website statistics

Things you are waiting for the most in the 2023 Olympic Sports Season

rafalgorka

1 hour ago, vinipereira said:

Pan American Games :cheer:

I have good memories of Pan Ams in Toronto in 2015. I won tickets in a sponsor giveaway to see the equestrian eventing final- I had to look up what eventing was but we had a great time there.

Looking forward to world swimming, track, and beach volleyball championships as well as basketball World Cup and all Paris qualifiers.

-The tennis season in general. It's great to have two top players from your country, and also we have several young Greek women moving up the rankings so hopefully they continue to do so. And of course to watch players from other countries as well.

-FIBA World Cup and Eurobasket Women. I hope our national teams do well.

-Euro 2024 qualifying. Greece is in a tough group with France and the Netherlands, but I am curious to see how we will do and also we are guaranteed a spot in the play-offs via Nations League so there is less pressure.

-Athletics outdoor season. Mainly the World Championships but also last year we had the National Championships in Thessaloniki and it was a very nice experience, I hope to be able to go in 2023 as well.

-World Championships again for water polo.

-Rowing season. From May to September there are a lot of regattas and it is always nice to see Greece win a lot of medals, I think this year we won 12 gold medals as well as other silver and bronze.

-Hopefully many Olympic quotas for Greece in various different sports.

It will be fun to have the Olympic qualifiers in full swing next year. Also, another packed year for multi-sports games, with many of my personal favorites on offer (Pan American Games, European Games, Asian Games, Winter Universaide, Pacific Games, Jeux Francophonie, World Beach Games, CAC Games, etc.)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Personally i am more excited to see the development of certain young athletes than to watch certain big competitions. I am looking forward to see how athletes like Muriel Mohr (freestyle skiing slopestyle/big air), Selina Freitag (ski jumping), Emma Aicher (alpine skiing), Luis Vogt (alpine skiing), Selina Grotian (biathlon), Friedrich Moch (cross-country skiing), Joland Kallabis (athletics), Annett Kaufmann (table tennis) or Julia Stusek* (tennis) will develop.

* Youngest player in the top 1000 (ranked 841) of the women's world ranking (she was born in 2008), just won the german U18 championships (winning 6:2 6:2 in the final) and reached the semifinal of the german senior championships (where she lost in 3 sets against Ella Seidel, who is ranked 383 currently). She is trained by Melanie Molitor (mother and former coach of Martina Hingis) in Switzerland.

Edit: Apparently there also is an other 14 year old girl (Sonja Zhenikhova) who even made the final at the german senior championships this year.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

I am most looking forward to the world speedskating championships in Heerenveen. I have tickets for the third day and hope to see skating sensation Jutta Leerdam live.

A month earlier the first phase of the ticket sales for Paris '24 starts. I wonder if I get the chance to buy some nice tickets.

Finally, I'm curious about the development of Dutch talents Tes Schouten (swimming), Joanne van Lieshout (judo), Niels Laros (athletics) and Roos Daleman (handball). 

I haven't seen many people mention cycling yet. I'm really looking forward to all the monuments, classics and grand tours. With Evenepoel, Pogacar, Vingegaard, Van Aert and Van der Poel there's such an exciting generation of riders.

On the womens side I hope the young generation of Dutch riders, Van Anrooij, Van Empel and Pieterse, can take some wins in the senior field.

Other than that the athletics world championships are the biggest highlight of the year in sports for me.

Biathlon will be resuming shortly so don't really count that as a big wait.Discus,men's discus specifically,feel like it will be an incredibly interesting season there,will be interested to see if someone new joins the leading guys[altough not expecting anyone to do what Mykolas did this year]Yeah just excited for the whole discus year with the world athletic championships being the big conclusion of the season,tough i will try to pay more attention to diamond leagues for that than i did this year.Beyond that now that the one lithuanian i still care about in pentathlon is coming back,i will be paying more attention to the upcoming season of that,[sadly world cups are behind paywalls,because the heads of that are idiots,sos i'll follow through the website]