website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2026 Bid Process

6 minutes ago, Agger said:

As half Swedish, I have no words for how much I would have loved to go to Stockholm and Åre for the Winter Games.

But Italy was the safer choice and considering the last couple of winter Games and the upcoming ones, the safe choice might very well be the right one.

I will keep dreaming of seing the Olympics in Sweden or at least in a Nordic country in my lifetime (Can't really say that I remember Lillehammer (I was 2½ years)). I doubt 2030 will be right, but maybe 2034?

No the Mormons are hosting the 2030 Olympics :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

What about Summer Olympics in Denmark? Nobody has such an idea so far?

Because they know thier economic limits. It would be interesting to see a bid though.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

What about Summer Olympics in Denmark? Nobody has such an idea so far?

Yeah. It's mentioned from time to time. Back in 2006 the proces was actually started with an analyzis, but it was killed off again. Later a candidate for mayor of Copenhagen talked about it and the current mayor talked about hosting one or a few sports in case of Hamburg hosting the games (when they were in the game). Some politician even talked about hosting some of the indoor sports in a Swedish Winter-bid :lol:

But it's very unlikely that we'll be ready to spend the money. A tiny chance would be Copenhagen and Malmö hosting together. The IOC mentions it more or less everytime we host some major event.

But it seems unlikely, no matter what (and honestly, I would be against it as well, unless some major company (or more) would be ready to spend huge amounts on it)

Just now, thiago_simoes said:

Boring. Only 20 years after Turin. Anyway, I don't care about Winter Olympics anyway, and this is not going to change my mind either, so...

I'll take Italy twice in 20 years over frickin' Beijing! I mean that will be all artificial snow down there, right? Sadly Olympics have been all about money and countries which can't afford hosting the show. It's amost a miracle Doha hasn't been chosen as host for the Summer Games but that's maybe down to women taking part. Can you imagine beach volleyball in Qatar? That would be awkward!

Disappointing result. I was hoping for Stockholm, as 2 Olympic games in 20 years for a non-Winter Olympic powerhouse nation like Italy seems unfair. However, the logistics and wary public/government support for the Stockholm bid is what put them at a disadvantage at the end. I'm sure that Milan-Cortina will put on a great Olympic games, but it remains to be seen whether the legacy and sustainability of the Games will be any better than the disastrous legacy left behind by the Turin Games.