website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2020

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Right, but I wonder if that's so different than other places :p I mean, driving around certain places in Brazil there were people sitting around drinking beer every moment of the day :p 

I'm fairly happy I didn't grow up in a family where drinking (alcohol) all throughout the day/week was considered normal :d 

Maybe on Friday's sometime after work. And after work is never at 17h, or 18h, or anything bearable. I really love the work-live balance here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Does anyone else always get cringy when reading about what's supposed to be the culinary 'traditions' in their country? :p 

For example, I am reading this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_cuisine#Structure_of_meals

And basically all of it is just bullshit :lol: 

I've never heard this being called 'koffietijd' and there really isn't a set timeframe, it just depends on whenever you'd like it. I'd take a morning snack early if I had a very early breakfast, or late (or not at all) if I had a late breakfast. It really depends on the situation and person.

Wrong :lol: 

Expand  

Yep! People often associated with Ireland with corned beef and cabbage, and as someone who had a traditional rural upbringing on a farm and had basic family dinners, this is just plain wrong. No Irish family is having corned beef and cabbage! Certainly not now and not even in the past when food was less varied. Boiled cabbage perhaps but corned beef? 

Instead it’s the Irish Americans who were perhaps eating that and they got it from the Jewish community.

That's probably because the Dutch have undeveloped cuisine culture (Ireland too, according to my friend, they don't have a national dish).

These parts of Europe do have their special cuisine. No, we don't have a strict eating schedule or whatever, but there are some dishes largely associated with certain ocassions, and so on. :p

#banbestmen

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Does anyone else always get cringy when reading about what's supposed to be the culinary 'traditions' in their country? :p 

Frankly everyone in Mexico is mad as Texas, as they leave the country just to make their own subpar version of Mexican food (jk I love Fajitas and TexMex nachos)

Worse even are American cooking show hosts naking “Pozole“, which really manage to offend the whole country

Spoiler

Spoiler

Or this Argentinian woman making a total ass of herself, teaching how (you never) make a tortilla

Spoiler

But in a big country like mine, as each region has its own local dishes and variations of the ones that are more “national”.

We even have a Mexico City v. everyone else in which they stubbornly refuse to accept a “Quesadilla” must have cheese in it, otherwise it would be a taco.

1 hour ago, OlympicIRL said:

Yep! People often associated with Ireland with corned beef and cabbage, and as someone who had a traditional rural upbringing on a farm and had basic family dinners, this is just plain wrong. No Irish family is having corned beef and cabbage! Certainly not now and not even in the past when food was less varied. Boiled cabbage perhaps but corned beef? 

Instead it’s the Irish Americans who were perhaps eating that and they got it from the Jewish community.

Fun fact: I grew up pronouncing 'corned beef' as 'corNET beef', with the 'net' as in 'internet' and emphasis on that part. I think I was easily 20 years old when I realized my parents - and so me as well - had been doing that wrong forever.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, dcro said:

That's probably because the Dutch have undeveloped cuisine culture (Ireland too, according to my friend, they don't have a national dish).

These parts of Europe do have their special cuisine. No, we don't have a strict eating schedule or whatever, but there are some dishes largely associated with certain ocassions, and so on. :p

We have certain snacks or something associated with certain ocassions, but no whole dishes :p 

I mean, it's not like one can say "At Christmas, the Dutch eat this or that". At Christmas people generally tend to have a special and large meal with all kinds of different things, but what that is exactly really just depends on what one wants, in my family it's usually something different every year :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, mrv86 said:

Any poor vegetable you actually like?

Although I’m relieved corn is not the only victim here.

Beans (the long green ones), carrots, red cabbage, sauerkraut (never got why there's a German word in English for this), spinach are some examples of vegetables I can stomach together with potatoes (often mashed together, which I actually do think is a fairly Dutch/rural Dutch thing to do :d).

I've always found carrots to be weird. I really like them when they're uncooked, but when they are cooked the taste changes so much, meh.

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Beans (the long green ones), carrots, red cabbage, sauerkraut (never got why there's a German word in English for this), spinach are some examples of vegetables I can stomach together with potatoes (often mashed together, which I actually do think is a fairly Dutch/rural Dutch thing to do :d).

I've always found carrots to be weird. I really like them when they're uncooked, but when they are cooked the taste changes so much, meh.

Ah, so you only hate corn, bell-peppers, brusselsprouts, cabbages that are not red, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, bok choy, asparagus, every lettuce in existence, beets, pumpkins, the beans that are not green and long, cucumbers, squash, eggplants, leeks, zuccini, every onion colour that there is, parsnips, radishes, chilli peppers and kale.

That sounds reasonable

8 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Ah, so you only hate corn, bell-peppers, brusselsprouts, cabbages that are not red, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, bok choy, asparagus, every lettuce in existence, beets, pumpkins, the beans that are not green and long, cucumbers, squash, eggplants, leeks, zuccini, every onion colour that there is, parsnips, radishes, chilli peppers and kale.

That sounds reasonable

:lol: 

Usually there are bell-peppers in the things we eat with pasta, that's fine. I am not entirely up-to-date on all the kinds of cabbages and kale and such, so I can't really comment on it. I do like what I see might be translated to endive, which I find rather disgusting when it's cooked, but delicious when it's raw and mixed with mashed potatoes and some pieces of cheese and bacon.

Never heard of bok choy. Cauliflower only slightly tastes less terrible than it smells, peas by themselves are worthless, but pea soup is fantastic. I like tomatoes and cucumbers, although especially the latter isn't something I'd use in a dish, I just eat them. Cooked onions: meh. Raw onions with certain things: excellent. 

I only mentioned green beans because those are the ones we generally eat with potatoes, but I really do like brown beans (just not with potatoes). In fact, one of my favourite dishes has brown beans as a major ingredient for the 'sauce' that goes with the rice. I also like rice with black beans, but those are very hard to find here and I basically only eat them in Brazil.

Beets, mashed with potatoes, are acceptable as well. There's one thing I find alright with some (raw) pieces of onion.

There you go, I only mentioned things straight out of my mind that we generally eat with potatoes, but of course there's plenty of other ways in which I do eat plenty of vegetables :p