website statistics

Athletics WA World Championships 2023

Totallympics

Regarding the shared golds, everyone tied for gold can just decide together to stop jumping and then what...? 3, 5, 9, 12 shared gold medals become the norm?

Jump-off or DQ.

This is senior WCh not kindergarten. Athletes should aim to be the best.

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

6 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

1) Nordas improving by 7 seconds in one year after switching to Ingebrigtsen's dad ...

2) Ingebrigtsen dominating again all season long just for a scottish guy to completely explode at worlds ...

3) Why are most of the top british runners from Scotland? Rather weird given that they only account for a tiny part of the population. I guess Scotland is to GB what Norway is to the other scandinavian countries, something in the food there ...

GB has revived its long tradition in both the men's and women's 800 & 1500 m in the past 5-10 years and Scottish runners have played a big part in this. It's a big turnaround as British teams 10-20 years ago often only had one Scottish athlete - Liz McConnell. They were almost invariably outnumbered by Welsh athletes. I'm sure there's way more to it but the improvement seems to have coincided with Glasgow hosting the 2014 Commonwealth Games.

14 minutes ago, Werloc said:

They probably don't want to invest in better servers, because they only suffer these traffic spikes once in two years :d 

That obviously is the (by far) most likely explanation. I am sure that the officials are living very comfortably (in some 5 star hotel) though.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Another great session of athletics. Main highlight for me was the women's pole vault final, with both Kennedy and Moon over 4.90m. Some great marks outside of that though, with Murto clearing 4.80m for bronze,  and a NR (4.80m) from Sutej to finish in 4th. (Again :p)

Also enjoyed the men's 400m hurdles final, but it's probably because Warholm won, and McMaster finished on the podium :p 

5 minutes ago, dcro said:

Regarding the shared golds, everyone tied for gold can just decide together to stop jumping and then what...? 3, 5, 9, 12 shared gold medals become the norm?

Jump-off or DQ.

This is senior WCh not kindergarten. Athletes should aim to be the best.

There won't be more than 3 shared medals at any stage in vertical jumping events IMO. In reality only PV and HJ are affected because the number of jumps per height is fixed. Ties in horizontal jumps and throws are separated by the second best attempt. So nobody will change the rules that affects only two events of the entire lot.

9 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Have rewatched it & Ingebritsen did not congratulate Kerr at any point after the race. Extremely bad sportsmanship. :mad:

Actually there was some interaction between them. Sadly, unlike you, i was not in position to see/hear everything that happened between them after the race, so i can't say for certain what happened. Personally i never got why it is so important that everyone hugs after the race. If an athlete is disappointed after the race, he should be allowed to get some time for himself, it is not as if Ingebrigtsen actively tried to not congratulate Kerr, it just apparently wasn't a priority for him.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

There won't be more than 3 shared medals at any stage in vertical jumping events IMO. In reality only PV and HJ are affected because the number of jumps per height is fixed. Ties in horizontal jumps and throws are separated by the second best attempt. So nobody will change the rules that affects only two events of the entire lot.

Yeah, it’s really not a big deal

3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

They can easily change the rules because vertical jumps are not attempt limited. I would say at least one extra jump before a tie can be offered.  Also who gets to make the offer?  Moon definitely put Kennedy on the spot by offering, but why should she take the initiative?  

3 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Actually there was some interaction between them. Sadly, unlike you, i was not in position to see/hear everything that happened between them after the race, so i can't say for certain what happened. Personally i never got why it is so important that everyone hugs after the race. If an athlete is disappointed after the race, he should be allowed to get some time for himself, it is not as if Ingebrigtsen actively tried to not congratulate Kerr, it just apparently wasn't a priority for him.

I did not see any. Kerr ran forward to his family & Ingebritsen had gone to the mixed zone by the time he came back. The other Norwegian & everyone else shook his hand.  But I guess politeness is a cultural difference.

7 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

I did not see any. Kerr ran forward to his family & Ingebritsen had gone to the mixed zone by the time he came back. The other Norwegian & everyone else shook his hand.  But I guess politeness is a cultural difference.

1) There definitely was some interaction between them, but i think it was Kerr who initiated it.

2) Not sure if "politneness is a cultural difference" (doesn't really make sense, but i think i know what you tried to express), but the american (and apparently british?) way of acting best buddy with everyone isn't seen as "politeness" in other countries (for example eastern or northern europe). There is a difference between being polite and pretending to be polite.

3) Still don't understand why it is so important for some (british) people that everyone else congratulates them. Does your achievement have less value if others don't congratulate you or is it mostly about some people feeling the need to "remind" others that they beat them? I guess that is also a cultural thing ...

Edited by OlympicsFan