website statistics

Track Cycling at the Cycling UCI World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

Your new generation in women's speed events might have been disappointing so far, but not really sure how you could have expected a medal here from them. At least Friedrich, Hinze and Gros should have been favored over all of them and the emergance of Finucane didn't help either. Keirin is unpredictable, so they maybe could have won a medal there, but i definitlely wouldn't say that they were among the favorites for a medal. Friedrich won the last two world championships and only won bronze here, so even for the (clearly) best rider in the world a medal isn't a given. In the women's sprint a dutch medal actually would have been a big shock in my opinion. The most astonishing thing for me is that the Netherlands never do anything in the team pursuit.

Not having a team pursuit is because of the rigid attitude of the teams of Hengeveld and De Zoete. They wanted to show their commitment to the pursuit with Van der Duin and Raaijmakers, but their employer of road racing didn't want that. So definitely no team pursuit for The Netherlands. That's not nice, because now Van der Duin has to ride the madison with Raaijmakers, who doesn't impress at all.

For sprinting you're right. There is quite a number better sprinters (the Germans, British, French and Canadian and Andrews), but still we expected a lot more from our riders. And yes, keirin is unpredictable, but the Rio 2016 and Tokyo 2020 champions were Dutch and especially Van der Wouw has the idea that she can continue that winning streak. She told so before this Championships, so I expected something more than this.

But hey, this was an amazing night for our endurance team. Never thought a gold was an option for Havik and Van Schip. So incredibly happy for those two, especially for Van Schip, who had serious struggles (kind of depression) for quite a while. It's a bummer for Vincent Hoppezak. He finished 5th at the omnium, but Netherlands only can enter two riders for the madison and omnium combined in the Olympics. And of course they don't leave the world champions madison at home.

59 minutes ago, phelps said:

wonderful, wonderful race!

that was a great show in a week with very few highlights, tbh

I liked the women's keirin final and Leitaos performance in the omnium (which was obviously pushed to the background because of the farce that was the points race that evening)

2 hours ago, hckošice said:

So, a paralympic cyclist without arms at the World Championships received a watch for winning ... but otherwise everything is ok in Glasgow

0e5c49aa-f4bd-434e-b65d-a69d35c79f13

But could you imagine the backlash had every other world champion been given a watch to celebrate and they didn't do the same for Ricardo Ten Argiles?