website statistics

GB Athletics

Great news from the Brits coming through. I'm not sure what is amiss with Richardson but thats another 200m where she is clearly out of form and clocking around the 23 mark. Daryl looked great for a 22.6 clocking, hopefully there is more to come.

Initial signs are looking great for the two women's sprint relays in Paris.

Looks like O'Dowda has pulled out of the heptathlon in Brescia as she hasn't lined up for the 200m. Probably a wise decision given the results from the first three events meant it was unlikely that she was going to hit the targets she had set herself. 

Hopefully she will line up in Gotzis next month. 

2 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Gives her the OQS - wonder if she will want to double up in Paris.  

At her age, I would imagine so - she's not a realistic medal prospect, so why not see what she can gain from the experience?

she is a HELL of a find, though. And with Innes Fitzgerald possibly coming through over the next few years, that's very encouraging.

2 hours ago, RussB said:

Great news from the Brits coming through. I'm not sure what is amiss with Richardson but thats another 200m where she is clearly out of form and clocking around the 23 mark. Daryl looked great for a 22.6 clocking, hopefully there is more to come.

Initial signs are looking great for the two women's sprint relays in Paris.

Dina's 22.2 is absolutely motoring, looks like she may be coming back to something like her peak form. Daryll's 22.6 in such a major race is almost as exciting, and hugely reassuring.  Hopefully Anning hangs on to some of her fabulous form; none of the GB 400 women are necessarily medal threats (unlike, say Adeleke, who is a genuine outside bolter), but the depth for relay purposes looks absolutely fantastic - not least in any mixed relay which may have a better GBR shout than the men's - Hudson Smith/Dobson or Haydock Wilson/Lavaia or Ama Pipi/Amber looks a really exciting group on paper.

7 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

At her age, I would imagine so - she's not a realistic medal prospect, so why not see what she can gain from the experience?

she is a HELL of a find, though. And with Innes Fitzgerald possibly coming through over the next few years, that's very encouraging.

On the other hand, it's possible that she's still a young athlete who doesn't necessarily know yet how far to push herself, at least in terms of competing at the very highest level (and especially in the 5000m at a champs, where she has heats and a final to deal with).

She might be better off concentrating on one event this time to see quite how far she can go, rather than spreading herself across both. Save trying that for something like the European Champs in 26, when the level of competition might be slightly less taxing.

Or I might be talking rubbish.

On the subject of the mixed 4x4 - I believe that the schedule has the final of that the night before the men's individual 400m starts. So I'm not 100% sure that MHS would risk doing both with that short of a turnaround. Hope I'm wrong, but I think it is more likely that we get a team (assuming we qualify next week!) on the men's side from those who haven't qualified in the individual.

Unless we get multiple individual qualifications, in which case, tough luck for them for being more talented than I was expecting. :d

15 hours ago, Epic Failure said:

On the subject of the mixed 4x4 - I believe that the schedule has the final of that the night before the men's individual 400m starts. So I'm not 100% sure that MHS would risk doing both with that short of a turnaround. Hope I'm wrong, but I think it is more likely that we get a team (assuming we qualify next week!) on the men's side from those who haven't qualified in the individual.

Unless we get multiple individual qualifications, in which case, tough luck for them for being more talented than I was expecting. :d

The selection criteria appears to out the Mixed relay above Men’s relay and individuals. So MHS might be told to focus on the mixed relay and downgrade his hopes for the individual.

20 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

The selection criteria appears to out the Mixed relay above Men’s relay and individuals. So MHS might be told to focus on the mixed relay and downgrade his hopes for the individual.

Yeah thats not happening.

23 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

That's not what the policy says.