website statistics

Athletics Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

40 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Before Britain funded its athletes with a national lottery - 20 years, 23 gold medals.

After Britain funded its athletes with a national lottery - 20 years, 89 gold medals

It seems to work...

Totally offtopic, but it's a shame how reliant professional sports are on gambling profits and advertisements. I get that it works, we have the same national lottery funding in the Netherlands. The adverse effect however is that policy to combat gambling addiction (good idea!) leads to less funding for sports (bad idea!). That's not to even mention the unavoidable avalanche of gambling ads and sponsorships in all of professional sports.

2 minutes ago, Jinzha said:

Totally offtopic, but it's a shame how reliant professional sports are on gambling profits and advertisements. I get that it works, we have the same national lottery funding in the Netherlands. The adverse effect however is that policy to combat gambling addiction (good idea!) leads to less funding for sports (bad idea!). That's not to even mention the unavoidable avalanche of gambling ads and sponsorships in all of professional sports.

Did the Netherlands follow the British system in sports financing? I mean using sports lottery funds + creating the NL Team (like UK Team).

10 minutes ago, copravolley said:

Generally, I have the impression that in such turbo-liberal economic governments as under Tacher, sport is having difficult times, especially the Olympic sport, which requires public subsidies. Football will always survive on private sponsorship.

Although it was very useful for the government to threaten football in the 80s due to the terrible emergence of violence at football matches

2 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Chociaż grożenie piłce nożnej w latach 80. było bardzo przydatne dla rządu z powodu straszliwego pojawienia się przemocy na meczach piłki nożnej

Exactly. Now, when I look at Premier League matches, people go there more like going to the cinema. It used to be unthinkable and it was scary to go to such a stadium. Now the Premier League is a product like the NBA in basketball, except that Arab capital has been allowed.

Posted (edited)

In fact one of the reasons that Thatcher lost popularity was her idea that people had to register to become "fans of football" and not to be seen as hooligans.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/may/18/seven-deadly-sins-thatcher-tories-football

Edited by Dragon
added citation

1 hour ago, Josh said:

:KEN women‘s 10000m team has been determined through the Prefontaine Classic. 

Beatrice Chebet

Lilian Kasait Rengeruk

Margaret Chelimo Kipkemboi

:KEN men’s 10000m team. 

Daniel Mateiko

Nicholas Kipkorir

Benard Kibet

Posted (edited)

James Preston :NZL breaks the 62yr old 800m national record that was held by the great Sir Peter Snell's 1:44.30. His time of 1:44.04 is also well below the Olympic standard of 1:44.70.

Edited by Joshi