Other Multi-Sport Games Discussion Thread

Totallympics

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/26/2023 at 9:58 PM, vinipereira said:

Barranquilla confirmed as the 2027 Pan American Games host.

Colombia has failed to pay the first installment to ODEPA. Strong rumors of withdrawal already.  

Some say Paraguay has interest in hosting but I think that's very unrealistic. 

Wow, quite a few multi-sports games without hosts heading into the next cycle. Hopefully we’ll see a lot of news on that front this year. 

It does seem like there’s interest from a few nations in hosting the Pan American Games at least. I still think LA should take it as a test event, but that’s just a selfish and unrealistic desire to have them in my backyard essentially :p (Plus, I wouldn’t wish anymore strain on my local communities anyway.)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I already said this, PAG won't last long. There's just not enough interest to justify the investment. I see a future with only SAG and CACG standing on this side of the world or maybe PAG survives with some form of multiple country hosting.

I think this will go to Sao Paulo. Read some mentioning Miami since pan am sports is there.

I think is impossible for São Paulo to build a Olympic Village in less than 4 years.

The plan is to bid for the 2031 Panamerican, make a great event and bid again for the 2040 Olympic Games.

Edited by LuizGuilherme

Paraguay seems very keen here. A country with the 10th of the GDP of Colombia seems like a disaster waiting to happen, especially since the 2025 junior pan ams are going there. It's either going to be them or Lima (they seem very keen and host a lot of events) or Santiago b2b.

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

Paraguay seems very keen here. A country with the 10th of the GDP of Colombia seems like a disaster waiting to happen, especially since the 2025 junior pan ams are going there. It's either going to be them or Lima (they seem very keen and host a lot of events) or Santiago b2b.

Agree. Paraguay is a no go for the "senior" Panam Games.

It's either return to Lima or Miami, if they gather local support. 

I'd love to have them back in Guadalajara, most of the venues remain in place, the exception being the athletics stadium (although they could use temporal stands in the small venue they had for last year's Gay Games) and the athletes village (but with the local governments being in a vertical rise bonanza, it could be solved with one or two urbanizations).

3 hours ago, LDOG said:

I already said this, PAG won't last long. There's just not enough interest to justify the investment. I see a future with only SAG and CACG standing on this side of the world or maybe PAG survives with some form of multiple country hosting.

I think this will go to Sao Paulo. Read some mentioning Miami since pan am sports is there.

The main problem, as with the Olympics, is the demand for large, new state of the art venues, plus the costs of building an athletes village, that could only realistically building a main one, with smaller "satellite" village as part of urban renovation/public housing proyects.

Other than that, I think that regional projects could work better, with 2 or 3 main cities in the same country hosting the events.

3 hours ago, mrv86 said:

The main problem, as with the Olympics, is the demand for large, new state of the art venues, plus the costs of building an athletes village, that could only realistically building a main one, with smaller "satellite" village as part of urban renovation/public housing proyects.

Other than that, I think that regional projects could work better, with 2 or 3 main cities in the same country hosting the events.

Yeah they can take examples from SEA Games hosts (where the participation is around 5k-6k athletes) starting to use regional hosting rather than focusing everything in one city/metropolitan area. Philippines (2019) and Vietnam (2021) spread the sports in 5 to 6 provinces. Using readily available hotel rooms instead of building a centralized athletes village is also already a norm in the Games.