website statistics

Biathlon 2020 - 2021 Discussion Thread

Wumo

If NA races were a fixture every season then IBU would have placed them at a fixed slot (late November/early December most likely). But since they are present like once every 4-5 years it's difficult to accomodate them that way.

Hochfilzen basically has to be a December venue due to Kitzbuehel downhill craze in January. January is reserved for back-to-back German venues, Ostersund has to be December since Are is usually a frequent FIS fixture in either January or February or maybe World Cup finals in March (hence why Ostersund in March is such a stretch). Kontiolahti is definitely the most flexible venue, it's cold enough there to host events in late November or mid March.

It is great to see some new locations on this list:

IBU Junior Cup

06 Feb - 12 Feb Haanja (EST)
13 Feb - 19 Feb JOECH Madona (LAT)
04 Mar - 12 Mar YJWCH Schuchinsk (KAZ)

IBU Junior Cup  23/24

15 Jan - 21 Jan Notschrei (GER)*
22 Jan – 28 Jan JOECH Jakuszyce (POL)

I think that the two stops in North America for the World Championships are a good idea, but the timing could be a challenge, or could be perfect.  Post World Championships, as most of you have mentioned, there will be some who choose not to attend.  This could be great for the Canadian and US biathletes.  They would have a better chance to do well with some of the big names out of the picture.

I often thought that a North American swing of the IBU Cup would work well.  Most Americans and Canadians do not know the difference between the WC and IBU Cup.  I see the two stops in Canmore next season.  You could have three events, Lake Placid (Host of World University Games in 2023), Presque Isle and Ft. Kent, Maine and no one would really care that there were not 50k fans at the event.

9 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

I'd rather say it's the lack of the appropriate homologation, but maybe the national propaganda says something else.

No politician in this country cares about biathlon, we wouldn't get the World Cup even if Civic Platform was in charge & Trzaskowski was the President either :dunno:

We're good enough to host European Champs but not good enough to beat Nove Mesto just for one World Cup date. With Russian venues out, this is the time to beat Riaubichi for the spot but sadly everyone only cares about ski jumping during the winter. Bobsleigh has more or less died and cross country hangs on because Justyna Kowalczyk decided to coach Monika Skinder by herself. I'm not even gonna talk about alpine skiing because the Nosal hill has been abandoned for like 25 years now?

4 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

cross country hangs on because Justyna Kowalczyk decided to coach Monika Skinder by herself.

Wake up, little Suzie, Skinder is an old news today. It's Iza Marcisz who got the gold today, try to be up to date, if you want to debate on... anything.

Just now, Vojthas said:

Wake up, little Suzie, Skinder is an old news today. It's Iza Marcisz who got the gold today, try to be up to date, if you want to debate on... anything.

Okay, I'm out. No point to talking to you whatsoever. I should have known better. My bad. :coffee:

On 11/02/2021 at 15:49, rybak said:

So, even after excellent European Championships, Duszniki Zdrój will not host any single World Cup stage until at least 2026, ridiculous....

I wonder if they even bid for one?  I thought the EOC was great.  Maybe they will get an IBU Cup stop in the seasons that have not been announced yet,  There is also the Minsk stop that might be removed as well.

On 11/02/2021 at 15:08, heywoodu said:

Lenzerheide though :cheer:

The upcoming races in Lenzerheide - 

Race calendar
11 to 18 December 2021               Winter Universiade Biathlon & Ski Orienteering
28 February to 6 March 2022       IBU Cup Biathlon
23 to 29 January 2023                   OPEN European Championships Biathlon
11 to 17 December 2023               BMW IBU World Cup Biathlon
10 to 23 February 2025                  IBU World Championships Biathlon

3 hours ago, RobtheAggie said:

I wonder if they even bid for one?  I thought the EOC was great.  Maybe they will get an IBU Cup stop in the seasons that have not been announced yet,  There is also the Minsk stop that might be removed as well.

They want to host the World Cup but apparently the venue is too small for WC purpose. Maybe if Jakuszyce get an upgrade but that's really pushing it. It seems like Duszniki is a solid B-license and that's their ceiling.

I had this thought, do Norwegian biathletes that are regulars on the World Cup ever retire without getting a single win or a podium? So I did some research

Lars Helge Birkeland has announced his retirement this year and he hasn't even been on the podium ever. 

Don't know if she was much of a regular, but Thekla Brun-Lie retired in 2019/20 season without getting on the podium either.

2017/18 season Hilde Fenne and Kaia Woen Nicolaisen retired with 8th place as their best result

Elise Ringen in 2015/16 season with best placement as 10th

Rune Brattsveen in 2013/14, had a relay gold from World Championships, but PB is 5th

And that's all I got from 2010/11 to 2020/21

So if you acually get on the Norwegian team, it's pretty likely that you'll be able to podium and even win.

Some of the recent Norwegian retirements included: Solemdal, Tora and Lars Berger, Flatland, Os, Svendsen, Bjoerndalen, Andresen, Fanny Horn Birkeland, L'Abee Lund.