website statistics

Athletics WA World Championships 2023

Totallympics

5 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

They can easily change the rules because vertical jumps are not attempt limited. I would say at least one extra jump before a tie can be offered.  Also who gets to make the offer?  Moon definitely put Kennedy on the spot by offering, but why should she take the initiative?  

There is no "offer" so to speak. If one of them disagrees for a tied medal the jump-off goes ahead regardless what the second person says.

The last time a jump-off went ahead was probably European Indoors in 2015 (Kuchina vs Trost). One year before at World Indoors in Sopot Kuchina & Lićwinko agreed to share the gold. Lićwinko said she asked Kuchina if she wants the jump-off and Kuchina said she's OK with the shared gold.

5 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

There is no "offer" so to speak. If one of them disagrees for a tied medal the jump-off goes ahead regardless what the second person says.

The last time a jump-off went ahead was probably European Indoors in 2015 (Kuchina vs Trost). One year before at World Indoors in Sopot Kuchina & Lićwinko agreed to share the gold. Lićwinko said she asked Kuchina if she wants the jump-off and Kuchina said she's OK with the shared gold.

There was a jump-off in the men's high jump at the 2015 worlds, but that was between three athletes (Drouin, Bondarenko and Zhang).

Probably would have been a little ridiculous for there to be a 3-way tie for gold between athletes that jumped to 2.33m...

1) SB's of Josh Kerr:

2017: 3:35.99

2018: 3:35.01

2019: 3:32.52

2020: 3:34.53

2021: 3:29.05

2022: 3:30.60

2023: 3:29.38

Huge explosion after covid hit. Quite common for a lot of athletes.

2) Katir once again underperformed.

3) Progression of Olivia Gürth (same coach as Mismas and Krause):

PB before 2023/SB in 2023:

800 m: 2:07.37/2:03.70

1500 m: 4:20.59/4:14.86

3000 m: 9:42.13/9:12.76

3000 m SC: 9:47.76/9:24.28

Maybe she can break the european U23 record (9:13) next year. Her and Lea Meyer both have a shot at making the top 8 next year.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

I see that nobody mentioned that, but Anita Włodarczyk did miss final of hammer throw just by 8cm. Its first time in her career to not qualify to final in either EC/WC/Olympics... :(

Im hoping that she will retire in Paris next year with final at least, we cant expecet more from this great champion.

Also, well done Kaczmarek :clap:

3 minutes ago, rybak said:

I see that nobody mentioned that, but Anita Włodarczyk did miss final of hammer throw just by 8cm. Its first time in her career to not qualify to final in either EC/WC/Olympics... :(

:clap:

One less hammer thrower, one more masked crimefighter.

Edited by Grassmarket

2 hours ago, Jinzha said:

Such a crazy depth on the 400m. It's quickly becoming my favorite distance. Would love to one day see a final with Paulino, Kaczmarek, Williams, McLaughlin, Miller-Uibo, Wilson and Bol. 

Adeleke is just 20 and has had a full season in the US Collegiate system. She  has 3 Olympics ahead of her. She will soon enough beat all of the above.

6 hours ago, NearPup said:

I honnestly like the possibility for ties in general (I really hate contrived tie breakers or races that are timed to a degree of precision that doesn't make sense), but the rule for how it can happen in the vertical jumps is a bit ridiculous.

I think it’s fine in this case. Both athletes clearly and visibly gave it their best effort and ended on the same height with very similar scorecards. It’s probably about as close as you can get to a “dead heat” tie in field events. 

I’m not really bothered by the tie here or at Tokyo. It still isn’t a super common outcome, and there’s no point in risking injuries due to exhaustion or risky tactics once the competition has reached a “natural” conclusion under the rules.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela