website statistics

Track Cycling at the Cycling UCI World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

22 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Other than that, it's just entirely different: a massive explosion of 10-20 seconds like in the individual sprint or keirin vs a bunch sprint on the road after several hours of riding. Road sprinters are still endurance athletes really.

Hence why I asked :d

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

Hence why I asked :d

Short answer :p

Straight sprint from a standing start and the finish line 200 meters away: probably a track sprinter destroys the road sprinter.

Straight sprint after a 200km ride: road sprinter destroys the track sprinter :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Short answer :p

Straight sprint from a standing start and the finish line 200 meters away: probably a track sprinter destroys the road sprinter.

Straight sprint after a 200km ride: road sprinter destroys the track sprinter :p 

A sprint with designated lanes over say…300-500 meters…might make an interesting spectacle.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Watching the keirin final, I was wondering…

Is there any consensus as to whether track sprinters are better in a straight sprint than road sprinters (or they are better/equal)?

Track sprinters & road sprinters are like comparing Usain Bolt with Mo Farah. Farah could run 9600m then sprint for 400m.  But Bolt was always the fastest. In the past 20 years I can think of only one guy - Theo Bos :NED - who had a career as a road sprinter after being a track sprinter.  Viviani & Cavendish always do endurance on the track.

34 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Road guy would win every time.  Track sprinters are 200m max, sometimes not even that.

Not exactly sure. Not sure a good road sprinter would do a kilometer from a standing start in under a minute :p 

With the massive advantage a track sprinter would gain in the first 100-300 meters and the extra speed a road sprinter would have later, the tipping point might be anywhere between 300 and 1000 meters, entirely depending on which two riders are involved. Taking the Dutch as example: Roy van den Berg would outsprint anyone for 100 meters, but definitely be caught within 500 meters :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

13 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Not exactly sure. Not sure a good road sprinter would do a kilometer from a standing start in under a minute :p 

With the massive advantage a track sprinter would gain in the first 100-300 meters and the extra speed a road sprinter would have later, the tipping point might be anywhere between 300 and 1000 meters, entirely depending on which two riders are involved. Taking the Dutch as example: Roy van den Berg would outsprint anyone for 100 meters, but definitely be caught within 500 meters :p 

Yeah. Road guys would not be able to even turn some of those insane gears in the kilo start.

I guess the stats obsessed can get a comparison from the old original 6 discipline Omnium when endurance riders had to do a 200m flying lap.

31 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Yeah. Road guys would not be able to even turn some of those insane gears in the kilo start.

I guess the stats obsessed can get a comparison from the old original 6 discipline Omnium when endurance riders had to do a 200m flying lap.

2012 and 2016, although the fields were so small there (18 riders, including the continental quota riders) it might not be a great comparison. In 2016 Viviani and Cavendish were 2nd and 3rd in the flying lap and Gaviria, oddly, only 10th. In the 1km time trial Viviani, Gaviria and Cavendish were 3rd, 4th and 6th. Then again, Cavendish and Viviani were 2nd and 3rd in the individual pursuit, so hard to compare :p 

But oh my, what a joy that true omnium was (other than Cavendish not only getting away with this shit, but the victim actually being punished if I'm not mistaken). Individual pursuit, flying laps....awesome, that was a track cycling allround event as it should be.

On 8/9/2023 at 7:22 AM, hckošice said:

So, a paralympic cyclist without arms at the World Championships received a watch for winning ... but otherwise everything is ok in Glasgow

0e5c49aa-f4bd-434e-b65d-a69d35c79f13

https://x.com/ricardoten_/status/1689914684239912960?s=46&t=eeNhSzi4Rylqjvpt-IBinQ