website statistics

GB Athletics

1 hour ago, mpjmcevoy said:

I must admit, I'm quite excited to see the interaction over the next few years of Megan Keith and Innes Fitzgerald. You get a certain chemistry when two big talents come through at once (Jackson-Jarrett/Coe-Ovett/Sanderson-Whitbread/McColgan-Murray)

I just hope that we are able to keep both of them in the sport. We seem to have quite a few young athletes that were touted as the next big name for British athletics only for them to struggle to make the breakthrough into the senior ranks, get injured and ultimately disappear without a trace. 

The domestic competition level is pretty tough across a fair few events now and it is pushing everyone involved to raise their game - just a shame that there doesn't seem to be much of a high-class domestic circuit for the public to be able to enjoy these match-ups. 

4 hours ago, Orangehair43 said:

Fitzgerald’z big problem is that unless she changes her mind on flying she won’t be at the majority of big champs. 

It may not be her opinion on flying that is the problem and may instead be parental influence.

Abbie Donnelly and Calum Johnson win Inter-Counties crowns - AW (athleticsweekly.com)

She's quoted in the Under-20 women's section as saying "My dad doesn't want me to fly" - whilst also apparently confirming that when she turns 18, she will be accepting places on travelling squads. 

Athletics weekly have a good write up on likely state of GB squad for Paris ahead of the outdoor season kicking off. Nice to see that they have avoided the temptation of predicting golds for the likes of Caudery, Kerr and Hodgkinson this early in the season - will be interesting to see if they develop this further as we get closer to the Games.

Paris 2024 podium predictions - AW (athleticsweekly.com)

3 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Athletics weekly have a good write up on likely state of GB squad for Paris ahead of the outdoor season kicking off. Nice to see that they have avoided the temptation of predicting golds for the likes of Caudery, Kerr and Hodgkinson this early in the season - will be interesting to see if they develop this further as we get closer to the Games.

Paris 2024 podium predictions - AW (athleticsweekly.com)

The BBC will remind viewers during every event where a GB atheltes was rejected the chance to compete. 

I honestly think by 2028/2032 will see the ability for a NOC to reject a world ranking quota be at least partially curtailed.  

Also shocking that Men’s 10000m, Mens 400m Hurdles, Men’s High Jump, Men’s Long Jump and others will have no representation.

Sfotr Lincoln might be the only non track/Road Male in the team. 

Edited by Orangehair43

No Olympic champions in Athletics is really not a good look for a nation with the resources of GB. The historic weakness across all of the field events is something that has been failed to be addressed and we are almost entirely dependent on our middle distances runners.

UK Athletics will be keeping everything crossed someone steps up massively in the summer to give the squad at least one golden moment. Molly being the one that could generate most publicity.

13 minutes ago, RussB said:

No Olympic champions in Athletics is really not a good look for a nation with the resources of GB. The historic weakness across all of the field events is something that has been failed to be addressed and we are almost entirely dependent on our middle distances runners.

UK Athletics will be keeping everything crossed someone steps up massively in the summer to give the squad at least one golden moment. Molly being the one that could generate most publicity.

Caudrey winning gold would certainly propel her as the face of GB Athletics but I think the most satisfying and perhaps higher profile win would be for either Kerr or Wightman to beat Ingebrigtsen in the 1500m given he has shown that he is such a bad loser :d

1 hour ago, Orangehair43 said:

The BBC will remind viewers during every event where a GB atheltes was rejected the chance to compete. 

I honestly think by 2028/2032 will see the ability for a NOC to reject a world ranking quota will be curtailed.

Neither the IOC nor the international federations can compel a National Olympic Committee to select an athlete and that will not change - no matter how many times you predict it. 

8 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Caudrey winning gold would certainly propel her as the face of GB Athletics but I think the most satisfying and perhaps higher profile win would be for either Kerr or Wightman to beat Ingebrigtsen in the 1500m given he has shown that he is such a bad loser :d

This would be the most satisfying I agree. I wonder what “illness” Jakob will claim this time if he gets beaten