website statistics

European Games 2019

uk12points

1 hour ago, dcro said:

Belarus being second in the medal table is laughable.

I wonder if that is the future of multi-sport events. Sadly, it's becoming rather common.

Reveal hidden contents

Unfortunately "a successful Games (or Championships)" must include the host's success too.

I remembered after Euro 2008 and 2012 our media created the slogan "UEFA Euro: Hosted by Losers" :p

The only event that was added to boost Belarus' medals was sambo, though I guess they liked acrobatic and aerobic gymnastics being added too. Even if you removed those events, the nation is still in an easy second place. Not their fault other nations only competed with their B teams.

30 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

The only event that was added to boost Belarus' medals was sambo, though I guess they liked acrobatic and aerobic gymnastics being added too. Even if you removed those events, the nation is still in an easy second place. Not their fault other nations only competed with their B teams.

That’s it, really. BLR have treated it as an Olympics rehearsal, no one else has. 

35 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I see what's the point of your comment (acrobatic gymnastics), but I guess no one expected Belarus to win two gold medals in this disciplube. Also, amusingly, Belarus has never won an international medal in aerobic gymnastics in any event (at least that I know of). 

The hosts always do good, because  they have to fight for the nations pride. Doesn't matter if the rest are treating it as a C event.

Don't know about many of the combat sports, but in gymnastics BLR had the host bump in numerous situations. When it comes to the European Games, the hosts seems liked are subscriped for second place, after Russia, so Poland should be on the look out in 4 years.;)

Edited by Federer91