website statistics

Upcoming qualification events for GB Road to Paris 2024

Posted (edited)

Thought i would start an event where we could share a) offical streams of events going on (i find a lot on youtube) and b) (more importantly) what upcomming qualifiers are happening that people may/may not know about 

For example i didn't know the fencing european qualifiers were this weekend (there was a stream of every piste on youtube) 

I'll get the ball rolling with some low hanging fruit, World relays in bahamas are this weekend :) just don't know if its on tv or not yet

Edited by Sindo

Posted (edited)

This list is 99% taken from the Team GB website (so any errors or omissions are their fault not mine :d )

• Women’s Gymnastics European Championships: Rimini, 2-5 May
  • Rowing European Championships, Szeged, 3-5 May
  • Athletics: World Relays, Bahamas, 4-5 May
  • BMX Racing World Championships, Rock Hill, 12-18 May
  • Canoe Slalom European Championships, Ljubljana, 15-19 May
  • Shotgun Shooting European Championships, Lonato, 15-27 May
  • Urban Sports - Olympic Qualifier Series: Shanghai, 16-19 May
  • Rowing: Last Chance Regatta, Lucerne, 19-21 May
  • Boxing: World Qualification Tournament 2, Bangkok, 23 May - 5 June
  • Modern Pentathlon World Championships: Zhengzhou, 10-16 June
  • Urban Sports - Olympic Qualifier Series: Budapest, 20-23 June
  • Rugby Sevens: Final Olympic Qualification Tournament, Monaco, 21-23 June
  • Athletics - UK Athletics Championships, Manchester, 29-30 June

Looks like the World Relays will be on the red button/online on the Beeb - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001z4vv

Edited by Epic Failure

Lol. Good spot. And that one is definitely on them. They had both European champs in aquatics and athletics but I removed them as they probably have limited impact on the Olympic team (whilst obviously being interesting in themselves).

Another direct quota event coming up next week - 8-9th May will be the European Canoe Sprint Regatta in Szeged :HUN and GB could/should have chances to qualify a couple of boats.

Deborah Kerr has been selected in women's K1 500m and she will team up with Emma Russell in the women's K2 500m. The Reid/Russel pairing finished 9th in last year's world championships and with most of the main European nations qualified already, GB should be in the mix for 1 of the 2 quotas available.

Katie Reed is back trying to get to her second Olympics. She will compete in the women's C1 200m.

On the men's side, Dan Johnson will go in the men's K1 1000m whilst James Russell and Trevor Thomson will be in the men's K2 500m. 

4 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Next direct quotas on offer for GB should be this weekend at the European Archery Championships in Essen :GER

This is exactly what i needed cause i probably (definitely) would have missed that

• 2 weeks later...

Busy few days for qualification/selection:

Rowing - Last Chance Regatta kicks off on Sunday. GB looking to add men's single sculls and women's double to the team.

Shooting - European Shotgun Championships start on Thursday with Trap qualifying getting underway on Friday.

Sport Climbing / Skateboarding / BMX Freestyle - The Olympic Qualifying Series for sport climbing and skateboarding gets underway in Shanghai on Thursday whilst the competition for BMX freestyle starts on Friday

Beach Volleyball - The CEV Beach Volleyball Nations Cup starts at the weekend. Hopefully the Bello brothers and Batrane/Bialokoz can do enough to be in the mix for a quota.

Athletics - Hypo Gotzis meeting. Not a selection event per se, but there's not a huge number of opportunities for our decathletes/heptathletes to get the qualifying standards so if you hit here, then you're pretty much guaranteed to be on Eurostar. Holly Mills, Abigail Pawlett and Jodie Smith are scheduled to be competing.

Athletics - Night of the 10,000m PBs. This is the official selection event for the 10000m. Both Megan Keith and Eilish McColgan have the entry standard already.  Although McColgan isn't competing this weekend, she is pretty safe for selection. Megan Keith is in great form and will be looking to revise her PB in what will be only her 2nd 10000m. Jess Warner-Judd is currently in a qualifying position through the rankings but will be looking to get the entry time of 30:40.00. 

On the men's side, Patrick Dever is the best placed GB athlete and he will be looking to shave about 9 seconds off his PB set at The Ten in March. Behind him, keep an eye on Charles Hicks (needs 34 second PB) and Zakariya Mahamad who will be looking to join his brother on the GB team. To do that he will need to take 57 seconds off his PB so it may be a longshot.