website statistics

Judo IJF World Championships 2019

hckošice

5 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

+ what the hell is going on with Kosovo?

I’ve been reading a few stories about their program. Essentially the government/NOC are allocating a lot of their money towards that. Plus, it’s become a cultural thing since they won gold at Rio and then again this year at Minsk.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judo_at_the_2015_Southeast_Asian_Games

Zaw Myo Ooo :MYA, who got bronze in the -90kg, was now fighting at the world championships in the +100kg and he was absolutely huge :yikes: (not in the tall, muscled way...)

I'd guess he was at the very least 120kg or something, in only four years that is some gain :yikes: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

11 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Netherlands and France are collecting medals like crazy...

well, actually all the French medals won so far were expected...maybe Malonga's gold is a bit surprising, but for sure she was a medal candidate before the start of the champs...

meanwhile Agbegnenou is one of the greatest judo player ever...I'm more surprised when she doesn't win (like in Rio) rather than when she does it...

Gahie is also a great talent, she physically dominant and she can also find many "unconventional" ways of winning the bouts (which is quite unusual for French judo players, who normally rely on the most classic techniques from the standing position)...I expected her to win a global title sooner or later...

I'm going further...I expected also Bouchard to get a medal...

among the men, Clerget already won Bronze last year, so he can't be named "surprising"...

the only medal I didn't really expect for them, is Margaux Pinot's (I mean, she's a very good player, too...but a medal...well, not yet...and instead she did it)...

Netherlands and France are collecting medals like crazy...

well, also the Netherlands, looking at their Grand Prix/Grand Slams results were expected to collects medals in the middle/heavy classes...

maybe Van T End went a little further than expected with the Gold medal, but surely a podium finish wouldn't be a surprise in any case...and they still missed out on the podium with Tsjakadoea, De Wit and Roy Meyer, who had a lot of great results over the whole season...

moreover, I think their women underperformed...I expected people like Polling, Steenhuis, Verkerk, Vermeer ending up with a medal...and they all failed...

what the hell is going on with Kosovo?

well, when your leader is basically a National hero, then you can expect that she's gonna get all kind of support, financially and politically...

moreover, they interpretate a kind of judo that I don't like at all, but nowadays it seems to be the most effective to earn global medals...

however, it's just a small group of athletes capitalizing all the investments made on them...I wouldn't define them "a judo school"...they've been lucky to find 2/3 very strong girls in the same period of time, but who knows if they're going to build on that for the future?

Netherlands and France are collecting medals like crazy + what the hell is going on with Kosovo?

Japan already seems to fade a bit, will be interesting to see how many golds they will actually win next year. I expected them to be in a better position by now in sports like gymnastics or swimming. Wrestling and judo are the sports that could still get them a 3rd or 4th place in the medal table.

I wrote it here before the champs started...everybody expected them to sweep the tournament, but they are feeling the pressure...and they will feel it even more next year...

and technically, they're always struggling with the physical superiority and the unconventional style of many of their opponents, especially in the heaviest classes...nowadays, perfect technique is not enough to win bouts in the world/Olympic tournaments...

I don't expect them to win more than 3/4 gold medals also next year...

Edited by phelps

today's early action recap...

women's +78kg semifinals

:CUB Idalys Ortiz vs :BRA Maria Suelen Altheman
:TUR Kayra Sayit vs :JPN Akira Sone

repechage round

:BRA Beatriz Souza vs :AZE Iryna Kindzerska (winner going for Bronze vs loser of Sayit vs Sone fight)
:JPN Sarah Asahina vs :BIH Larisa Ceric  (winner going for Bronze vs loser of Ortiz vs Altheman fight)

men's +100kg semifinals

:GEO Guram Tushishvili vs :JPN Hisayoshi Harasawa
:KOR Kim Min Jong vs :CZE Lukas Krpalek

repechage round

:BRA Rafael Silva vs :NED Henk Grol (winner going for Bronze vs loser of Kim vs Krpalek fight)
:NED Roy Meyer vs :BRA David Moura  (winner going for Bronze vs loser of Tushishvili vs Harasawa fight)

Just now, phelps said:

well, actually all the French medals won so far were expected...maybe Malonga's gold is a bit surprising, but for sure she was a medal candidate before the start of the champs...

meanwhile Agbegnenou is one of the greatest judo player ever...I'm more surprised when she doesn't win (like in Rio) rather than when she does it...

Gahie is also a great talent, she physically dominant and she can also find many "unconventional" ways of winning the bouts (which is quite unusual for French judo players, who normally rely on the most classic techniques from the standing position)...I expected her to win a global title sooner or later...

I'm going further...I expected also Bouchard to get a medal...

among the men, Clerget already won Bronze last year, so he can't be named "surprising"...

the only medal I didn't really expect for them, is Margaux Pinot's (I mean, she's a very good player, too...but a medal...well, not yet...and instead she did it)...

well, also the Netherlands, looking at their Grand Prix/Grand Slams results were expected to collects medals in the middle/heavy classes...

maybe Van T End went a little further than expected with the Gold medal, but surely a podium finish wouldn't be a surprise in any case...and they still missed out on the podium with Tsjakadoea, De Wit and Roy Meyer, who had a lot of great results over the whole season...

moreover, I think their women underperformed...I expected people like Polling, Steenhuis, Verkerk, Vermeer ending up with a medal...and they all failed...

well, when your leader is basically a National hero not only because of her results (Olympic Gold in Rio), but also because she gave up another almost safe Olympic Gold 4 years before, refusing to compete under another Flag (Albania) waiting for Kosovo to be recognized by UN and IOC, then you can expect anything from that group...

moreover, they interpretate a kind of judo that I don't like at all, but nowadays it seems to be the most effective to earn global medals...

however, it's just a small group of athletes capitalizing all the investments made on them...I wouldn't define them "a judo school"...they've been lucky to find 2/3 very strong girls in the same period of time, but who knows if they're going to build on that for the future?

I wrote it here before the champs started...everybody expected them to sweep the tournament, but they are feeling the pressure...and they will feel it even more next year...

and technically, they're always struggling with the physical superiority and the unconventional style of many of their opponents, especially in the heaviest classes...nowadays, perfect technique is not enough to win bouts in the world/Olympic tournaments...

I don't expect them to win more than 3/4 gold medals also next year...

Kelmendi actually did represent Albania in 2012.

Just now, ChandlerMne said:

Kelmendi actually did represent Albania in 2012.

oh, yes...you're right...

I really thought she didn't compete for them, because she wanted to save her chance to go for Kosovo once they were recognized...

I didn't remember she was allowed to start for ALB and then switch team later on...:facepalm:

changed/fixed that sentence...;)

Edited by phelps

Just now, phelps said:

oh, yes...you're right...

I did really thought she didn't compete for them, because she wanted to save her chance to go for Kosovo once they were recognized...

I didn't remember she was allowed to start for ALB and then switch team later on...:facepalm:

Yes, her only dream was competing for Kosovo but it wasnt recognised by IOC back in 2012. She had just 2 options. To skip games overall and to compete for natural alternative, Albania. And she picked 2nd option. She was great in that days but she lost to Legentil from Mauritsius, which was huge surprise.

According to Wikipedia Silva is 165kg? :yikes: I mean, I see the guy is huge, but 165kg? :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

That wasn't fair, he just lied down on Grol :lol: 

Here comes the only time in my life I'm ever cheering against Moura :p