website statistics

Alpine Skiing at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

3 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

We all know how the second run will end: Gold for Sweden/Slovenia (not sure about the other medalist, maybe Austria, but certainly not Germany)

I am not sure whether i prefer Dürr crashing or just being too slow for a medal ...

Luckily i didn't watch the race, but now i can say that i would have preferred Dürr to miss a gate. Leading at the last intermediate and then not winning any medal ... this has to break you. I would be shocked if she wouldn't end her career after this season. At least Germany already has a replacement in Emma Aicher (who probably should have finished top 10 today if she wouldn't have become too cautious half way through the second run). Vlhova certainly was the most deserving champion, but i still would have liked to see her without a medal.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Quite impressive from Slokar to finish 5th in last Olympics and World Championships. But it still feels like she’s not completely there yet, due to her more average World Cup results. But wow, being +0.22 behind and only getting 5th must feel bad. Duerr as well as she lost it in the last 5 seconds. I wonder if she would have gotten a medal if she wasn’t 1st after the 1st run.

Kind of crazy that Shiffrin has "only" one olympic medal in slalom so far and it came at her first olympics when she was still 18 ...

Based on her world cup dominance she should (have) end(ed) her career with at least 3 golds in slalom. Kind of reminds me of Viktoria Rebensburg (although she obviously never was this dominant) who won her only olympic gold in giant slalom at her first olympics. At this point you probably wouldn't even bet on Shiffrin winning a medal in 2026. Would be kind of crazy if Shiffrin would end her career with less olympic slalom medals than Wendy Holdener.

Edit: The gaps today were really "interesting". Between Nullmeyer in 22nd and Della Mea in 30th there were 2.57 seconds and between Vlhova in 1st and Nullmeyer in 22nd there were "only" 2.98 seconds.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Only 27 starters for the men's alpine combined tomorrow. A third (9 skiers) are from non-traditional skiing nations (Israel, Liechtenstein, Ireland, Ukraine, China, Chile, Monaco, Kosovo). Could see some surprise results and unexpected nations scoring top 10s - Israel's Szollos was even seeded in 10th and will start bib 1!

I was originally in favour of keeping the combined but I think it might have run its course, based on this. Think it'll be gone by 2026, although I wish it wouldn't be replaced by parallel...

5 minutes ago, hmc16 said:

Only 27 starters for the men's alpine combined tomorrow. A third (9 skiers) are from non-traditional skiing nations (Israel, Liechtenstein, Ireland, Ukraine, China, Chile, Monaco, Kosovo). Could see some surprise results and unexpected nations scoring top 10s - Israel's Szollos was even seeded in 10th and will start bib 1!

I was originally in favour of keeping the combined but I think it might have run its course, based on this. Think it'll be gone by 2026, although I wish it wouldn't be replaced by parallel...

Surely Liechtenstein are a traditional country? 

1 hour ago, Susannah said:

I hope that Shiffrin can recover from these two DNF.  Her quotes are not encouraging.  She is doubting herself now.

Per the Washington Post, her mother is saying she may not race in the super-G because of concerns for her safety.