula.
  23. Like
    rybak got a reaction from MHSN in Weightlifting EWF European Championships 2021   
    Thank you for great news  
     
    Yes, the Armenian guy wasn't too focused on lifting 227kg when he knew that is winner already and happened what happened 
  24. Love
    rybak got a reaction from dcro in Totallympics Annual International Song Contest 2021   
    The first team, which will be introduced to their base before next week Grand Final, which will take place in Kraków is...
     
    Baltic Cods
     

     
    The team consists of four countries
     
     Moldova  Lithuania  Croatia  Slovenia  
    There are at least two populations of cod in the Baltic Sea: One large population that spawns east of Bornholm and one population spawning west of Bornholm. Eastern Baltic cod is genetically distinct and adapted to the brackish environment. Adaptations include differences in hemoglobin type, osmoregulatory capacity, egg buoyancy, sperm swimming characteristics and spawning season. The adaptive responses to the environmental conditions in the Baltic Sea may contribute to an effective reproductive barrier, and thus, eastern Baltic cod can be viewed as an example of ongoing speciation.
     
    The western Baltic cod consists of one or several small subpopulations that are genetically more similar to the North Sea cod. In the Arkona basin (located off Cape Arkona, Rügen), spawning and migrating cod from both the eastern and western stocks intermingle in proportions that vary seasonally. The immigration of eastern cod into the western Baltic management unit may mask a poor state of the populations in the western management unit.
     
    Without further ado (because I believe that most of us know what cod is ) let's go to presented the town where "Baltic cods" will prepare to Grand Final. Selected town is Władysławowo.
     

     
    Władysławowo is a town located on the south coast of the Baltic Sea in Kashubia in the Eastern Pomerania region in northern part of country. This city is also commonly called "Summer Capital of Poland" since in every summer thousands of tourists arrive there for their vacations.
     

     
    The town have an extensive tourist infrastructure. One of the tourist attractions is the location by the open sea and the Puck Bay, as well as in the vicinity of the Coastal Landscape Park. The city has a seaport located on the open sea, part of which is the western breakwater which also functions as a tourist pier. Five seaside bathing areas have been organized here.
     
    In Władysławowo we can found the promenade named "Sport Stars Alley" with pavement stars with the names and surnames of famous Polish and three foreign sportsmen. Here you can check which athletes have their stars there...
     



     
    In Władysławowo there is the Olympic Preparation Center "Cetniewo". The resort has clay tennis courts and a court in the hall, a football fields, a swimming pool, it has a sports equipment rental. The center is well liked by Polish athletes, annualy in summer on the center is organized an athletics meeting, the center also saw Weightlifting European Championships in 2006.  
     



     
    On May 30, 2012, the only "Ocean Park" in Poland was opened on Żwirowa Street in Władysławowo. The greatest attraction of Ocean Park is the reproduction of the 34-meter blue whale. There you can also see dozens of other marine and ocean mammals and fish, such as: sperm whale, whale shark, great white shark, giant squid and so on. All exhibits are life-size. 
     
    One of the attractions is Dom Rybaka (Fisherman's House) - public building, built in the 1950s, originally erected for hotel purposes. Currently, it is the seat of the Władysławowo City Hall and other institutions. It is the architectural dominant of the city. Part of the building is an observation tower, which allows you to observe a fragment of the Gdańsk Coast.
     

     
    In connection with the plans to build a large fishing port and a fish processing center in Władysławowo in the 1950s, on the initiative of the Minister of Shipping Mieczysław Popiel, the construction of a large hotel for fishermen and sailors was started on the coastal slope. The process of erecting the building took place in the years 1953-1956, and it was put into use in June 1957. It had 150 hotel beds. Due to the person who initiated the construction, the building was originally called "Popielówka", and the tower dominating the building (ironically referring to the famous building in Kruszwica) was called "Popiel's Tower.
     
    It consists of a 4-story main body and a high, 8-story tower; both parts of the building are connected by an arcaded connector. There are two observation decks in the tower: one at 45m above sea level, the other at 63m above sea level.
     
