website statistics

Athletics at the European Championships 2022

Totallympics

3 hours ago, phelps said:

p.s. the correct traslitteration in western letters of the name of the Greek race walker is "Drisbioti"...;)

That is correct, and she always used to be known as "Drisbioti" until last year she started being called "Ntrismpioti" :facepalm:

I'm not sure why this happens, but sometimes it bothers me how our names are transliterated. Ntouskos is another one that should be "Douskos," and Ntountounaki should be "Doudounaki."

Anyways, an amazing result for Antigoni who gets her second gold after winning in 35km, both at 38 yo! And this time she did it with a PB, only 5 seconds off from the NR. She is really incredible :bowdown:

@maestroI quoted our runners who said why the Czechs were DQ. I checked the official results and Czechs were DQ based on Rule 24.8 which is an illegal crossover change which means impeding another team. Lane infridgements are in the section 17, not 24.

Section 24 is for relays & baton exchanges.

24.1-24.3 - technical rules for realys (distance, changeover zone lenght etc.)

24.4 - lane running on first leg

24.5 - baton parameters

24.6 - no gloves rule / permission to leave the lane if baton is dropped

24.7 - passing baton in changeover zone / DQ for passing outside of the zone (more common in 4x100)

24.8 - baton change in lane / not impeding another team

24.9 - DQ for picking up another team's baton if dropped

24.10 - one athlete runs one leg

24.19 - DQ for starting to run outside of the zone before baton is exchanged (usually results in 24.7 breach anyway).

24.8 rule reads:

24.8 Until the moment when the baton is in the hand of only the receiving athlete, Rule
17.3 of the Technical Rules shall be applicable only to the incoming athlete.
Thereafter it shall be applicable only to the receiving athlete.
Additionally, athletes before receiving and/or after handing over the baton, should
keep in their lanes or maintain position until the course is clear to avoid obstruction to
other athletes. Rules 17.3 and 17.4 of the Technical Rules shall not apply to these
athletes. If, however, an athlete impedes a member of another team, including by
running out of position or lane, Rule 17.2 of the Technical Rules shall be applied.

Rule 17.2 is for jostling/obstruction and/or causing another competitor to fall - not applied here since neither of the Poles actually fell.

PS. Yes, I am bored to have checked the rulebook :p

19 yo Elina Tzengko was one of just two javelin throwers to make the qualifying standard for the final, and she has the leading throw in 2022 from all competitors here. Her results are not very consistent but I really hope she can get a medal here.

Frantzeskakis finishing 6th in the men's hammer with a new PB was very good. He keeps improving year after year and he is still only 22 yo. I'm sure he will be in big finals for many years, he was also 9th in Eugene last month.

Karalis not making the men's pole vault final was disappointing but not surprising. He really had a terrible year and my expectations were high again for him after he finished 4th in Tokyo.

I'm glad Gusin made the high jump final after she just missed out in Eugene. Not expecting a medal of course.

Karydi is really horrible this year, her SB is the lowest since 2018 yet somehow she finished 9th here. It shows how weak the women's triple jump is. This was also the first year she competed in the World Championships and European Championships at the senior level. Hopefully next year she can get back on track.

Gnafaki finishing the 400 hurdles semifinals with another PB. Really good for her after her PB from 2016 stood until 2020 (she made it 58.17), then in 2021 she got to 57.00, now in 2022 down to 56.14. If she can continue this progress for just one of the next two years, she'll make it to Paris via ranking for sure.

Papadopoulou 12th in 20km walk with a SB, can't complain.

Anastasiou making semis in 200m close to her PB was good, it's too bad she ran slower in SF but the conditions were unfavourable.

Men's 4x100 were close to the final, finishing 10th. We have a lot of good young male sprinters so hopefully next time we do better.

Very disappointing 13th in the women's 4x100. Originally I thought we could make the final, then with Michailidou replacing Emmanouilidou it seemed unlikely but I still thought we would do better.

14th place for our women's 4x400. It was expected. If we had Vasiliou instead of Politi, I think we would've finished 12th or so. Our women's relay teams can never show their full potential, always at least one of them is injured and we don't have good replacements.

3 hours ago, Monzanator said:

@maestroI quoted our runners who said why the Czechs were DQ. I checked the official results and Czechs were DQ based on Rule 24.8 which is an illegal crossover change which means impeding another team. Lane infridgements are in the section 17, not 24.

Section 24 is for relays & baton exchanges.

24.1-24.3 - technical rules for realys (distance, changeover zone lenght etc.)

24.4 - lane running on first leg

24.5 - baton parameters

24.6 - no gloves rule / permission to leave the lane if baton is dropped

24.7 - passing baton in changeover zone / DQ for passing outside of the zone (more common in 4x100)

24.8 - baton change in lane / not impeding another team

24.9 - DQ for picking up another team's baton if dropped

24.10 - one athlete runs one leg

24.19 - DQ for starting to run outside of the zone before baton is exchanged (usually results in 24.7 breach anyway).

24.8 rule reads:

24.8 Until the moment when the baton is in the hand of only the receiving athlete, Rule
17.3 of the Technical Rules shall be applicable only to the incoming athlete.
Thereafter it shall be applicable only to the receiving athlete.
Additionally, athletes before receiving and/or after handing over the baton, should
keep in their lanes or maintain position until the course is clear to avoid obstruction to
other athletes. Rules 17.3 and 17.4 of the Technical Rules shall not apply to these
athletes. If, however, an athlete impedes a member of another team, including by
running out of position or lane, Rule 17.2 of the Technical Rules shall be applied.

Rule 17.2 is for jostling/obstruction and/or causing another competitor to fall - not applied here since neither of the Poles actually fell.

PS. Yes, I am bored to have checked the rulebook :p

I wrote that before, because here when commentators realised the Czechs were DQ'd they showed a video of Jichova getting the baton and then running on the lane line for some meters. But if the athletes said otherwise, then they are probably right.

11 minutes ago, maestro said:

I wrote that before, because here when commentators realised the Czechs were DQ'd they showed a video of Jichova getting the baton and then running on the lane line for some meters. But if the athletes said otherwise, then they are probably right.

You can’t trust Commentators to be right, they don’t know the rules either.  :d  World Athletics are a lot better at issuing explanations now (except in walking)