website statistics

Judo IJF World Championships 2019

hckošice

today's early action recap...

women's -70kg semifinals

:FRA Margaux Pinot vs :POR Barbara Timo
:FRA Marie Eve Gahie vs :GBR Sally Conway

repechage round

:NED Sanne Van Dijke vs :AUT Michaela Polleres (winner going for Bronze vs loser of Gahie vs Conway fight)
:PUR Maria Perez vs :SWE Anna Bernholm  (winner going for Bronze vs loser of Pinot vs Timo fight)

men's -90kg semifinals

:NED Noel Van T End vs :SRB Nemanja Majdov
:SWE Markus Nyman vs :JPN Soichiro Mukai

repechage round

:FRA Axel Clerget vs :AZE Mammadali Mehdiyev (winner going for Bronze vs loser of Nyman vs Mukai fight)
:HUN Krisztian Toth vs :CUB Ivan Felipe Silva Morales  (winner going for Bronze vs loser of Van T End vs Majdov fight)

6 hours ago, MHSN said:

you can't fake injury several times, it happened before, no more room for that !

you had a good point here, with this, they are only punishing our own athletes, I don't know why people asking for more "punishment" just because it's Iran ? I never said anybody asks for banning Algeria for example. of course those who made such policy don't care if they IJF or IOC bans Iran or something, people probably don't remember Iran was the only ( am I right ?) country boycotted both 1980 and 1984 Olympics, of course we are not living in 1980s, there is no charismatic leader anymore and they have to justify their actions but they always say "sacrificing a medal is nothing comparing to those sacrificed their lives for the country" and in fact the only sport that matters in Iran is football . that's why the only international organization that can force a serious change in Iran is FIFA, not even UN but FIFA. FIFA did that before in 2006 and is doing it again on another matter, and in a good way.

of course Judo is half dead here and if they continue the new policy of not even participating wherever Israel participates, there will be no motivation left for younger athletes to continue this path. in past they would count on luck and the draw but after that letter to IJF they decided to simply not participate. this way this is better to completely shut down Judo here.

well that's the question I don't want to know the answer ! :( at least for now Israel sucks in almost every sport, in other sports they just have to avoid Israel in the first round and Israel usually don't go any further but what if they improve ? I don't know. actually Israel had won only 1 medal in World Taekwondo Championship and that medal happened because their fighter had to face Iran in QF back in 2005 and you know the rest ...

btw, that only applies to head to head sports, weightlifting is not included. unless they have to stand on the same podium.

Yes, even someone who doesnt like sports as much, will now what is happening with those 'injuries' and 'losses'.

I was reading some Wiki article about Iran-Israel relations and i can say that no one has enough knowledge to be judge in this case. Its to complicated. I see that those relations were good in some period,decent in another...

Combining politics and sport is extremelly difficult, victims are always on the later, not on the former. Iran just didnt find right balance in boycoting Israel and allowing athletes to show everything they can. Sport is great ambassador for Iran. Benefits of medals shouldnt be ignored by the government, should they?Westerners tend to judge everything just because they think they know everything. Iran was deemed as an evil country few years ago. You know, nuclear power, Ahmadinejad, supreme leaders. So, propaganda did what it knows the best. 10 countries will do the same,but only Iran is mentioned and criticised. Plus, some western governments are hypocrites. Saudi Arabia banned women from olympics up until 2012 and it was ok for western countries just because Saudi goverment was strategic partner,mainly for USA. So, i understand your point of view, but its double standard, and Iran will always be 'culprit' in that sense.

That is also my fear. Iran is always heading toward world scene, only world championships count. So, why to bother when best possible scenario is to win a medal on Asian championships or Asian games? And to hope that Israel wont be good in particular category? As you mentioned, that logic was enough few years ago ( Mirasemeilli case) when Israel was good only in 1 or 2 weights. But now, they are good in almost every category.

I know, thought that Israel can win a medal in wrestling is quite funny as its impossible. But, giving some Ossetian or Dagestani citizenship is more than realistic. Mussulbes won medals for Slovakia. Why not for Israel? Wrestling keeps changing. Nationalisation of wrestlers is more present than ever. Israel is already doing that but all of them werent as good. Sometimes in the future, they will chose some above average wrestler and judo will repeat...

I know its only a theory, but not impossible at all...

4 hours ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

Israel will never be good in any of those.  The judo is in a special place because of 92 and Oren Smadja and Yael Arad.  This is our national sport.  Used to be sailing too however that went to the back burner

In the Olympics out of 9 medals.  Only 1 came from something other then sailing and judo.   2000 Michael Kalganov in canoe sprint

To some extent, i am familliar with that. But as i told to MHSN, sport is changing. Who would say that Israel will be two times in a row European basketball champion (youth level)? Nationalisation can also happen, Ossetian wrestlers are great. And so on...

I know that chance for wrestling or taekwondo medal is extremelly unrealistic but from Iranian POV, its also something to think about.

The injury couldn't stop Tóth from reaching the bronze match. I doubt that he will be able to win our first medal at a Judo WCh since 2014, but he still proved once again that he's the one judoka in our team who can realistically win a medal in Tokyo. 

Edited by Vektor

2 hours ago, ChandlerMne said:

To some extent, i am familliar with that. But as i told to MHSN, sport is changing. Who would say that Israel will be two times in a row European basketball champion (youth level)? Nationalisation can also happen, Ossetian wrestlers are great. And so on...

I know that chance for wrestling or taekwondo medal is extremelly unrealistic but from Iranian POV, its also something to think about.

And how many of those basketball players were Americans with Jewish heritage who never lived like 5 seconds in Israel in first place? :lol:

Maybe Israel finds enough gymnasts from former USSR to mount a run at an Olympic medal. I mean Shatilov has won medals at World Champs but he's probably too old now.

Just now, Monzanator said:

And how many of those basketball players were Americans with Jewish heritage who never lived like 5 seconds in Israel in first place? :lol:

Maybe Israel finds enough gymnasts from former USSR to mount a run at an Olympic medal. I mean Shatilov has won medals at World Champs but he's probably too old now.

I will try to find their roster but these new generations are usually born in Israel. But yes, in recent history there were many USA born players in Israel. Even their former coach is actually American.

I remember him. And i agree with you. But Israel can focus more on rhythmic than on artistic gymnastics in that sense. I think that their full team in RG from Beijing is Soviet born.