website statistics

Weightlifting IWF World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

what a pleasant surprise :yikes::champion: gold in an Olympic weight after 5 years. that was a very strong field with only Karlos Nasar missing. 

we knew Javadi is good but not this good , this is his first year in the new weight. and now it's clear why coaches kicked that moron Rostami out of the team. 

of course he needs to lift more (mostly in snatch) if he wants to win a medal in Paris but that's next year's problem, for now he is the World Champion :champion:

1 hour ago, Federer91 said:

Well the hype fizzled fast with the 3 X's in the Snatch. Is he still injured and this was only for the appearance?

no, Today he was supposed to deliver at least an Olympic qualifying score (around 380 total)

he just missed out because probably he wasn't mentally sharp after the long period out of the international competitions

once he missed the first snatch, I saw the bombing out coming...and bang! he did it :cry: :facepalm:

I hope he can fix that soon, as the chances to qualify are always less (3 to go, if I remember well)

in the meantime, the OQR in the men's -89kg slightly changed in the lower useful positions

of course, :IRI Javadi broke in big time with his 384kg, but :IRI were already in good qualifying position thanks to Rostami's score of 380kg

now they just gained 1 position (from 5th to 4th) with the new entry

also Petr Asayonak (AIN, actually :BLR @Laraja you should correct the qualification table...he's not :RUS) improved his record to 371kg and his position (now he's 8th)

the man who actually entered the qualifying positions is :MDA Marin Robu (370kg), who's now 10th

unfortunately, :FRA Romain Imadouchene is 11th, the first below the line after his 369kg effort

:TKM Rejepbay Rejepov dropped from the 10th useful place to the 12th with his 366kg (he didn't compete in Riyadh, as he's facing a doping ban, therefore he's already out of everything)

Edited by phelps

12 minutes ago, phelps said:

in the meantime, the OQR in the men's -89kg slightly changed in the lower useful positions

of course, :IRI Javadi broke in big time with his 384kg, but :IRI were already in good qualifying position thanks to Rostami's score of 380kg

also Petr Asayonak (AIN, actually :BLR @Laraja you should correct the qualification table...he's not :RUS) improved his record to 371kg and his position (now he's 8th)

the man who actually entered the qualifying positions is :MDA Marin Robu (370kg), who's now 10th

unfortunately, :FRA Romain Imadouchene is 11th, the first below the line after his 369kg effort

:TKM Rejepbay Rejepov dropped from the 10th useful place to the 12th with his 366kg (he didn't compete in Riyadh)

Thanks, I will fix it on next update after Worlds. These AIN codes, and the undecision about :BLR and :RUS participation are getting me nuts

On 9/9/2023 at 10:29 PM, phelps said:

however, looking at the men's -73kg OQR, Today's competition didn't bring anything new to the standings

Today's Gold medallists :THA Weerapon Wichuma (349kg Total) was already high in the ranking, but of course now goes even higher, in 2nd place

the only new entry in the Top 10 is Today's Silver medallist, :CHN Wei Yinting (337kg Total), who climbed the ranking up to 7th place, consolidating :CHN position, as they were only 10th after Chen Lijun's effort in the -67kg a couple of days ago

now the last above the qualification line is Tokyo 2020 bronze medallist :ITA Mirko Zanni, who didn't participate in today's event (even if he was regularly registered in Group A) because of a knee injury that made the Italian coaches take the decision to pull out at the last minute to preserve him from aggravating said injury

actually Zanni is 9th, the Kazakh guy Churkin is 100% out, he didn't participate here and also facing a doping ban. 

participating in this tournament is mandatory, I think there is no point to keep the other absentee guys in the ranking. specially guys like Churkin and Rejepov who are also banned for doping.

(it's also very possible that their countries TKM and KAZ receive a ban but that's not a sure thing yet)

Sebastian Cabala finished 11th in the -81kg which is the best :SVK :weightlifting: result since the Tešovič era of the late 90s/early 00s. Great result for us, obviously we can not expect/ask more. Plus he is still very young, so it is even better. :yes

Edited by hckošice

15 hours ago, MHSN said:

I wonder if he is moving to 81 kg for the Asian Games ? or that was just one tournament in this weight because he didn't want to cut weight twice in two weeks ? :question: @Griff88 nevertheless it's insane to break the World Record in your first competition in the new category. he is surely lighter than 81kg.

Haven't been following this Championship closely but for now the coach is simply testing Rahmat in 81 kg for the WC. Maybe I'll try to contact the coach and ask him about the Asian Games entry.

9 hours ago, phelps said:

:TKM Rejepbay Rejepov dropped from the 10th useful place to the 12th with his 366kg (he didn't compete in Riyadh)

Rejepov :TKM is suspended with doping offince, he will miss Paris 2024. 

and Alexey Churkin :KAZ too 

Edited by El Analyzer

13 hours ago, MHSN said:

actually Zanni is 9th, the Kazakh guy Churkin is 100% out, he didn't participate here and also facing a doping ban. 

participating in this tournament is mandatory, I think there is no point to keep the other absentee guys in the ranking. specially guys like Churkin and Rejepov who are also banned for doping.

(it's also very possible that their countries TKM and KAZ receive a ban but that's not a sure thing yet)

oh, yes! you're right :yes

I totally forgot that :red: :facepalm:

thanks for the backup...I just can't always keep up with all the things happening around the sport (maybe I should follow less disciplines, but more carefully...but I love them all, what else can I do? :lol: :facepalm:)

not the comeptition people would normally expect in the men's -96kg

Gold went to :EGY Karim Abokahla with a Total of 387kg, Silver went to :KOR Won Jong-Beom with 384kg and Bronze went to :IRQ Qasim Al-Lami with 379kg

:EGY Abokhala also won gold in the C&J, meanwhile :IRQ Al-Lami won the Snatch gold

None of Today's scores are good enough to enter the useful positions of the men's -102kg OQR, but Abokahla's 387kg are just 1 kilo below the current line (unless there are some doping issues I forgot once again :rolleyes: is :KAZ Adiletuly still with us or we lost him, too? :mumble:)

p.s. @Laraja Tsikhantsou (men's -102kg OQR) is also from :BLR, not :RUS

Edited by phelps