website statistics

Biathlon 2020 - 2021 Discussion Thread

Wumo

3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

I just wanted to point out the whole integrity part is just cherry pickings. I mean even UEFA banned ALL English teams from taking part in European Cups after the Heysel disaster. Hell, they showed more integrity than FIS and IOC ever did with Russia :p

As for Kuzmina, well, it's not like FIS can prevent Russians from changing nationality either :evil:

She switched in 2007 and according our laws immediatelly lost her Russian citizenship. she still live in Banská Bystrica with her family. Speak slovak and work for our NOC, apart competing for Russia until 2007 I really don´t get exactly the meaning of the remark: 

It's a shame Kuzmina has retired, I wonder what would they do with her?

30 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

The meaning is simple, IOC, FIS and VADA can't get out of their own way, they can punish Russia but they can't punish Russians. Everyone knows Kuzmina's story and I bet people in Slovakia consider her more Slovakian than the Fialkova sisters :p

Kinda the aim of the sanctions. Give the state consequences, but let the athletes compete.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

32 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Kinda the aim of the sanctions. Give the state consequences, but let the athletes compete.

Maria Lasitskiene would strongly disagree with your take :evil:  Unless the aim changed since 2016 which makes the whole integrity reasoning total BS.

Lots more clarification on Olga Podchufarova. 

"Slovenian coach Vladimir Korolkevich told why Podchufarova was refused.  In his opinion, the athlete was considered unworthy to enter the national team, although he himself finds this reason untenable. 'The issue was coordinated at the government level, as I wanted to get a strong athlete for the home world championship.  The request for citizenship received a negative response.  The official reason was the discrepancy between the level of wages and the minimum standard of Slovenia.  But I think this is not the main reason.  There are more significant points. Apparently, they thought that she was an athlete of the wrong level, although I believe that with such a leader, the women's national team of Slovenia could progress and grow,' Korolkevich told News.ru."

She is going to return to Russian and try to make that team.   Some consider her a traitor, but the RBU head, and Russian National team coach both said that she was welcome to try and make the team.  

Canada pulled all of their IBU Cup athletes home.  There is lots of speculation that a travel ban to Canada will be forthcoming.  No word if the WC athletes are going to be pulled home as well.

4 hours ago, rybak said:

Sad day for biathlon fans and @Werloc especially as Simon Schempp announced today his retirement :(

Well, I've been saying to my friend that this is definitely the final year for Simon after his performance in the World Cup this year.

I was honestly surprised that he held out for so long, it must've been difficult psychologically, because he was at the peak of his career and it all went downhill with illnesses and other problems.