website statistics

Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?

Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?

• Yes, the Olympic Games will be cancelled
    • No, the Olympic Games will be held

5 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Yeah, at this rate Japan will lose its grip on COVID at the worst possible time. They need to figure something out quick because this can get ugly, public opinion on the Games has never been this terrible, both in Japan and internationally. 

Actually public opinion is changing from 80% it's 60% who want delay. But cases really need to stay down for at least next 40-50 days after which it won't be possible to delay as teams would start coming

10 minutes ago, Jan Linha said:

Let's start a bit crazier discussion ??. What would you guys say about venue change for the 2021 Summer Olympics. If so, where it may happen? ??

excluding Beijing and Sydney because of the strict covid rules of CHN and AUS, the only other city in the world ready "on the go" to host the Games is London...

but of course it would still take some time to set up such kind of event, so I think it's impossible to move the Olympics in 2021...just force Japan to take their responsibility: they have to host the Olympic Games as promised in the scheduled days and if they don't do it, just throw them off the Olympic movement forever...:pope: :bones:

p.s. and of course, to me Japan should already be declared undesired host for any sport event in the future (especially no more Olympic candidature might be even take into consideration from them)...

19 minutes ago, Jan Linha said:

Well, I just wanted to bring a bit funny topic instead of sharing how much are Japanese against the Games......  ???

More than japan being against the games it will be terrible if we don't get a games for 8 years. 

Ok now Naomi Osaka fuels the fire.  

They shouldn't be punished if the worst happens, it's not their fault that we are still in the middle of a worldwide pandemic. And I can tell you that in almost all the countries a lot of people would be protesting against the Games. The only reason there aren't any protest against the Aquatics ECh here because people at this point have given up, they know that Orbán doesn't care about them, but I am sure the vast majority of Budapest wanted the event to be cancelled. I think we need to realize that if Tokyo2020 happens, it's going to be biggest achievement in the history of modern sport, we are asking a lot from Japan. And democratic countries like Japan doesn't have the luxury to just ignore public opinion like everything is fine. 

But I think they still got enough time to turn things around. Hopefully they will.

IOC must be really concerned, Bach wanted the Games to be secure by May, and now he delayed his visit to June, they must know by now that this can go down to wire thanks to the current wave of COVID. 

6 minutes ago, LDOG said:

There is no complex plan to think, they just have to start vaccinating properly. Inexcusable for a rich country to be this slow in that.

They are still claiming to set up vaccination centres.

Now hope is either people follow the rules and cases decrease OR countries like Israel,New Zealand should send its nurses to Tokyo. That would greatly be enough for the testing of athletes .

28 minutes ago, Jan Linha said:

Well, I just wanted to bring a bit funny topic instead of sharing how much are Japanese against the Games......  ???

Interesting to remember that in 2017 92% of Japanese supported the Games. Might be the highest percentage ever.