website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

1 hour ago, Suneet said:

Guys, I've been thinking that it would be a lot of fun if we could watch the Olympics together, at least people living in the same cities. What do you guys think? :)

I'm a resident of Mumbai, @People in Mumbai: do you know of any place where there is a projector-screen arrangement which we could rent out for the duration of the Olympics? :bounce:

Zouk Bar & Grill in Andheri (E) arranges for football match screenings. If there are good no. of people, you could get in touch with them and ask for the same.

I wish I was there. Would have loved to join. Cheers!

3 hours ago, Vaibhav (minchu) said:

Rarely and after ages, Indian federations have started giving much required importance to discipline in sports! Otherwise it has always been a 'chalta hai' approach. Let's appreciate the change and take pride in this systematic approach.

Talking about class act, Australia took no time in ruling out likes of Nick Kyrgios and their OLYMPIC CHAMPION Michael Diamond on disciplinary grounds. Just how it sets a right precedence for other / future athletes. Hence, omission of both Gurbaz and Rani is a welcome for me.

With the high handedness which Hockey India president Batra has shown in the past, we never know if it was real indiscipline or was it one man's opinion ( it was based on report by Jude Felix). Sardara also has a serious charges levelled against him but he has been pardoned.

I appreciate that they have brought importance to the discipline but that does not mean that all their selections are perfect and should not be criticised.

The likes of Akashdeep , Daneesh and Uthappa cannot trap the ball properly. There is better talent available in India.

Edited by sameerph

1 hour ago, Suneet said:

Guys, I've been thinking that it would be a lot of fun if we could watch the Olympics together, at least people living in the same cities. What do you guys think? :)

I'm a resident of Mumbai, @People in Mumbai: do you know of any place where there is a projector-screen arrangement which we could rent out for the duration of the Olympics? :bounce:

Unfortunately in Hyderabad .....would have loved to be there 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

I just saw the release of the names for athletics released by the AFI 

It shows 6 names not including nirmala and Anas or tintu for each of the relays ......................so our number may go up by 2 , but manish rawat has been selected for the 20 km walk but not the 50 km walk so we may have a reduction of 1 person in the walks and an increase of 3 in the relays  ...so we may end up with 122 and not 120 ..........

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

2 hours ago, Vaibhav (minchu) said:

Zouk Bar & Grill in Andheri (E) arranges for football match screenings. If there are good no. of people, you could get in touch with them and ask for the same.

I wish I was there. Would have loved to join. Cheers!

Thanks Vaibhav for the suggestion. I had talked with Zouk regarding the euros but they ask for a minimum guarantee of 50 people which seems difficult to manage. I know of a private terrace in Versova but that may turn out to be expensive as well :mumble: Have put in a word though :fingers:

2 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

Unfortunately in Hyderabad .....would have loved to be there 

You could plan something in Hyderabad! If there are 10-15 people, it would be worth the effort! :d

17 hours ago, LDOG said:

I personally think making a goalkeeper the captain at the olympics is a mistake, here's why:

During the last friendly tournament in Valencia in match vs Argentina an indian player was shown a yellow card, but the umpires seemed to have problems communicating it (it was really strange match for them) and indian players didn't understood well who was being shown the card and as a result none of them went out of the pitch. 2 or so minutes later the umpires realized that the player was still in the pitch, told him to go out and also showed another yellow to the captain of the team (captain takes responsability for these situations).

Sreejesh didn't play that day, Sardar did and was captain. Now imagine if this happens in Rio while India (like all other teams) decided to take only one goalkeeper...

Even I have mixed feeling about it. Most likely, HI decided to unburden Sardar from captaincy to allow him more freedom and gave captaincy to long time VC, Sreejesh. I doubt they gave any importance to this incident. Honestly, I think if in Olympics, communication between players and referees would be better and such a situation would not arise. 

3 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

It shows 6 names not including nirmala and Anas or tintu for each of the relays ......................so our number may go up by 2 , but manish rawat has been selected for the 20 km walk but not the 50 km walk so we may have a reduction of 1 person in the walks and an increase of 3 in the relays  ...so we may end up with 122 and not 120 ..........

Can you please share the link to the release. I think Nirmala and Anas have to be included in relay teams. We can exclude Tintu from relay team at present and then substitute her for one of the other athletes at the time of races but don't see any logic behind doing so (except increasing strength of the squad by 1). 

3 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

Nitin not sure the Rio athletics squad has been announced, it's just the update on the WIKI, that changes everyday, I don't see the squad in AFI site.

@Dolby @Sanjib

This is the site which I think is run by rohan and is normally quite reliable 

https://www.facebook.com/indrio16/

@rohan sharma could you share where the source of the posting was