website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2020

32 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

What about an elimination race style team event. Team with the lowest score after each leg eliminated. 
Leg 1 - 7 teams start, 6 teams advance

Leg 2 - 6 teams start, 5 teams advance

Leg 3 - 5 teams start, 4 teams advance

Leg 4 - 4 teams start, 3 teams advance

Leg 5 - 3 teams start and compete for the medals.

Oh this is excellent.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I have good ideas from time to time :p

If that’s the format we go with, should points reset after each leg, or should points carry over from leg to leg (think ISSF final format)?

I am all for startinng each leg from scratch (like in track cycling elimination race).

#banbestmen

Vic Liu: "Famous Songs or Singers May Have Some Advantage"

Wd9W5NL.png

Vic Liu has taken TISC by storm. First participation brought an instant podium finish - the first one for any Asian nation. Consistency on the TISC stage, however, is a hard task for any given nation, so we are anxious to find out whether the Chinese run of success will continue...

Q: How do you go about evaluating TISC entries? Do you use a specific system when picking out your Top 12?

A: I am usually evaluating entries by melody and beat because usually, I don't understand the lyrics and it's hard to sense the emotion in it. I don't have a system, but I will give a score to each entry based on my own taste. For entires with similar scores, I will hear them a second or third time. 

Q: And what about the maximum 12 points? Can you recognize it immediately? Or do you take a certain amount of time before deciding on it?

A: For the maximum 12, it must be a song I like very much at first listening. So it's not a problem for me, I know it's my favorite at the first time. But if there is some famous song or singer on the list, he or she may have some advantage in my voting.

Q: Do you have a favorite music genre? Is there any genre you would like to hear more of on the TISC stage?

A: I don't have a specific favorite genre. But usually, I prefer fast-melody with strong/clear beating songs if I don't understand the lyrics and emotions behind. So Rock&Roll, EDM, Pop songs may have some advantage. 

Q: How important are lyrics to you?

A: If it's not English or Chinese, then it's not very important to me. 

Q: And finally... How can we get 12 points from Vic Liu?

A: A song that hits me at first listening. Maybe because it's melody, beat or some other surprises.

If Vic Liu's musical preferences still feel like a jigsaw puzzle - maybe this will help. The Chinese juror has outlined the following entry as favorite during his TISC debut...

Spoiler

Stay tuned for more user interviews to come, as we count down to TOISC 2020...

#banbestmen

A message from :ATA Antarctica

KOPERTA 8x16 CM DO ZAPROSZEŃ ZAPROSZENIA 10 SZTUK 5083917195 - Allegro.pl

From some time our cute friends from the coldest continent have been quite silent, but today they finally gave some sign of life, below is message which I found today in letter box:

"We know that in last months we were silent, the reason was nothing else but Covid-19 pandemic. Luckily we don't have any single confirmed case but any air vehicles couldn't landed here because of our mother decision to keep this place as the one of the last safe in the world. In recent days, as TOISC Grand Final is approaching one brave member of our family decided to travel to Ushuaia and send letter to Totallympics community with wishes of good luck in the upcoming edition of the competition and hopes that in near future WINTERFEST will be held again and then we could be invited as official participant in TISC. May the best song win!

Of course we want wish everyone all the best, stay safe and healthy in these difficult times."

Teen Debauchery — Why do penguins always look like they're doing the...

Does anyone else always get cringy when reading about what's supposed to be the culinary 'traditions' in their country? :p 

For example, I am reading this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_cuisine#Structure_of_meals

And basically all of it is just bullshit :lol: 

Dutch people invite friends over for koffietijd (coffee time), which consists of coffee and cake or a biscuit, served between 10:00 and 11:00 am (before lunch), 

I've never heard this being called 'koffietijd' and there really isn't a set timeframe, it just depends on whenever you'd like it. I'd take a morning snack early if I had a very early breakfast, or late (or not at all) if I had a late breakfast. It really depends on the situation and person.

Between 5:00 pm and 9:00 pm it is time for an alcoholic beverage (borrel), beer or wine, and a savory snack.

Wrong :lol: 

Even on weekends most people consider 17:00 way too early for that and these kind of things usually only start later in the evening (like 21:00), although a 'borrel' is definitely not beer or wine, a 'borrel' is a small shot of generally a strong liquor (think 40% or higher). Also, nobody calls it 'borreltijd'.

The old-fashioned Dutch dinner consists of one simple course: potatoes, meat and vegetables—known under the acronym "AVG" (aardappelen, vlees, groente)

While the 'potatoes, vegetables and meat' thing isn't entirely untrue (although personally I only eat my meat after the rest, which one could see as a second course), I have never in my life heard of 'AVG' :lol: I've lived here for all of my 30 years and never have I ever heard anyone say "we'll eat AVG tonight :)". The only meaning of AVG in the Netherlands is either antivirus software or the Dutch translation of the GDPR.

----

We really don't have much of a 'tradition', we eat as much - if not more - things like pasta and rice than potatoes, it really just depends on what one likes.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

43 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Does anyone else always get cringy when reading about what's supposed to be the culinary 'traditions' in their country? :p 

For example, I am reading this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_cuisine#Structure_of_meals

And basically all of it is just bullshit :lol: 

I've never heard this being called 'koffietijd' and there really isn't a set timeframe, it just depends on whenever you'd like it. I'd take a morning snack early if I had a very early breakfast, or late (or not at all) if I had a late breakfast. It really depends on the situation and person.

Wrong :lol: 

Even on weekends most people consider 17:00 way too early for that and these kind of things usually only start later in the evening (like 21:00), although a 'borrel' is definitely not beer or wine, a 'borrel' is a small shot of generally a strong liquor (think 40% or higher). Also, nobody calls it 'borreltijd'.

While the 'potatoes, vegetables and meat' thing isn't entirely untrue (although personally I only eat my meat after the rest, which one could see as a second course), I have never in my life heard of 'AVG' :lol: I've lived here for all of my 30 years and never have I ever heard anyone say "we'll eat AVG tonight :)". The only meaning of AVG in the Netherlands is either antivirus software or the Dutch translation of the GDPR.

----

We really don't have much of a 'tradition', we eat as much - if not more - things like pasta and rice than potatoes, it really just depends on what one likes.

Not entirely sure what do they mean with that but my personal experience during this 4 years is that after work many times we would go for some beers and bitterbollen and snacks, for quite some hours (a very much appreciated dutch habit haha :d)

9 minutes ago, kungshamra71 said:

Not entirely sure what do they mean with that but my personal experience during this 4 years is that after work many times we would go for some beers and bitterbollen and snacks, for quite some hours (a very much appreciated dutch habit haha :d)

Right, but I wonder if that's so different than other places :p I mean, driving around certain places in Brazil there were people sitting around drinking beer every moment of the day :p 

I'm fairly happy I didn't grow up in a family where drinking (alcohol) all throughout the day/week was considered normal :d 

6 minutes ago, kungshamra71 said:

But since we're in a food topic, and given the location of this year's TISC, maybe it's the right moment to share this very interesting video about Dutch food! :d

I saw sprouts and quickly clicked away. Disgusting. Yuck.