website statistics

Taekwondo Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

2 minutes ago, prso1000 said:

I don’t know if it existed in 2020. I only recall that in 2020 one Oceania quota was reallocated. 

the 4 min participants it’s additionally defined as the 4 need to fight and pass the weight in etc, registering is not enough 

Now that's a new addition it wasn't there in 2020. Back then 3 athletes got free quotas being the only athlete in that category. In 49kg the only athlete failed weigh in. In 3 other categories there were 2 athletes. 

Edited by Fly_like_a_don

2 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Now that's a new addition it wasn't there in 2020. Back then 3 athletes got free quotas being the only athlete in that category. In 49kg the only athlete failed weigh in. In 3 other categories there were 2 athletes. 

I guess that is exactly why the rule was introduced. 

44 minutes ago, Josh said:

Unfortunate, but I believe that’ll mean :TGA:GUM:PNG will have more of a chance at a quota now? :mumble:

Edit: I completely forgot about the max four weight-classes, and Australia can’t qualify in all of them so 1-2 of them should secure a quota.

Apparently this should have made things interesting.

:AUS will be in -58, -80kg in M

In W +67 for sure. Between -49 and -57 it's close. The Canadian GP was used as trials and Saffron in -49 did better but by ranking Stacy is better.

I won't be surprised if all small nations participate in -68 and +80 in Men. For women -67 for sure. But still I don't know if there will be 4 athletes in each 

I have a question : 

Lets assume Oceania will not get quota in the Men 68kg because only 3 athletes show up for continental qualification. The quota will be reallocated. 

next in the Olympic ranking from January is Korea, but they have already two quotas via ranking. Would it be still given to Korea or the next NOC (Croatia 😉)? 
my expectation is Korea, but not 100% sure 

15 minutes ago, prso1000 said:

I have a question : 

Lets assume Oceania will not get quota in the Men 68kg because only 3 athletes show up for continental qualification. The quota will be reallocated. 

next in the Olympic ranking from January is Korea, but they have already two quotas via ranking. Would it be still given to Korea or the next NOC (Croatia 😉)? 
my expectation is Korea, but not 100% sure 

That's a loophole as it's not very clear. It could be interpreted either way.

If China got a female ranking quota via reallocation (of the Grand Slam one) despite already having two qualified by ranking, then for Korea it should be the same since the wording of the reallocation part is the same.

19 minutes ago, Faramir said:

If China got a female ranking quota via reallocation (of the Grand Slam one) despite already having two qualified by ranking, then for Korea it should be the same since the wording of the reallocation part is the same.

I don’t think it is the same situation, as here it is a continental quota being reallocated. Via World ranking and GS you can win 4 quotas. via Continental max. 2.  Nevertheless i would expect Korea to get it. 

There's a good chance all or almost all of the events at the Oceania qualifier will be reallocated, especially with New Zealand not contributing. At the Pacific Games, they barely had enough competitors and that's without the athlete limitation.

Even at a best case scenario, the following nations competed at the Pacific Games:

:AUS:FIJ:GUM:KIR:PNG:SAM:SOL:TGA 

On paper all of the events could be eligible if the nations work together. In reality, the Pacific nations will probably want to avoid Australia as much as possible so we could have a situation where Australia's chosen events are not eligible while the other events are full of Pacific nations. That's probably the opposite of what World Taekwondo wanted. As mentioned before, it's not difficult to figure out 3/4 events Australia will choose (unless they decide to play mind games and participate in weaker events so that they can qualify).

If I read the Qualification document correctly, :GBR could not enter anyone into the European Qualification Tournament, because they managed to get two Men (and two Women) through the Ranking process - I understand and get that.  AIN (aka Russia) only qualified 1 Man through the Ranking/Grand Slam (Larin), so could enter athletes into the Tournament, and as a result have successfully qualified another two Men (and two Women).   So they end up with 3 Men qualified????   :mumble: