website statistics

Rowing WR World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

2 hours ago, phelps said:

if it's like the last 2 Olympics, it's gonna be 7 boats (in both genders)

5 from the world champs and 2 from the OQ regatta in Lucerne next year

Well that ain't much at all, but at least enough to fill a competitive-looking final :p 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

52 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Well that ain't much at all, but at least enough to fill a competitive-looking final :p 

Eights is by far the least diverse Olympic event on the program. Like would any event that struggles to field double digit entrants ever be considered for the Olympics?

With that said, the Eights is one of the events I look forward to the most so it will be a very sad day when the IOC finally axes the event.

It just takes a lot of bodies to field entries across the whole program. Rowing is probably one of the least quota friendly sports. 

I don’t see a need to change much, but these events are becoming starved for entries at the Olympic level.

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

35 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Eights is by far the least diverse Olympic event on the program. Like would any event that struggles to field double digit entrants ever be considered for the Olympics?

With that said, the Eights is one of the events I look forward to the most so it will be a very sad day when the IOC finally axes the event.

Yeah, I do like it as well, but it feels so insanely obscure when it's even hard to simply fill a normal-sized final.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

The lightweight events were brought in to broaden the diversity, but they're getting rid of them.

Without being facetious, as long as countries like the US and GB are around, there'll always be a place for the "iconic" eights

2 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

And the Eights come from mainly English Speaking countries..Canada,US,GB,NZ and Aus. Add Germany, Romania and Netherlands and thats pretty much it. If they are the Blue Riband of rowing then why are so few countries competing? 

Ahead of the action getting underway, for anyone who is interested, I've (hopefully) attached a tracker of each crew's performances across the 3 World Cups and this year's European Championships - there are probably other regattas that I could/should include, but in the end it comes down to time.

Given the vagaries of the sport, there's not a lot of value in including a "season's best" time so it includes all of the crews times across the heats, repechage, semis and finals. 

Any crew highlighted in blue is taking part in the World Championships. Underneath the World Champs crews, I've also listed the other crews that have been fielded over the course of the year as there has been a lot of experimenting with crew composition this year. Not all of the different 4s and 8s have been listed if only 1 member of the crew has been swapped out. 

Rowing Performance Tracker.xlsx

1 hour ago, Oldira said:

If they are the Blue Riband of rowing then why are so few countries competing? 

'Cause it's difficult to find 8 high-value athletes to put in (just) one boat; this is a good indicator of a country's depth in rowing.

:ITA ITALY :ITA

Women

• Single Sculls: Clara Guerra
  • Pairs: Alice Codato / Aisha Rocek*
  • Double Sculls: Stefania Buttignon / Silvia Crosio (they're both LW :yikes: :facepalm:)
  • Fours: - (NOT participating)
  • Quadruple Sculls: Valentina Iseppi / Alessandra Montesano / Laura Meriano / Stefania Gobbi
  • Eights: Giorgia Pelacchi / Linda De Filippis / Alice Gnatta / Aisha Rocek / Alice Codato / Silvia Terrazzi / Elisa Mondelli / Veronica Bumbaca
  • LW Double Sculls: Valentina Rodini / Federica Cesarini

* Doublin'up in Pairs and Eights

Men

• Single Sculls: Davide Mumolo
  • Pairs: Davide Comini / Giovanni Codato
  • Double Sculls: Luca Rambaldi / Matteo Sartori
  • Fours: Paolo Covini / Alessandro Bonamoneta / Davide Verità / Alfonso Scalzone
  • Quadruple Sculls: Nicolò Carucci / Andrea Panizza / Luca Chiumento / Giacomo Gentili
  • Eights: Matteo Dalla Valle / Emanuele Gaetani Liseo / Salvatore Monfrecola / Giovanni Abagnale / Gennaro Di Mauro / Simone Venier / Vincenzo Abbagnale / Leonardo Pietra Caprina
  • LW Double Sculls: Stefano Oppo / Gabriel Soares