website statistics

Athletics WA World Championships 2023

Totallympics

No Lithuanians tomorrow, but Wednesday is a very important day for our team.

Gabija Galvydytė 800m, Liveta Jasiūnaitė JT, Gediminas Truskauskas 200m, Grikšaitė and Kilty in the TJ and U23 silver medalist Karinauskaitė in the 3000m Steeplechase.

One of the most important goals for all our athletes here is to secure a top 16 first, because that's how you get your funding for the next few years. 

Massive up-and-down session. Awesome gold for Richardson, stunning throw by Ståhl, but on the other hand.....Warholm not being DQ'ed because he is too big of a star and teenage sensation (and pretty much medal favourite, if not title favourite) Jaydon Hibbert being injured....

Still entertaining though, as always :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, phelps said:

well, Italy has a stricter anti-doping law (even the athletes could theoretically end up in jail...Schwazer had to admit all of his faults in 2012 and pay a very high prize -not only the 4 year ban, he also lost his job in the Carabinieri group and had to pay a high fine to avoid jail) and NADO is really drawing a lot of funds from the general sport account (the problem is that they spend all of them pursuing amateur athletes and being part of some plots related to the internal wars in the Italian sport system)

for :GER instead, I can only name a few episodes (all in the last 15 years, so well after the end of the former GDR histeria):

Deutsche Telekom, Jan Ullrich and his teammates attending Dr. Fuentes lab

Humansplasma clinic in Wien (managed by a German doctor and attended by all the best cross country skiers and biathletes of that age)

operation Aderlass

and I could add the Leipold case (Sydney 2000) and Sachenbacher when she switched to biathlon and a few more

not that I'm blaming :GER more than any other...all the Countries have their skeletons in the closet (:ITA included...we all know who dr. Conconi and dr. Ferrari are and where they come from -just to name a couple, don't worry)

I'm only loughing at the idea that the German coaches/officials have a true adversion to certain methods...it's not...they're just as many others (sure, not the worst in the world, we all know that there are some "addicted" to certain methods that go way beyond the average)

I am still waiting for the list of countries with stricter anti-doping laws and a better funded NADA. Not sure why you felt comfortable enough to chime in when you clearly can't name those countries ...

The german anti-doping law also asks for athletes to land in jail (up to 3 years) and the people behind it can also end up in jail (up to 10 years). Not sure how that makes the italian law more strict?

Also not sure what the cases you named have to do with anything? Nowhere did i claim that there is no doping in Germany, but that the consequences of getting caught are more severe and that athletes and coaches are more hesitant to use doping. Also there is less incentive to dope (since the medal bonuses in Germany are laughable and unless you are a soccer player, it is almost impossible to earn a decent living as an athlete). You can compare how Armstrong and Ulrich were treated after getting caught if you want to see the difference between the US and Germany (Ulrich destroying his life (becoming a drug addict) + german TV not showing the Tour de France anymore). Also not sure why you feel the need to mention things that german nationals did in other countries? You are basically proving my point (german officials couldn't keep their doping going in Germany, so they went abroad). Another interesting case (if you want to educate yourself) would be Armin Klümper. When athletes like Sachenbacher, Ulrich, Klöden, Friesinger, Niemann-Stirnemann, Baumann or Schumann were at their peak, Germany was far more successful in classic endurance sports like cycling, cross-country skiing, rowing or speed skating. You might ask yourself why Germany became completely irrelevant in those sports (did they forget everything or weren't they willing/able anymore to use the same methods that made them successful before)? Also if i remember correctly Sachenbacher only got "banned" for 5 days, if that is one of the biggest cases you could find, then that isn't very convincing. Interestingly enough her coach at that time was a certain Wolfgang Pichler, who later went on to rebuild the swedish biathlon team from scratch ... (i am sure you see a pattern here). You have clearly shown that you aren't really familiar with german sport or the doping discussion in Germany. I think you only really know how hot this topic is if you are actually german. After everything that happened in the GDR (doping children, athletes dying, doping athletes without their knowledge), this topic is completely "burned" in Germany. I think the only people in Germany that are treated worse than dopers (and their coaches) are pedophiles. I don't think that you can compare it with the situation in any other country. Would be like comparing the antisemitism/right-wing politics discussion in Germany with the same discussion in other countries. It absolutely doesn't compare.

Other interesting (former GDR) coaches you might want to look into:

Jürgen Gröbler (rowing coach who went to :GBR)

Jutta Lau (rowing coach who went to :CHN)

Uwe Hohn & Klaus Bartonietz (athletics coaches who went to India, former coaches of olympic champion :IND Neeraj Chopra)

Dieter Kollark (athletics coach who went to China, former coach of olympic champion :CHN Gong Lijiao)

Wolfgang Pichler (biathlon coach who coached in :RUS and now :SWE)

Markus Cramer (cross-country skiing coach who coached in :RUS and :SUI Cologna, now coaches in :ITA ...)

Joachim Franke (former coach of Claudia Pechstein)

Gabriele Fuß & Stephan Gneupel (former coach of Gunda Niemann-Stirnemann)

Ekkart Arbeit (athletics coach who worked in :GBR and :RSA:AUS wanted to hire him before their home olympics in 2000)

Klaus Rudolph (swimming coach who worked in :CHN)

Heiko Salzwedel (track cycling coach who worked in :AUS and :GBR)

Hartmut Buschbacher (rowing coach who worked in :USA & :CHN)

Frank Rogall (rowing coach who worked in :CHN)

Harald Jährling (rowing coach who worked in :AUS)

Eberhard Mund (rowing coach who worked in :FRA)

Theodor Körner (rowing coach who worked in :ITA)

Wolfgang Richter (swimming coach who worked in :ESP)

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

3 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I am still waiting for the list of countries with stricter anti-doping laws and a better funded NADA. Not sure why you felt comfortable enough to chime in when you clearly can't name those countries ...

https://www.sportschau.de/newsticker/dpa-aktueller-denn-je-nada-sorgt-sich-um-finanzierung-100.html

From that article, it doesn't seem that german anti-doping is swimming in cash. And for reference french anti doping agency has a budget of 11.2 M€ vs 12 M€ (apparently) for its german counterpart which must be about an average Bundesliga 3 team budget or something...

9 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I love how everyone from every country always feels like their country is performing badly. Which is just impossible, because if every country performs badly, we're going to be left with medals that aren't won by anyone :p 

No… Belgium would win them all then.