website statistics

Upcoming qualification events for GB Road to Paris 2024

On 5/14/2024 at 12:26 AM, Rafa Maciel said:

Another one to add to the list starting on Wednesday - Table Tennis European qualifier. Tin Tin Ho and Anna Hursey competing in the women's event but with Liam Pitchford currently out injured, Paul Drinkhall is the sole GB athlete competing in the men's singles. 

Despite a really strong group stage, Drinkhall crashes out in the first knock out round. 

Posted (edited)

Anna Hursey comes back from 3-0 down against the Slovakian Tatiana Kukulkova (who was one of the favourites to qualify). She's now one game away from qualifying for the Olympics. Tin-Tin Ho is currently 2-1 up against Britt Eerland from Holland, with the Dutch lass looking set to make it 2-2. 

Edited by Cinnamon Bun

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Anna Hursey comes back from 3-0 down against the Slovakian Tatiana Kukulkova (who was one of the favourites to qualify) to secure her spot in Paris. Tin-Tin Ho is currently 2-1 up against Britt Eerland from Holland, with the Dutch lass looking set to make it 2-2. Even if Ho loses here, I believe she will still have a chance to qualify in a separate tournament with all the quarter final loser in a battle for the last spot. 

Ho actually ended up winning that set and went 3-1 up, but Eerland came back and won 4-3. She will get another chance in the second qualifier tomorrow and Sunday. 

Edited by Cinnamon Bun

5 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Ho actually ended up winning that set and went 3-1 up, but Eerland came back and won 4-3. I believe this now means Ho goes into a play-off with all of the quarter final losers for the final Olympic spot. 

Not the right forum and we can discuss at length in the run up to LA, but I do think that table tennis is one of the (many) sports where having the home nations approach is not the most effective way of progressing the sport at the elite level. 

Just now, Rafa Maciel said:

Not the right forum and we can discuss at length in the run up to LA, but I do think that table tennis is one of the (many) sports where having the home nations approach is not the most effective way of progressing the sport at the elite level. 

That's very true. It spreads the development of players across four nations which ultimately stunts the development of young prospects as they're not getting the best coaching and development that GB as a whole has to offer. Also having to rely on players from the Asia region having dual citizenship isn't helping that cause.