website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2021

:POR PORTUGAL :POR

As always, I choose to use this contest to show every year a different part of Portuguese music. 

Last year I showed something from the North of the country, this time I share with you something from the South, from a less known area between Lisbon and the south beaches of Algarve (very popular among the british :d). 

This region is called Alentejo, it's the biggest region of the country, but has a very low population density, with either villages or small cities spread around a landscape that is very typical of this area, with different traditions and costumes than the rest of the country.

image.png

It was also from Alentejo that were many of the men who, more than 500 years ago, went on ships traveling on sea journeys across the world, to places they don't even knew if they existed, and not knowing also when or if they would return home. 

This song is precisely that: the Alentejo way of singing (which is actually UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage) and a song about the mens who are leaving to the sea and hope to return one day to their homes.

:POR PORTUGAL :POR

Vitorino - Vou-me embora, vou partir

42 minutes ago, Ted said:

What about Greece? Since I'm relatively new to Totallympics, I'm clueless as to what we have to do to participate in the contest. Can we choose to nominate any Greek song we really like, regardless of whether it's old or recent?

For the Open edition, entries must be older than 5 years (Dec 31, 2016 is the cut-off date for this edition).

There is a more detailed rulebook in the second post of this thread.

#banbestmen

1 hour ago, rybak said:

@Werloc I think that it's time to start hunting people, right? :d 

I believe that there is huge chance for finally having Philippines at the TISC thanks to @Tigercub

3 SEA nations at one TISC would be quite something... :yikes:

#banbestmen

1 hour ago, rybak said:

@Werloc I think that it's time to start hunting people, right? :d 

I believe that there is huge chance for finally having Philippines at the TISC thanks to @Tigercub

I've been so overwhelmed with work lately, that you're lucky you didn't have to hunt me down :lol: 

47 minutes ago, maestro said:

I would like to participate for Greece or to join the national jury if @Ted also wants to take part. In that case, I can make some song suggestions to him in a personal message, if he hasn't decided yet.

You are most welcome to join, the more the better :)

I suggest you create a private message thread with @Ted and also include @Yannakis and @Makedonas both of whom participated in the previous TISC edition for Greece and decide together which song you would like to present.

It's wonderful to see another nation with many jury members! :thumbup: