website statistics

Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?

Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?

• Yes, the Olympic Games will be cancelled
    • No, the Olympic Games will be held

27 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

OMG can we stop with the planted propaganda polls every damn week! God, how i wish it was august already, so everything can be over and i won't have to bother with the insanely moronic Olympic qualifications, preaching internet nutjobs and the country of Japan acting like a child going through puberty..

Stop with this nonsense already. It's a worldwide pandemic and it's not even just the country of Japan, it's the entire world. We don't see polling outside of Japan, but I am sure that most people in the world want the Games to be cancelled. Outside of this forum I haven't seen or talked to a single person who wants the Games to happen this year. At the very least EURO2020 have many passionate fans because people feel far more emotionally attached to football than to the Games. IOC and Totallympics are pretty much alone in this. I think Tokyo2020 will likely happen, but the worst the COVID situation gets, the brand of the Summer Games will get damaged more and more, to the point where it can have negative effects on future Olympic Games. 

18 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Stop with this nonsense already. It's a worldwide pandemic and it's not even just the country of Japan, it's the entire world. We don't see polling outside of Japan, but I am sure that most people in the world want the Games to be cancelled. Outside of this forum I haven't seen or talked to a single person who wants the Games to happen this year. At the very least EURO2020 have many passionate fans because people feel far more emotionally attached to football than to the Games. IOC and Totallympics are pretty much alone in this. I think Tokyo2020 will likely happen, but the worst the COVID situation gets, the brand of the Summer Games will get damaged more and more, to the point where it can have negative effects on future Olympic Games. 

Most probably want them postponed to 2022 rather than cancelled. 

Fundamentally Japan is a democracy so it’s Government has to follow what the people want or it could find itself out of office in the autumn. 

19 minutes ago, Vektor said:

I wont stop, because, if they used half the effort from looking for excuses into actually doing effective vaccination/ preparation / coordination we wouldn't be in this situation. And this is the nation that was said for decades has biggest work ethic and discipline in the world.. If it was almost any other nation, i could understand the situation. But from the top 5 richest, perfectly organized Japan, it's not acceptable.. 

And of course no one cares about the Olympics, just before 4 billion people watch every single day. Happens every time. Internet filled moralists aren't the world, no matter how much they scream and cancel in 2021.

Can we stop with the narrative that the Olympics are going to be a super-spreader event and that it's a threat to the rest of the world if they're held?  That's ignorant garbage.  All of these athletes are going to be monitored and tested regularly, so the odds of them bringing COVID to Japan or taking it home to their own country is minimal.  The much bigger issue is what it's doing to medial resources in Japan, but that's a different story altogether.

Speaking as an American where we did a piss poor job handling the pandemic early on, all of our sports leagues are running now with few if any major problems related to COVID.  This was after many people were saying to shut it all down because it's not safe to play sports during a pandemic.  That seems pretty ridiculous now.

NPB is playing through their season with fans in attendance, so obviously "we can't play sports" is not the issue.  I can't speak to what's happening in Japan and why they're struggling so much while many other countries seem to have better control over the pandemic.  Most countries experienced the fall wave that most experts said was going to hit, but many of those countries are seeing reduced COVID cases and not necessarily just the ones where vaccines are availalbe.

We all get this is being done for TV money at this point, as is much of the sports world.  Again though, we all thought Japan was the right place to be able to handle COVID and at the same time be a relatively safe location to hold the Olympics.  Why is it they are no longer capable of doing both when 3 months ago that looked to be the case?

7 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

All of these athletes are going to be monitored and tested regularly, so the odds of them bringing COVID to Japan or taking it home to their own country is minimal.   

I think the much more important point in this regard is that Biontech wants do donate vaccine to the IOC to vaccinate all athletes.

This really is my smallest worry and I'm very optimistic the athletes will be safe. What concerns me more is the general situation in Japan regarding vaccination.

42 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

I wont stop, because, if they used half the effort from looking for excuses into actually doing effective vaccination/ preparation / coordination we wouldn't be in this situation. And this is the nation that was said for decades has biggest work ethic and discipline in the world.. If it was almost any other nation, i could understand the situation. But from the top 5 richest, perfectly organized Japan, it's not acceptable.. 

And of course no one cares about the Olympics, just before 4 billion people watch every single day. Happens every time. Internet filled moralists aren't the world, no matter how much they scream and cancel in 2021.

Just because a lot of people watch it when it's on air, it doesn't mean that they actually deeply care about it, to the point where they support it in the middle of a pandemic. My impression has always been that most people only tune in because it only happens every 4 years and because "it's tradition", but they can live without it, which is a big difference compared to big sport leagues like F1, Champions League, ATP/WTA tour, etc. Those are the kind of sport events people are attached to and "can't live without". I mean, for example, we don't have spectators for the Aquatics ECh, but we will have a full stadium for EURO2020, guess why. Even here where we a long tradition of supporting Olympic sports, the preferences of both the government and the citizens are clear. 

And apart from a very few exceptions, every country has fucked up the COVID crisis one way or another, so pretending like Japan should be above it is just silly, especially knowing that they have a high population density, which makes the situation really hard for them. 

Kei Nishikori has also spoken out about the games.

‘Japanese tennis player Kei Nishikori has doubts about whether the IOC and local organisers are doing enough to plan for a worst-case scenario of "hundreds" or "thousands" of coronavirus cases at the Tokyo Olympics.

Or whether it's even still feasible to hold the Games when a state of emergency has been extended in Tokyo and other parts of Japan because of the pandemic.

"I don't know what they are thinking, and I don't know how much they are thinking about how they are going to make a bubble, because this is not 100 people like these tournaments," Nishikori said after winning his first-round match at the Italian Open.

"It's 10,000 people in the village. So I don't think it's easy, especially what's happening right now in Japan. It's not doing good. Well, not even (just) Japan. You have to think all over the world right now."  ‘
https://wwos.nine.com.au/tennis/tokyo-olympics-2021-kei-nishikori-casts-doubts-on-games-amid-covid19/ae5cd83e-bbdd-481d-8860-2f8ad0d1ccfb

3 hours ago, Orangehair43 said:

"It's 10,000 people in the village. So I don't think it's easy, especially what's happening right now in Japan.

This has been bugging me for a while. I don't understand why the number of athletes has not been reduced in any significant way. In my opinion, it would be very important to guarantee that the athletes who will attend the games will be monitored 100% of the time. Can they monitor ten thousand people? I'm not so sure. Some athletes will find a way to get out no matter what. Just remember what Lochte did in Rio. Some, if not most, will find a way to have sex. Ten thousand people is A LOT to deal with. Why not make compromises?

2 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

This has been bugging me for a while. I don't understand why the number of athletes has not been reduced in any significant way. In my opinion, it would be very important to guarantee that the athletes who will attend the games will be monitored 100% of the time. Can they monitor ten thousand people? I'm not so sure. Some athletes will find a way to get out no matter what. Just remember what Lochte did in Rio. Some, if not most, will find a way to have sex. Ten thousand people is A LOT to deal with. Why not make compromises?

Well they are limiting how long you can be at the village for, so its not likely to hit close to 10k at a time.