website statistics

Totallympics Annual International Song Contest 2020

21 minut temu, OlympicIRL napisał:

I wonder what memorable TISC moments we will make tomorrow. What are some of your fondest, clearest, most fun memories of past contests?

Some things that immediately come to my mind....

• The tangerine discussion :d
  • The time when G.B. awarded gold, silver and bronze to the only 3 nations without a medal
  • The thousand times that x nation cried about their lack of points before scoring a heap of points in the next vote, a famous TISC tactic :d
  • Those one-by-one votes to decide the winner that we saw only on 3 occasions so far in TISC history
  • Our usual discussions about food in between the voting sessions

• New Zealand and Lithuania giving high point to each other
  • Penguins spoiling the voting
  • Mentioned before "Spain 12"

:d

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Every single time it comes from frustrated people who've sent non-English songs and aren't satisfied with their points total, even if the song is just considered not great in general. There are indeed non-English songs that actually are good and do get quite a lot of points.

Ehm... I compiled detailed analysis on this. It clearly shows that English songs on average tend to collect about 50% (!) more points than the non-English songs. :evil:

Average points-per-jury (2013 Open - 2019 Open)

English songs - 2.77

non-English songs - 1.80

50% is just too much. Even statistical tests strongly suggest that this is not some random outcome, but rather a clear sign that English songs get better results. ;)

And before you say "There are many more non-English songs". That's not really the case. About 40% of all-time songs are in English. :p

But if we narrow that pool...

Percentage of English songs in the Top 10 - 68%

#banbestmen

4 minutes ago, dcro said:

Ehm... I compiled detailed analysis on this. It clearly shows that English songs on average tend to collect about 50% (!) more points than the non-English songs. :evil:

Average points-per-jury (2013 Open - 2019 Open)

English songs - 2.77

non-English songs - 1.80

50% is just too much. Even statistical tests strongly suggest that this is not some random outcome, but rather a clear sign that English songs get better results. ;)

And before you say "There are many more non-English songs". That's not really the case. About 40% of all-time songs are in English. :p

But if we narrow that pool...

Percentage of English songs in the Top 10 - 68%

Maybe the entered English songs are simply better, on average :evil: 

They sure are better than (most) Dutch songs I can think of.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Maybe the entered English songs are simply better, on average :evil: 

They sure are better than (most) Dutch songs I can think of.

Maybe. And there is also the fact that English-speaking nations tend to have more famous artists/songs.

But anyway, my conclusion kind of was that while you are not guaranteed to get a personal best with an English song, you can probably expect better average placements if you enter them in a longer run...

#banbestmen

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Every single time it comes from frustrated people who've sent non-English songs and aren't satisfied with their points total, even if the song is just considered not great in general. There are indeed non-English songs that actually are good and do get quite a lot of points.

That doesn’t change the fact that many of the winners are English language songs, and most of the top 10 all-time are also in English.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Everyone expecting another 12 to Romania from Moldova 

No, Spain 12.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela