website statistics

Commonwealth Games 2022

Totallympics

12 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I wonder what will happen to the boxing team.

I know Northern Ireland jurisdiction is a bit complicated, but what's FIG's claim, that Northern Ireland is solely Great Britain, ignoring that the people are both Irish and British?

Looks that way. Pretty disgraceful that only gymnastics has made this ruling and only now for these games (as Rhys McClenaghan is already a commonwealth champion). 

In boxing, fighters from the Republic of Ireland have often represented NI at the commonwealth games. Last time out there were athletes and badminton players. 

Medalists at the last games in boxing and gymnastics represented IRL in international competition while the shooters represented GB. English born athlete Leon Reid in athletics was in the midst of transferring from GB to IRL. 

I suspect the FIG will reverse this decision once they give it an ounce of thought 

18 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Controversy!  Traditionally :IRL athletes with connections to :NIR have been able to compete for Northern Ireland in the Comms, but now bureaucrats have found out this is happening & put a stop to it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/gymnastics/61596695

I don't think this is too unreasonable. If you want to compete for one jurisdiction then you shouldn't be able to change it that easily. However, it is ridiculous when you consider athletes changing to countries like :QAT based on extremely suprious connections, at least this guy has a connection to both :NIR and :IRL

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

1 hour ago, Mkbw50 said:

I don't think this is too unreasonable. If you want to compete for one jurisdiction then you shouldn't be able to change it that easily. However, it is ridiculous when you consider athletes changing to countries like :QAT based on extremely suprious connections, at least this guy has a connection to both :NIR and :IRL

It’s not a question of changing permanently, but just for this event. 

But should you be able to change for one event only? Imagine an Italian footballer with French connections who decides as :ITA did not qualify for the World Cup he will switch to :FRA for one tournament, then switch back

In brotherhood unfold

20 minutes ago, Mkbw50 said:

But should you be able to change for one event only? Imagine an Italian footballer with French connections who decides as :ITA did not qualify for the World Cup he will switch to :FRA for one tournament, then switch back

The difference here is the :IRL doesn't compete at the Commonwealth Games and :NIR doesn't compete internationally in gymnastics.

It would be like not allowing :FRA swimmers to compete for :NCL at the Pacific Games despite being born there.

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

The difference here is the :IRL doesn't compete at the Commonwealth Games and :NIR doesn't compete internationally in gymnastics.

It would be like not allowing :FRA swimmers to compete for :NCL at the Pacific Games despite being born there.

And it's very well understood that people from :NIR can hold :GBR and/or :IRL citizenship based on the Good Friday agreement. So it makes a lot of sense to let people from :NIR a free choice to compete for either :GBR or :IRL when competing for :NIR isn't an option.

3 hours ago, Mkbw50 said:

He is Northern Irish and Irish. Of course he should be allowed to compete. People from Northern Ireland have the right to choose their nationality, it’s not for gymnastics to decide. It’s ignorance on their part to assume he has to be Northern Irish and British.

Turns out this isn't the first time the FIG decreed Irish-registered gymnasts (& officials) NI-ineligible. They previously did so w.r.t. the 2018 Games but later agreed to a compromise (proposed by Gymnastics Ireland and British Gymnastics) that only gymnasts would be permitted in the Games.

As for these Games, the FIG are currently sticking to their guns and have offered two options:

* Remove the CWG from the list of FIG-registered competitions (at the CGF's request; a non-starter at this late stage, so say CGF officials)

* Athletes change their FIG license nationality registration (i.e. switch to a British licence)

GI are appealing to the FIG to change their minds again, though I wouldn't be surprised if this dispute ended up before CAS.

18 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yeah, sailing is a big omission. Archery and tennis should really be on the program as well in my opinion. 

Tennis pros would nearly always prioritise the tour over Comm Games. Some even prioritise the tour over the Olympics. If Birmingham were to include tennis it would be competing with an ATP/WTA 1000 tournament on the same week.

7 hours ago, OlympicIRL said:

He is Northern Irish and Irish. Of course he should be allowed to compete. People from Northern Ireland have the right to choose their nationality, it’s not for gymnastics to decide. It’s ignorance on their part to assume he has to be Northern Irish and British.

Yes, you can choose your nationality. But for the Commonwealth Games, Ireland is not part of the Commonwealth. So if you choose to compete for Ireland and that's what your license is under it seems reasonable to me that you do not compete in the Commonwealth Games.

In brotherhood unfold