website statistics

Rowing WR World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

12 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

And of course the IOC are going to take the $$$$ rather than defend the integrity of the sport.  :thumbdown:

It is going to be interesting to see how the crews adapt to the shorter course - so many of them use the 3rd 500 to establish themselves in the race.

30 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

And of course the IOC are going to take the $$$$ rather than defend the integrity of the sport.  :thumbdown:

Water isn’t a sure thing in Southern California. The Long Beach Marine Stadium is really the only traditional spot for rowing in Los Angeles. Long Beach could remove the bridge, but that would negatively impact residents in the area. I think reducing the distance ultimately became the best compromise.

There’s also a possibility Oklahoma City will be called in to host canoe slalom at the national whitewater center.

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Water isn’t a sure thing in Southern California. The Long Beach Marine Stadium is really the only traditional spot for rowing in Los Angeles. Long Beach remove the bridge, but that would negatively impact residents in the area. I think reducing the distance ultimately became the best compromise.

There’s also a possibility Oklahoma City will be called in to host canoe slalom at the national whitewater center.

Or you could go to Lake Tahoe, which has a lake.  Plus a house owned by my brother, just sayin’.

Edited by Grassmarket

14 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Or you could go to Lake Tahoe, which has a lake.  Plus a house owned by my brother, just sayin’.

I certainly don’t need any excuses to travel to Lake Tahoe. I don’t spend nearly enough time in the Sierras.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

11 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Rowing has to be one of the least competitive sports to be part of Olympics. Europeans might not like it but yeah it should be cut down to just 4 or 5 events per gender.  Surely over 100 non Olympic sports exist which have a more competitive field than rowing. 

you already tried this game with swimming (and you were shown how you were wrong)...:finger:

retry, you'll be luckier :p

5 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Think I read somewhere that the course for LA2028 is only going to be 1500m 

because they want to use the iconic Long Beach Marina and not the place that was chosen when they presented their bid

if IOC and World rowing were serious institutions, they would have recalled the arrogant LA organizers to stay with the original plan 

same for the Slalom Canoeing Center in Oklahoma City rather than in the LA area

1 hour ago, Grassmarket said:

why travelling so far?

they have a couple of suitable lakes close to the big town, one is Lake Casitas (used for the 1984 Olympics), the other (sorry, I don't remember the exact name right now without searching for it) was the place named for the 2028 Olympics in the candidature file

they have just to stop whining and build a small athletes' village there and have the regatta in a proper location

9 minutes ago, phelps said:

they have a couple of suitable lakes close to the big town, one is Lake Casitas (used for the 1984 Olympics), the other (sorry, I don't remember the exact name right now without searching for it) was the place named for the 2028 Olympics in the candidature file

they have just to stop whining and build a small athletes' village there and have the regatta in a proper location

Castaic Lake isn’t really ideal. It’s just a dam, and it got pretty low during the bad drought years. I believe it has recovered much water volume with the unusually wet year we’ve had, but other concerns persist.

Lake Perris was the venue originally proposed. It was just far away from other venue clusters, not to mention that lake faces similar pressures when it comes to drought. It would also likely require residential facilities to be constructed.

Long Beach Marine Stadium relies mainly on seawater, and it already has a lot of the infrastructure needed (or at least room to build temporary facilities). It will be much closer in proximity to other venue clusters as well. The main downside to the venue is the shortened distance, along with the tidal fluctuations.

16 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Castaic Lake isn’t really ideal. It’s just a dam, and it got pretty low during the bad drought years. I believe it has recovered much water volume with the unusually wet year we’ve had, but other concerns persist.

Lake Perris was the venue originally proposed. It was just far away from other venue clusters, not to mention that lake faces similar pressures when it comes to drought. It would also likely require residential facilities to be constructed.

Long Beach Marine Stadium relies mainly on seawater, and it already has a lot of the infrastructure needed (or at least room to build temporary facilities). It will be much closer in proximity to other venue clusters as well. The main downside to the venue is the shortened distance, along with the tidal fluctuations.

which makes it absolutely not suitable for any rowing Olympic/World Regatta

I'm sorry, but you just can't completely change one of the oldest and most traditional sports of the Olympic program because you can't find a proper venue.

since we're not talking of a small town/low budget Olympics, if they just don't want to go on with Lakle Perris because of the possible drought issues, they have enough time to study a good plan to remove the current bridge that shortened the original basin in Long Beach and rebuild it half a mile further (or in the same place just after the Games, asking locals to support the Games and be kind for a couple of years of heavy traffic problems)

the sport of Rowing deserves a 2000m regatta course, no matters how

Edited by phelps

It’s also fine if Rowing is out of the way (just like I don’t have any issues with slalom being in Oklahoma). The Olympics is a TV event first and foremost, there is value to having dense venues but a few venues in far flung places is really no big deal.