website statistics

Taekwondo Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

8 minutes ago, Pasolini said:

Have you guys noticed who's missing? @MHSN?

two so-called "refugee" athletes qualified in Taekwondo before and none of them are here. Kimia Alizadeh found herself a buyer finally and since her name is not here I assume the IOC illegally let her transfer her quota to Bulgaria

but I wonder why former Afghan Alireza Abbasi is not in this list. :mumble:

4 minutes ago, MHSN said:

two so-called "refugee" athletes qualified in Taekwondo before and none of them are here. Kimia Alizadeh found herself a buyer finally and since her name is not here I assume the IOC illegally let her transfer her quota to Bulgaria

would he have represented Afghanistan?

3 minutes ago, MHSN said:

I have no idea on the Kimia Alizadeh story. But as a refugee, I guess for her it's a good thing that she managed to get a citizenship, passport, etc. If many athletes can change nationalities, I don't see the fuzz to question her ties with Bulgaria.

But yeah... regarding Alireza I think there are 3 options:

- either he will compete with another country (which?)

- or Yahya Al Ghotany will grab his quota at 68kg (as the quota is for the NOC)

-or the bronze medallist from Asian Qualifier will get his quota

32 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

would he have represented Afghanistan?

that's not entirely impossible. he was representing Afghanistan 5-6 months ago, he switched to refugee team when he couldn't make the Afghan team (they had two much better guys in two other weights)

but in the WT ranking, he is still listed as RTA (refugee team)

39 minutes ago, Pasolini said:

I have no idea on the Kimia Alizadeh story. But as a refugee, I guess for her it's a good thing that she managed to get a citizenship, passport, etc. If many athletes can change nationalities, I don't see the fuzz to question her ties with Bulgaria.

But yeah... regarding Alireza I think there are 3 options:

- either he will compete with another country (which?)

- or Yahya Al Ghotany will grab his quota at 68kg (as the quota is for the NOC)

-or the bronze medallist from Asian Qualifier will get his quota

Everyone who has followed her story knows she is not a refugee, none of them are. They just use this opportunity to either get a free ticket to the Olympics or in her case get some money. I'm not going to bore everybody with details. that doesn't matter anyway. she won the quota herself so at least she technically deserves it.

Bulgaria had two female athletes at the Euro qualifier and failed to qualify, (one of them was very close though) this looks like giving them a 3rd chance which is against the rules. if they wanted to "hire" her, they had to do it before the qualifiers. 

as for Abbasi, he is a refugee in Iran (not from Iran) and he is not really good. he was about to lose his semifinal but he landed one heavy kick and won the match by RSC. (which was pure luck IMO) I seriously doubt any country is interested in his service. but maybe I'm wrong. I follow some websites covering Afghan sport news, (we share the same language) never heard about him going back to represent AFG but that's a possible scenario. 

or maybe King Tommy and his goons just didn't want his name in their lovely list for pure political reasons. I think he will go Paris anyway, we will find out soon under which flag.

5 hours ago, MHSN said:

Everyone who has followed her story knows she is not a refugee, none of them are. They just use this opportunity to either get a free ticket to the Olympics or in her case get some money. I'm not going to bore everybody with details. that doesn't matter anyway. she won the quota herself so at least she technically deserves it.

Bulgaria had two female athletes at the Euro qualifier and failed to qualify, (one of them was very close though) this looks like giving them a 3rd chance which is against the rules. if they wanted to "hire" her, they had to do it before the qualifiers. 

as for Abbasi, he is a refugee in Iran (not from Iran) and he is not really good. he was about to lose his semifinal but he landed one heavy kick and won the match by RSC. (which was pure luck IMO) I seriously doubt any country is interested in his service. but maybe I'm wrong. I follow some websites covering Afghan sport news, (we share the same language) never heard about him going back to represent AFG but that's a possible scenario. 

or maybe King Tommy and his goons just didn't want his name in their lovely list for pure political reasons. I think he will go Paris anyway, we will find out soon under which flag.

Well, so is he really a refugee? From what I've read here he went to RTF simply because he was not selected to the Afghan team. 

11 minutes ago, Pasolini said:

Well, so is he really a refugee? From what I've read here he went to RTF simply because he was not selected to the Afghan team. 

it depends on your definition of refugee

there are something like ~4 millions Afghans living in Iran and he is one of them. most probably even born here. so technically yes he is a refugee, he lives in another country (with no intention of moving back to AFG) but he has an Afghan passport and represented Afghanistan internationally until few months ago.

the situation changes in Afghanistan month by month, one day he can say OK I want to represent my homeland, another day he can say oh no I'm still a refugee.

23 minutes ago, MHSN said:

it depends on your definition of refugee

there are something like ~4 millions Afghans living in Iran and he is one of them. most probably even born here. so technically yes he is a refugee, he lives in another country (with no intention of moving back to AFG) but he has an Afghan passport and represented Afghanistan internationally until few months ago.

the situation changes in Afghanistan month by month, one day he can say OK I want to represent my homeland, another day he can say oh no I'm still a refugee.

I get it. To me, the idea of the EOR is to take athletes that have no more connection with their country of passport.

In Brazil we have many athletes that live abroad for many years/decades but still represent Brazil. Some changed countries (to Portugal, Lebanon, etc) and now for the first time we had someone applying to be refugee (2 girls on weighlifting). many people don't take them seriously but we never know what happened to them, so who knows.

Obviously some athletes might try to profit from that, but for me it's the same as someone changing nationality and it's not a real issue.

But, I truly believes that IOC runs a check with UN to see if all are considered refugees officially.