    The tower houses a private Butterfly Museum with over 3,000 exhibits 
     
    To finish presentation of the team and city I recommend you also to watching this video.
     

  25. Love
    rybak got a reaction from mrv86 in Totallympics Annual International Song Contest 2021   
    The first team, which will be introduced to their base before next week Grand Final, which will take place in Kraków is...
     
    Baltic Cods
     

     
    The team consists of four countries
     
     Moldova  Lithuania  Croatia  Slovenia  
    There are at least two populations of cod in the Baltic Sea: One large population that spawns east of Bornholm and one population spawning west of Bornholm. Eastern Baltic cod is genetically distinct and adapted to the brackish environment. Adaptations include differences in hemoglobin type, osmoregulatory capacity, egg buoyancy, sperm swimming characteristics and spawning season. The adaptive responses to the environmental conditions in the Baltic Sea may contribute to an effective reproductive barrier, and thus, eastern Baltic cod can be viewed as an example of ongoing speciation.
     
    The western Baltic cod consists of one or several small subpopulations that are genetically more similar to the North Sea cod. In the Arkona basin (located off Cape Arkona, Rügen), spawning and migrating cod from both the eastern and western stocks intermingle in proportions that vary seasonally. The immigration of eastern cod into the western Baltic management unit may mask a poor state of the populations in the western management unit.
     
    Without further ado (because I believe that most of us know what cod is ) let's go to presented the town where "Baltic cods" will prepare to Grand Final. Selected town is Władysławowo.
     

     
    Władysławowo is a town located on the south coast of the Baltic Sea in Kashubia in the Eastern Pomerania region in northern part of country. This city is also commonly called "Summer Capital of Poland" since in every summer thousands of tourists arrive there for their vacations.
     

     
    The town have an extensive tourist infrastructure. One of the tourist attractions is the location by the open sea and the Puck Bay, as well as in the vicinity of the Coastal Landscape Park. The city has a seaport located on the open sea, part of which is the western breakwater which also functions as a tourist pier. Five seaside bathing areas have been organized here.
     
    In Władysławowo we can found the promenade named "Sport Stars Alley" with pavement stars with the names and surnames of famous Polish and three foreign sportsmen. Here you can check which athletes have their stars there...
     



     
    In Władysławowo there is the Olympic Preparation Center "Cetniewo". The resort has clay tennis courts and a court in the hall, a football fields, a swimming pool, it has a sports equipment rental. The center is well liked by Polish athletes, annualy in summer on the center is organized an athletics meeting, the center also saw Weightlifting European Championships in 2006.  
     



     
    On May 30, 2012, the only "Ocean Park" in Poland was opened on Żwirowa Street in Władysławowo. The greatest attraction of Ocean Park is the reproduction of the 34-meter blue whale. There you can also see dozens of other marine and ocean mammals and fish, such as: sperm whale, whale shark, great white shark, giant squid and so on. All exhibits are life-size. 
     
    One of the attractions is Dom Rybaka (Fisherman's House) - public building, built in the 1950s, originally erected for hotel purposes. Currently, it is the seat of the Władysławowo City Hall and other institutions. It is the architectural dominant of the city. Part of the building is an observation tower, which allows you to observe a fragment of the Gdańsk Coast.
     

     
    In connection with the plans to build a large fishing port and a fish processing center in Władysławowo in the 1950s, on the initiative of the Minister of Shipping Mieczysław Popiel, the construction of a large hotel for fishermen and sailors was started on the coastal slope. The process of erecting the building took place in the years 1953-1956, and it was put into use in June 1957. It had 150 hotel beds. Due to the person who initiated the construction, the building was originally called "Popielówka", and the tower dominating the building (ironically referring to the famous building in Kruszwica) was called "Popiel's Tower.
     
    It consists of a 4-story main body and a high, 8-story tower; both parts of the building are connected by an arcaded connector. There are two observation decks in the tower: one at 45m above sea level, the other at 63m above sea level.
     
    The tower houses a private Butterfly Museum with over 3,000 exhibits 
     
    To finish presentation of the team and city I recommend you also to watching this video.
     

×
×
  • Create New...