website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2020

Fly_like_a_don: "Unity in Diversity"

oSiYY5P.png

India has been represented by a myriad of different jurors. Fly_like_a_don has been the latest one to fill in the shoes.

Perhaps no other TISC nation has so many languages to choose from. From Bengali to Hindi and Tamil - India has used this fact to their advantage and has sent entries in a whole variety of regional languages. Even one instrumental...

Q: How do you go about evaluating TISC entries? Do you use a specific system when picking out your Top 12?

A: I do my first listen and usually eliminate 15-20 songs easily. In second listen it's about the positions, and few songs get removed from my list further. Sometimes it might take three listens too. The bottom five songs are listened to ensure no song has been unjustly removed (depends on time sometimes it's hard to have an extra listen to the bottom five).

In my first contest, I followed a grouping system0 choosing the best two in 5/6 songs or so. But then the group was based on order, and some good songs are located closeby, so had to listen to all again to decide top 12.

Q: And what about the maximum 12 points? Can you recognize it immediately? Or do you take a certain amount of time before deciding on it?

A: I was sure about the winners in last two editions the first 30s of listening to my 12 pointer song. There was a decent fight for the other positions. I take a few days off and listen to the top 12 again just to be sure. Some songs get going later, which is unlucky when even voting has ended. After the 3rd / 4th listen, there is a top 6. Playoffs for minor spots start 7-12. For top 6 there is another listen after which the gold medal contest, bronze medal contest and if required a 5th place playoff are decided. I take 2-4 days off and listen to the final day of action (medal matches and an optional 5th place playoff).

Q: Do you have a favorite music genre? Is there any genre you would like to hear more of on the TISC stage?

A: I love pop music, but it's not the only thing I love. I'd like to here an Irish and Dutch song and also more regional songs, folk songs etc. 

Q: How important are lyrics to you?

A: Not at all. The music and sound are enough to decide. But I prefer a brief description of the song in a sentence or two just to know the theme the song is based. The theme of the song is more important than lyrics unless it's in a familiar language. I'm not a fan of instrumentals since I believe even the ones with lyrics have a good one too, but it doesn't get the required attention while we listen to lyrics. So either the instrumental should be the best, or it's hard to get points from me. 

Q: And finally... How can we get 12 points from Fly_like_a_don?

A: Just send a catchy song with good music. There is something called a 'bonus' given to songs when they are based on a socially relevant theme / inspiring theme, and is used in case of a tie.

This isn't about a question but wanted to bring it to the notice. I feel the few, very very few jurors need to change their attitude towards the unfamiliar languages. It's hard to listen to unknown languages, I understand, but ignoring the song just because you don't know the language is awful. Sometimes the lyrics are written in English but may not be 'rhyming' since it's not written in English. If you are voting based on your familiarity of languages, your voting as an individual not as a nation. In India, for example, over 1500 languages are spoken, and we call it 'Unity in Diversity'. I was pleasantly surprised at China doing well at TAISC earlier this but I still think the very few of you guys should be more flexible in unfamiliar languages and try to listen to music and sound rather worry about what you understood! More open-minded voting by everyone will truly encourage more nations to send an entry in their regional language!!

If Fly_like_a_don's musical preferences still feel like a jigsaw puzzle - maybe this will help. The Indian juror has outlined the following entries as favorites during his two participations...

Spoiler

Stay tuned for more user interviews to come, as we count down to TOISC 2020...

#banbestmen

23 minutes ago, dcro said:

Perhaps no other TISC nation has so many languages to choose from. From Bengali to Hindi and Tamil - India has used this fact to their advantage and has sent entries in a whole variety of regional languages

And this time Mizo ;) 

amen09: "Local Languages Help Me Discover New Varieties of Music"

bsdBGhk.png

As of today, Tunisia remains the only African nation who have hosted TISC. And on top of that, they also proudly hold the best African result to date - Myrath's 4th place from the 2016 Annual. In other words, Tunisia quite simply dominates TISC within the African community. Even if Algeria is usually the loudest (when not barred).

Although tuniscof joins the festivities quite regularly, amen09 represents the permanent fixture behind the Tunisian success...

Q: How do you go about evaluating TISC entries? Do you use a specific system when picking out your Top 12?

A: I listen to all songs three times. I give songs between one star to five stars. Then I eliminate songs with one star. 

During the fourth and fifth listening, I give remaining songs a mark between 1 and 20. If two songs have the same score, I award songs with an exotic language an additional +0,5 points.

Q: And what about the maximum 12 points? Can you recognize it immediately? Or do you take a certain amount of time before deciding on it?

A: I need at least three listenings to determine the song which deserves the first place.

Q: Do you have a favorite music genre? Is there any genre you would like to hear more of on the TISC stage?

A: I'm a massive fan of rock, metal. My favourite bands include Nirvana, Scorpions, System of a Down.

I would like to listen to more songs in performed local languages, which help me to discover new varieties of music.

Q: How important are lyrics to you?

A: For me, the quality of voice is much important than the sensation of the singer, and then lyrics, and the last thing - video clip.

Q: And finally... How can we get 12 points from amen09?

A: I can't tell you how to get 12 points, but I can tell you how you will never get it - bad voice or lousy quality of voice.

If amen09's musical preferences still feel like a jigsaw puzzle - maybe this will help. Our resident Tunisian juror has outlined the following entries as favorites during the most recent editions...

Spoiler

Stay tuned for more user interviews to come, as we count down to TOISC 2020...

#banbestmen

2 hours ago, dcro said:

So either the instrumental should be the best

Maksim Mrvica says hello :cheer: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just realized there's only 12 minutes to go :yikes: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!