website statistics

Athletics at the European Championships 2022

Totallympics

9 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

I've seen at least four different versions of Stefanidi's first name - Ekaterini, Katerina, Aikaterini and one I forgot already :wacko:

In Greek "ai" together make the "e" sound. So in Greek we spell it Aikaterini but pronounce it Ekaterini. However, everyone with that name uses Katerina informally. It's one of the most common female names and you'll never hear someone being called "Ekaterini" except in a formal/legal setting.

For example at the last Olympics we had "Ekaterini Stefanidi" in pole vault and "Aikaterini Divari" in sailing :d

Stefanidi always went by "Ekaterini" and only recently I've seen her name listed as "Aikaterini." It seems each sport is different. We've had a bunch of rowers all always have their names listed as "Aikaterini" (Nikolaidou, Gkogkou, Zerva etc).

Another name where we see this is Despina/Despoina. On our Fed Cup team one year we had Despina Papamichail and Despoina Vogasari. Same name but "oi" together makes the "i" sound. So Despina is the correct pronunciation but we spell it Despoina in Greek.

And don't get me started with Ioannis vs Giannis or Georgios vs Giorgos :lol:

Is it confirmed that Vuleta is retiring? I thought she was retiring after the World Indoors in Belgrade but she's still around obviously.

It would be a big loss for Serbia as they don't have many top athletes in athletics, although Topic and Vilagos are big hopes for them.

3 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

In Greek "ai" together make the "e" sound. So in Greek we spell it Aikaterini but pronounce it Ekaterini. However, everyone with that name uses Katerina informally. It's one of the most common female names and you'll never hear someone being called "Ekaterini" except in a formal/legal setting.

For example at the last Olympics we had "Ekaterini Stefanidi" in pole vault and "Aikaterini Divari" in sailing :d

Stefanidi always went by "Ekaterini" and only recently I've seen her name listed as "Aikaterini." It seems each sport is different. We've had a bunch of rowers all always have their names listed as "Aikaterini" (Nikolaidou, Gkogkou, Zerva etc).

Another name where we see this is Despina/Despoina. On our Fed Cup team one year we had Despina Papamichail and Despoina Vogasari. Same name but "oi" together makes the "i" sound. So Despina is the correct pronunciation but we spell it Despoina in Greek.

I am guessing you get different transliterations in different western languages.  So Чехов can be Chekhov, Tchekoff, Tsjekov etc etc.

1 minute ago, Grassmarket said:

I am guessing you get different transliterations in different western languages.  So Чехов can be Chekhov, Tchekoff, Tsjekov etc etc.

Also sometimes we see Russians as Sofia, Sofya, Sofiya, or Anastasia, Anastasiya etc