website statistics

Men's Basketball FIBA World Cup 2019

mrv86

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Wise man right here.

What's even more infuriating is that China was in Pot A just for being the hosts.

So, basically, the Asian quota will be decided as a combination of host status, points difference and unbalanced groups. :wacko:

#banbestmen

oh well. that was a very good game until the last 3 minutes, I think the moment they started to  think "we can win the game" they choked again. the last 4-5 plays were disastrous. mostly TOs or very bad shoots. if basketball was 37 or 38 minutes we were in the second round with 2 wins  :d

btw I think Iran deserved more than a 0-3 record in the first round. we weren't that bad to be winless after the first round, and the loss against Tunisia was mostly the result of the previous game. and now they regret it much more seeing China not advancing from the easiest group of the tournament. they thought they are done after the Puerto Rico game.

Just now, dcro said:

What's even more infuriating is that China was in Pot A just for being the hosts.

So, basically, the Asian quota will be decided as a combination of host status, points difference and unbalanced groups. :wacko:

The Asian and African quotas will heavily come down to luck, unfortunately. Hopefully the two American and European quotas are, in the end, decided in a fair way.

So, considering just European teams we will have those groups:

I - Poland and Russia

J - Serbia, Italy, Spain

K - Turkey and Greece

L - France and Lithuania

In group I - i would say that Argentina will win 1st place and Russia 2nd. Poland is good but i pick Russia just because they are more experienced.

Group J - Serbia should finish 1st and Spain 2nd. But Italy is more than capable to win Spain.

Group K - most difficult to predict. Greece will win NZ, Turkey will win Czech Republic. So, USA and Brazil with 6, Greece and Turkey with 5. Is USA capable to win both matches? Dont know. But ok, i will pick them and Greece just because their reputation. 

Group L - also difficult to predict. 3 teams in contention. Australia is great, Lithuania also impressed me. I would say that Australia will finish 2nd and Lithuania 1st. 

So possible draw in 1/4 final would be

Argentina - Spain

USA - Australia

Serbia - Russia

Lithuania - Greece

From this part its impossible to predict because everyone is beatable.

But i will try.

Spain - Australia

Serbia - Lithuania.

Fight for 2 olympic spots will be also extremelly demanding.

When we talk about the strength of USA team it should be put into context of other teams playing. Which other teams impressed during this World Cup that you could put your hand into fire and say this team WILL beat US in a knockout round. I think Serbia has been impressive and Lithuania too but it's a 50-50 match to me, dismiss US at your own peril. Difference between this US team and others in the last few competitions was that neither US should be considered favorites as well in many matches. I said before competition started that in a bet US vs field  I would take the field, so basicaly anyone else winning, not USA. If you look to teams that should challenge them however Greece lost to Brazil which is playing with a bunch of 40yr olds. France played tough match vs Germany which lost to DR and they even didn't beat Jordan convincingly. Spain was tough to watch in all 3 matches. Italy doesn't have the size. Australia and Lithuania are as well far from unbeatable. So, it will be very interesting. 

Having said that, Turkey's choke is one of the biggest in the history of World Championships.