website statistics

Men's Basketball FIBA World Cup 2019

mrv86

Is the US with their 10th team :roflmao: They could have sent their college kids for the laughs just as well. 

By the way, i'm not a big basketball fan as a whole and i'm not paying that much attention to the Cup.

This first group stage looks like a one big chore. It doesn't feel like THE WORLD CUP, only every 4 years, the best players, dunkers etc. 32 teams is too much for basketball. I know, i know, like everything they want to make it a big global thing.

If they insisted on 32, they could have done with a few more european teams i reckon, to feel a bit more, umm, relevant. If you don't count the US, there are going to be hardly any european loses to a non-european teams.  

Walker was best player in Charlotte last year.

Mitchell is so far best player from Utah Jazz.

Tatum, Brown and Smart one of the best players from Celtics.

Lopez and Middlton one of the best in Milwaukee.

What to say about Barnes? He was in Olympic team 2016.

Tarner one of the best in Indiana.

So this is not bad players at all. Actually they are very good.

Edited by dareza

Just now, dareza said:

Tatum, Brown and Smart one of the best players from Celtics.

+ they have Gregg Popovich.

Just now, dareza said:

Tatum, Braun and Smart one of the best players from Celtics.

Not to mention they are being coached by the best coach in the world, and one of the best coaches in the NBA in Steve Kerr

Just now, ofan said:

Not to mention they are being coached by the best coach in the world, and one of the best coaches in the NBA in Steve Kerr

Coaches are other side of the medal but all these players are 3rd grade players compared to possible team. Only one player in NBA 2019 3rd team. 

35 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Is the US with their 10th team :roflmao: They could have sent their college kids for the laughs just as well. 

By the way, i'm not a big basketball fan as a whole and i'm not paying that much attention to the Cup.

This first group stage looks like a one big chore. It doesn't feel like THE WORLD CUP, only every 4 years, the best players, dunkers etc. 32 teams is too much for basketball. I know, i know, like everything they want to make it a big global thing.

If they insisted on 32, they could have done with a few more european teams i reckon, to feel a bit more, umm, relevant. If you don't count the US, there are going to be hardly any european loses to a non-european teams.  

I watched their 1998 team. And they were solid compared to this one. And their 1998 team was weakest in history.

Just now, ChandlerMne said:

I watched their 1998 team. And they were solid compared to this one. And their 1998 team was weakest in history.

That is so absurd. This team is composed of NBA players, several of which are potential All-Stars and the top players on their NBA team. The 1998 team had no NBA talent. I don't quite see how the two are comparable. 

Just now, ofan said:

That is so absurd. This team is composed of NBA players, several of which are potential All-Stars and the top players on their NBA team. The 1998 team had no NBA talent. I don't quite see how the two are comparable. 

Both teams are participants at WC, so how is that absurd? Absurd is statement that 1998 team played better than USA in 2019? Absurd is statement that 1998 team won a medal and this 2019 team could finish empty handed? Interesting.

Edited by ChandlerMne

I'm already sick of future stories that a nation that wins gold will be an undeserved winner because USA is not here with the best team. WHO CARES? Their problem, not problem the other teams.

And I still think that USA is huge favorite for gold.

Edited by dareza

Just now, dareza said:

I'm already sick of future stories that a nation that wins gold will be an undeserved winner because USA is not here with the best team. WHO CARES? Their problem, not problem the other teams.

And I still think that USA is huge favorite for gold.

It does undeniably cheapens the tournament. You can only beat the team in front of you, sure, but it is undeniable that regardless of who wins this tournament, they aren’t the best national team in the world (including if this US C-team wins).

Kind of reminds me of Olympic weightlifting (especially on the women’s side) where the Olympic champion often didn’t have to beat the best athlete in their weight class. Just feels a little cheap.

Edited by NearPup