website statistics

Athletics IAAF World Championships 2019

Wumo

Just now, dcro said:

This would be perfect for Tokyo, as the weather conditions would be much more moderate.

I mean, in 1964 Tokyo did host the Olympics in October, but I guess people were smarter back then. ;)

It's only about the IOC...

after the Sydney Games, they said that the Olympics would be never held outside the "classic" late July/August slate anymore...

why? I don't know...

maybe they are scared about going against the Football season (on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean, American Football in North America and "Soccer" in the rest of the world) for TV rights/TV ratings issues...

Just now, Gianlu33 said:

They will the channel 58, so no any chance to have an HD trasmission?

when they are on the channel 58, no...just the awful SD we're used to...:facepalm::wall:

and the streaming is no HD either, so...I hope BBC are going to show the entire championship...:lol:

15 minutes ago, phelps said:

after the Sydney Games, they said that the Olympics would be never held outside the "classic" late July/August slate anymore...

why? I don't know...

maybe they are scared about going against the Football season (on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean, American Football in North America and "Soccer" in the rest of the world) for TV rights/TV ratings issues...

Think about all those youth and urban (or at least youth) sport fans having holiday in July/August and sitting at school in October instead of watching youth and urban Olympics.

17 minut temu, Vojthas napisał:

Think about all those youth and urban (or at least youth) sport fans having holiday in July/August and sitting at school in October instead of watching youth and urban Olympics.

They have World Urban Games now. Leave Olympics to the old ones, like us ;) 

While I wouldn't like Olympics to be held in this period, I think having the Athletics World Championships in this period of the year is not that bad. When they are held in August, especially in pre-Olympic years, they take place in a week with thousands of other sports' world championships/Olympic qualifiers. The first week of October is usually pretty calm, most of the summer sports have finished, most of the winter sports still has to start.

hace 2 horas, phelps dijo:

why? I don't know...

I think there is no way an Australia/New Zealand/South Africa (or Argentina, I can dream :p) olympics will be held in July/August, while nowhere as cold as european winter it would be very depressing and annoying for spectators and also athletes. Outdoor water sports in particular would be a nightmare I think.  

Rio was ok because they have practically one station all year. But further down it becomes a big problem.

7 minutos atrás, LDOG disse:

I think there is no way an Australia/New Zealand/South Africa (or Argentina, I can dream :p) olympics will be held in July/August, while nowhere as cold as european winter it would be very depressing and annoying for spectators and also athletes. Outdoor water sports in particular would be a nightmare I think.  

Rio was ok because they have practically one station all year. But further down it becomes a big problem.

Even in Rio Beach Volley night games were cold and unconfortable 

27 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Yeah that was one of the only problems with the Pan Ams In Lima. I often didn’t feel like summer.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

10 hours ago, LDOG said:

yeah, I know that...but apart from Australia (and surely not in Brisbane/Gold Coast...I'm pretty sure that the IOC wants Sydney to be the home of the Games once again, in case they choose to go downunder), I don't think we're ever going to see the Games hosted in the Southern Emisphere anymore...

p.s. and by the way, guys! speak for your own...:p

to me, when the temperature goes up the fridge-alike 3° / 4°C, it's always too hot and steamy...:yikes::evil::rofl::facepalm: