website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2020

15 minutes ago, hckosice said:

beans with potatoes :facepalm:

Green beans are actually a really popular side for steaks and such and steaks usually go with a potato side and green vegetables (green beans, asparagus, brussel sprouts etc.), unless you're doing it a bit more asian style with some soy marinate, then you might serve rice instead.

Griff88: "It is Up to My Ears"

y3DCqUK.png

Indonesia suffered from a severe case of "debutantitis". New (or returning) TISC nations have a tendency of achieving outstanding results on their debut (or comeback), only to find themselves nowhere near such heights on contests that follow. Such was the case with Indoesia. 6th place on their debut was followed by 20th, 14th, 26th, 36th, 32nd, 28th and 29th. Finally, earlier this year, Indonesia broke the spell and returned to Top 10 aboard Modern Love...

Q: How do you go about evaluating TISC entries? Do you use a specific system when picking out your Top 12?

A: I usually create a preliminary round, where I listen to each song for around 120 seconds. I mark the songs that either did not "click" on my ears or just not my taste. Usually, 5-7 songs eliminated in this method. After that, I'll just listen again and again to the remaining songs (this time in full) and give them a score from 0-100. Usually, the songs that will get points need 70 points or more.

Q: And what about the maximum 12 points? Can you recognize it immediately? Or do you take a certain amount of time before deciding on it?

A: I usually can easily identify the song that gets the 12 points. Even at closer contests where I can't quickly decide the 12 pointers, there were only max 3 songs in contention for 12 points. Deciding the lower points is actually tougher.

Q: Do you have a favorite music genre? Is there any genre you would like to hear more of on the TISC stage?

A: I can't really say a certain genre is my favorite, which leads me to not having certain expectation on what genre I am looking forward to in TISC... I just like the songs that "click" on my ears, it can be a ballad from the mid-70s or newest pop songs. As long as it is not a screaming punk rock/heavy metal songs, I think there might be a chance I like that song haha.

Q: How important are lyrics to you?

A: Meanings of the lyric or the lyric itself are not part of my scoring, although the catchiness from the lyrics might contribute in the point giving. It is always nice to hear different languages. In fact, none of my top 5 songs from TISC are in English!

Q: And finally... How can we get 12 points from Griff88?

A: First, make sure it is composed for humans (i.e. the singer is not screaming like mad). Then, make sure the tempo is not super slow or super fast. And the rest is up to my ears...

If Griff88's musical preferences still feel like a jigsaw puzzle - maybe this will help. The Indonesian juror has outlined the following entries as favorites during the most recent editions...

Spoiler

Stay tuned for more user interviews to come, as we count down to TOISC 2020...

#banbestmen