website statistics

Track Cycling at the Cycling UCI World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

Really good qualification for Lavreysen, but what happened with Hoogland? Okay, I already knew he was not in his best form, but a 19th place is less good than expected. Van Loon only 31st.

Looks like a quarterfinal between Lavreysen and Richardson/Yakovlev :yikes:

14 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Not sure why you keep acting as if France is anything special in team sprint. The Netherlands and Australia are in their own class and then there is a bunch of nations (mainly France, GB, Germany) competing for bronze. GB is the favorite for bronze at the moment. Germany was 0.1 seconds behind the 3rd fastest team tonight.

Not sure why you keep acting like I implied anything you mentionned. France was better than Germany last year (still is) and Germany made it through the semis because of a false start. That's the reason why they managed to place better last year while being slower. 

Stop projecting your own reflexions on everything somebody else is saying.

1 hour ago, SalamAkhi said:

Not sure why you keep acting like I implied anything you mentionned. France was better than Germany last year (still is) and Germany made it through the semis because of a false start. That's the reason why they managed to place better last year while being slower. 

Stop projecting your own reflexions on everything somebody else is saying.

1) The gap between France and Germany isn't remotely big enough for you to act as if France beating Germany was/would have been a no-brainer.

2) I said that the gap between Germany and the top teams got smaller, although they placed lower. Their time wasn't really relevant, only the gap to the top teams.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

3 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

1) The gap between France and Germany isn't remotely big enough for you to act as if France beating Germany was/would have been a no-brainer.

2) I said that the gap between Germany and the top teams got smaller, although they placed lower. Their time wasn't really relevant, only the gap to the top teams.

Who said it was a no-brainer ? Fact is, looking at the splits, without this FS and the French starter doing 150m all out France would have won this duel fair and square.

Concerning gaps Germany was actually further away from the best time outside of Australia/NL than last year. 

2022 : 42.95 vs 42.75 (GB first round)

2023 : 42.92 vs 42.58 (France bronze final)

18 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Men's Team Sprint Olympic Ranking after World Champs

image.png

So, Poland is once more first under line? How many events left to close ranking?

Or maybe France have a host nation quota?

Edited by rybak

1 minute ago, rybak said:

So, Poland is once more first under line? How many events left to close ranking?

Or maybe France have a host nation quota?

There are 4 more ranking events - 3 Nations Cups, of which each nation will count their top 2 results; and 1 Continental Championship. 

There are no host quotas in track cycling. 

2 hours ago, SalamAkhi said:

Who said it was a no-brainer ? Fact is, looking at the splits, without this FS and the French starter doing 150m all out France would have won this duel fair and square.

Concerning gaps Germany was actually further away from the best time outside of Australia/NL than last year. 

2022 : 42.95 vs 42.75 (GB first round)

2023 : 42.92 vs 42.58 (France bronze final)

Ok, obviously I'll need to make my point even clearer ...

Germany was closer to the top teams (Netherlands/Australia) than last year and obviously times from the finals don't count. Germany only had 2 rides, so obviously it wouldn't make sense to use times from rounds were Germany didn't even compete. You might say that maybe France didn't give their best in the 2nd round and that their time therefore didn't reflect their true strength, but obviously they would have had zero incentive to do so (since a better time in the 2nd round would have given them a chance to ride for gold, so it would make no sense to assume that they didn't given their best in the 2nd round). Not sure why you felt the need to use a completely different definition of "top teams" just to keep the discussion going ...

Whatever the reason was for France not making it into the bronze final last year doesn't matter for this discussion and of course neither of us knows what time they could/would/should have gone. Germany is closer to the top teams time wise than last year, although their ranking this year doesn't reflect it.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

36 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Ok, obviously I'll need to make my point even clearer ...

Germany was closer to the top teams (Netherlands/Australia) than last year and obviously times from the finals don't count. Germany only had 2 rides, so obviously it wouldn't make sense to use times from rounds were Germany didn't even compete. You might say that maybe France didn't give their best in the 2nd round and that their time therefore didn't reflect their true strength, but obviously they would have had zero incentive to do so (since a better time in the 2nd round would have given them a chance to ride for gold, so it would make no sense to assume that they didn't given their best in the 2nd round). Not sure why you felt the need to use a completely different definition of "top teams" just to keep the discussion going ...

Whatever the reason was for France not making it into the bronze final last year doesn't matter for this discussion and of course neither of us knows what time they could/would/should have gone. Germany is closer to the top teams time wise than last year, although their ranking this year doesn't reflect it.

Given the relative strengths of the teams, Germany had to bring their A-game to the second round to have a chance to ride for bronze. I don’t see them delivering a faster time in a third ride. NL and AUS did not need to post their fastest time in the second round. If based on the times in the second round you want to believe that Germany is closer to the two top teams, no one can stop you.

Edited by Noorderling29