website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2026 Bid Process

32 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Milan Cortina admitted at the end of the press conference that the cost had gone up a little bit on their initial estimates for the sliding centre.

The figure provided was €50 million

They should honestly just ask to use St.Moritz. It’s not to far, it’s cheap, and all international sliders know and love the track.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

They should honestly just ask to use St.Moritz. It’s not to far, it’s cheap, and all international sliders know and love the track.

But in Italy we don’t have a sliding track and it will be needed for sport development, so it makes sense to me not renouncing to it

2 minutes ago, AlFHg said:

But in Italy we don’t have a sliding track and it will be needed for sport development, so it makes sense to me not renouncing to it

One wonders if the track survives a bit longer this time..I'd be surprised if the Cortina track is still used regularly in, say, 2030.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

One wonders if the track survives a bit longer this time..I'd be surprised if the Cortina track is still used regularly in, say, 2030.

This is another story:facepalm:but still, in theory, makes sense, at least to me

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I hope so...

Cortina has a long tradition as an international sliding track e basically they still have the track there...the problem is that it can't be used with the ice surface (part of it, it's open to tourists in summer...you can skate or go down with a street luge/bob...the top part instead is almost abandoned) and currently it doesn't meet the safety requirements to be used for competitions...

but if finally someone put the money on the renewal it needs, then I think it will survive for quite a while...the project of our NOC is quite clear about that...it must be operative also in the years following the games, not only until 2026 and stop...

Edited by phelps