website statistics

Alpine Skiing 2023 - 2024 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

45 minutes ago, rafalgorka said:

Thais great! I hope this become true.

2 minutes ago, LuizGuilherme said:

Thais great! I hope this become true.

I know Brazil doesn’t have any medal worthy winter sport athletes but really? Personally I would rather not have neutralized athletes representing my country, but maybe that’s just me haha. 

1 hour ago, rafalgorka said:

I guess the memes after his retirement might be coming full cirlce then @heywoodu

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

31 minutes ago, Josh said:

I know Brazil doesn’t have any medal worthy winter sport athletes but really? Personally I would rather not have neutralized athletes representing my country, but maybe that’s just me haha. 

Well, he is... Brazilian? He is born in Norway but his mom is brazilian and he has 2 passports. He is always in Brazil btw, just take a look at his Instagram.

55 minutes ago, Josh said:

He isn't naturalized.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

Yeah, that was bound to happen, given that Norwegian journalists had already been fishing for contacts within the Brazilian federation for at least a few days :d 

Interesting though, not that long ago the rule within the Brazilian snow sports federation was that people who had competed for another country already could absolutely under no circumstances compete for Brazil. I guess the sudden marketing opportunity did change that :d 

I just mostly really, really hope this isn't going to make the Brazilian snow sports federation take away even more of their money (which is quite a lot) from other sports so they can spend every cent on Braathen...personally I find this really cool news, but I do also fear the effect it will have on the other sports, specifically cross-country skiing of course.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

We can by now definitely say it's absolutely going to happen :p

Brazilian media noticing it as well.

https://ge.globo.com/olimpiadas-de-inverno/noticia/2024/03/06/destaque-mundial-lucas-braathen-decide-defender-o-brasil-no-esqui-estou-apaixonado.ghtml

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

And confirmed, Norwegian media is picking it up quite a lot of course, here's one including some comments from our very own @brunamoura who got asked about it this week :d 

https://www.vg.no/sport/alpint/i/nQ3nmo/brasiliansk-jubel-for-lucas-braathen-overgang-den-beste-nyheten-noen-gang

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

According to several German speaking media sites, Marcel Hirscher plans to make his comeback: For the Netherlands! Marcel Hirscher steht offenbar vor dem Comeback im Skisport: Österreicher will für die Niederlande starten - Eurosport

Edited by EselTheDonkey