website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

53 minutes ago, rohan sharma said:

this is very good move ..as he is experience and do very well in chmpion trophy ..so it is a good decision ..as far as sardar ..he is also experience and also a good captain but last tournament dont go in his favour and he can play without captncy pressure...so hockey india did not want to take a risk ...they can also choose talvinder and mandeep who was top scorer of champion trophy ..but due to sardar and other they were also excluded ...so great move by hockey india..as this team is same as team predicted by espn ..sportskidda etc..this team look very balance and can do very well in olympic

Gurbaz Singh should have been in the team. He is a class act as right in and will be missed. Hockey India seems to have picked on him on some disciplinary grounds and his career seems to be over. Other than that Dharamveer, Lalit Upadhay, Affan Yousseff and Mohd. Amir Khan are a few talented players. A couple of them with Gurbaz ahead of Akashdeep, Uthappa and Daneesh would have made a stronger side.

Anyway, we have to go with whatever is picked now. All the best to the side.

I personally think making a goalkeeper the captain at the olympics is a mistake, here's why:

During the last friendly tournament in Valencia in match vs Argentina an indian player was shown a yellow card, but the umpires seemed to have problems communicating it (it was really strange match for them) and indian players didn't understood well who was being shown the card and as a result none of them went out of the pitch. 2 or so minutes later the umpires realized that the player was still in the pitch, told him to go out and also showed another yellow to the captain of the team (captain takes responsability for these situations).

Sreejesh didn't play that day, Sardar did and was captain. Now imagine if this happens in Rio while India (like all other teams) decided to take only one goalkeeper...

Looking at the awesome 120 achieved by India ...I have been so ithrilled......but yeh dil mange more ..... I then did a best case analysis in my mind looking at who missed closely and if all the close ones had come thru what could have been the number ( Very best case scenario :mumble:)

Atheletics ................... we could have had  17 more atheletes best case ( they missed by a very small amount )  ....possibly given some more support and possibly more training time  we could have had ...2 more javelin throwers in men( neeraj and rajinder)  , 1 more in women javelin( annu ), 110mh (sidhanth)  , Womens discus(krishna) , 400mh for men( jithin )  , 4*100 women ( 3 more ) , 5000m mens( lakshman )  , shotput men (Tejinder and Om) , 50km walk ( Basanth ) , womens long (Neena dn prajusha) , womens triple (Mayookha) , mens 100 ( malick) 

Shooting - These shooters missed by whisker - 8 more at the asian qualifer as well as at some of world cups - Om Prakash , Vijay kumar , ankur and asab, manavjit ( n which case sanjeev would have gone ) , elizabeth koshy , shagun and akhil sheoran, angad bajwa  

Boxing - 4 more - ..........Laishram , neeraj and sumit sangwan - all lost very narrowly and mary kom lost narrowly  the asian qualifier 

Archery - twice the mens team lost by shoot off - we could have had 2 more 

Badminton - Kashyap was unlucky due to injury or we would have most likely one more mens player - 1 more

weight lifting - with the current womens team doing the rounds twice ( we had a very weak 2014 ) had we done a little better we could have a team of 3 womens weightlifters - 2 more 

Gymnastics - Patra would have scored just a f point more  he would have made the rio test event and possibly we could have a second gymnast at rio ( he was first reserve ) - 1more 

Wrestling - staywart kadian in the 86 free in asian qualifer was one bout away , so was anita sheoran in 63 women and ravinder khatri in the 66 greco - 3 more 

.......... so that would have been 38 more atheletes for rio .......I am sure I am missing 1-2 more ? ........ and wow what a strong side we would have had ....I feel if we have had stronger support ( we had good support towards the end ) for a longer time .............. Our numbers could have easily touched 160 .............. Unbelievable but true ..................by the way that would bring us close to being a top 15 nation in terms of quota seats .......just a little more support / better NOCs / aligned private support and we would have been there :mumble:

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

2 hours ago, sanjaydas said:

Just came to know that Ritu Rani was removed from the squad for attending her engagement!!!

Marriage, engagements, honeymoons can wait for a couple of months, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

9 hours ago, LDOG said:

I personally think making a goalkeeper the captain at the olympics is a mistake, here's why:

During the last friendly tournament in Valencia in match vs Argentina an indian player was shown a yellow card, but the umpires seemed to have problems communicating it (it was really strange match for them) and indian players didn't understood well who was being shown the card and as a result none of them went out of the pitch. 2 or so minutes later the umpires realized that the player was still in the pitch, told him to go out and also showed another yellow to the captain of the team (captain takes responsability for these situations).

Sreejesh didn't play that day, Sardar did and was captain. Now imagine if this happens in Rio while India (like all other teams) decided to take only one goalkeeper...

Important point, the rule is clear, if a team at any time is found with 12 players on the field, the captain gets a yellow card(5 mins), it is going to be a disaster if that happens with Sreejesh.

19 hours ago, sameerph said:

Gurbaz Singh should have been in the team. He is a class act as right in and will be missed. Hockey India seems to have picked on him on some disciplinary grounds and his career seems to be over. Other than that Dharamveer, Lalit Upadhay, Affan Yousseff and Mohd. Amir Khan are a few talented players. A couple of them with Gurbaz ahead of Akashdeep, Uthappa and Daneesh would have made a stronger side.

Anyway, we have to go with whatever is picked now. All the best to the side.

Rarely and after ages, Indian federations have started giving much required importance to discipline in sports! Otherwise it has always been a 'chalta hai' approach. Let's appreciate the change and take pride in this systematic approach.

Talking about class act, Australia took no time in ruling out likes of Nick Kyrgios and their OLYMPIC CHAMPION Michael Diamond on disciplinary grounds. Just how it sets a right precedence for other / future athletes. Hence, omission of both Gurbaz and Rani is a welcome for me.

Guys, I've been thinking that it would be a lot of fun if we could watch the Olympics together, at least people living in the same cities. What do you guys think? :)

I'm a resident of Mumbai, @People in Mumbai: do you know of any place where there is a projector-screen arrangement which we could rent out for the duration of the Olympics? :bounce: