website statistics

GB Athletics

Elite start lists for next month's London marathon have been published. I think this is likely to be the last chance for our athletes to get the Paris qualifying standard.

GB Men (Potential Contender for OQT):

Emile Cairess - 2:08:07: Already has the qualifying standard and not really clear why he wasn't selected in the 1st tranche of athletes. 

Callum Hawkins - 2:08:14: PB time dates back to 2019 and this will mark his return from a couple of seasons blighted by injury. 

Mahamed Mahamed - 2:08:40: Just missed the qualifying standard in Valencia in Dec '23 so if he is on form, should have good chance of getting the standard.

Weynay Ghebresilasie - 2:09:50: Set his PB in Berlin last year and will have to shave over a minute from his time if he is hoping for a ticket to Paris.

Others: 
Andrew Heyes - 2:13:52
Alexander Lepretre - 2:15:01
Norman Shreeve - 2:16:17
Alex Milne - 2:16:30
William Mycroft - 2:17:02
David Bishop - 2:17:06
Adam Bowden - 2:17:18
Kieran Walker - 2:17:30
Alexander Lawrence - 2:17:41
Daniel Hamilton - 2:17:59
Dominic Jones - 2:18:15
Fraser Stewart - 2:18:34
Tom Frith - 2:18:35
James Hoad - 2:18:38
Ryan Thomson - 2:18:46
Charlie Sandison - 2:19:22
Paulos Surafel
Jacob Allen 
Kieran Clements 
Marc Scott 

GB Women - GB already have multiple athletes with the qualifying standard so none of the big names are on the start list are we're unlikely to have anyone getting the OQT.

Becky Briggs - 2:29:04
Alice Wright - 2:29:08
Anya Culling - 2:34:45
Rachel Hodgkinson - 2:34:46
Helen Gaunt - 2:35:38
Mhairi Maclennan
Lucy Reid

Very surprised Johnny Mellor isn't on there, maybe he's chancing his hand at the other EU ones. In terms of who'll get the OQT via London Marathon, I reckon Ghebresesilasie might just sneak it. 

12 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Very surprised Johnny Mellor isn't on there, maybe he's chancing his hand at the other EU ones. In terms of who'll get the OQT via London Marathon, I reckon Ghebresesilasie might just sneak it. 

Mellor ran in Seville which was only 3 weeks ago so probably not enough recovery time for him to be able to compete. 

You could be right about Ghebresesilasie - the last time he ran London in 2022 he ran 2:11:57 so he took 2 minutes off his time when setting his PB in Berlin. If he's in good form, then we could see him going sub 2:08.  

With the indoor season finished, it is time to focus attention on the outdoors and the athletes beginning to chase the OQT for Paris.

Next weekend (16-Mar), there is a big 10,000m event in USA - The Ten (imaginative title) - with a handful of Brits looking to hit the qualifying times. 

Provisional Entry List - Men:

Jack Rowe (2022 PB 28:20.31)

Patrick Dever (2023 PB 27:23.88)

Charlie Hicks (2022 PB 27:40.16 / 2023 SB 27:57.47)

Sam Atkin (2020 PB 27:26:58)

The OQT for 10,000m is 27:00.00 so at first glance it is not immediately obvious that any of the guys are going to be able to get close to it at this point in the season. That being said, they all set new PBs for 5,000m in Boston last month so they would seem to be in good form going into the race. Guess it will all come down to the pacemakers. 

Provisional Entry List - Women:

Jess Warner-Judd (2022 PB 30:35.93 / 2023 SB 31:09.28)

Megan Keith (Possibly first 10,000m on the track as there is no Po10 history for her in the event

Amy-Eloise Neale (2023 PB 31:17.81)

The OQT for Paris is 30:40.00 and we already have Eilish McColgan with the standard - indeed she set her time of 30:00.86 at this event last year. Currently both Keith and Warner-Judd are in qualifying positions by virtue of their world rankings (Keith's earned through her cross country results) but given the prevailing attitude within UK Athletics, if they want to go to Paris they are going to need to get the time.

If their cross country results are anything to go by, they have both wintered well - Warner-Judd improved her 10K PB by 28 seconds in January whilst Keith slashed her PB by 3 minutes.

2 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

No team at Rome apparently according to my source. 

If this is true, this is really frustrating, you'd think they would at least be able to send a team of development athletes, or even the ones that they don't think are good enough for the olympics despite having qualified.

45 minutes ago, TeamGB said:

If this is true, this is really frustrating, you'd think they would at least be able to send a team of development athletes, or even the ones that they don't think are good enough for the olympics despite having qualified.

I don’t they there is any money to spend on development athletes or taking those not worthy of the Olympics. 

1 hour ago, Orangehair43 said:

No team at Rome apparently according to my source. 

I have to give you credit... for the consistency of the utter drivel that you continue to post. 

The selection policy for UK athletics was published in January

EUROPEAN ATHLETICS CHAMPIONSHIPS ROME SELECTION POLICY ANNOUNCED – UK Athletics

Sure the team will be small - let's be honest it's a stupid idea to have a continental championship in the same year as the Olympics so for the vast majority of our top athletes, it's probably not going to be on their calendar but to suggest that no British athletes are going to apply to compete in Rome is simply you spouting yet more rubbish.

For the sake of everyone's sanity, can you please stop spamming the threads with this nonsense. 

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

I have to give you credit... for the consistency of the utter drivel that you continue to post. 

The selection policy for UK athletics was published in January

EUROPEAN ATHLETICS CHAMPIONSHIPS ROME SELECTION POLICY ANNOUNCED – UK Athletics

Sure the team will be small - let's be honest it's a stupid idea to have a continental championship in the same year as the Olympics so for the vast majority of our top athletes, it's probably not going to be on their calendar but to suggest that no British athletes are going to apply to compete in Rome is simply you spouting yet more rubbish.

For the sake of everyone's sanity, can you please stop spamming the threads with this nonsense. 

Well I’ve been told by someone who knows someone who could make that criteria but most likely not Paris that they have been told they might not be much of a team as finances are bad bad bad. 

Edited by Orangehair43