website statistics

GB Athletics

52 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Caudrey winning gold would certainly propel her as the face of GB Athletics but I think the most satisfying and perhaps higher profile win would be for either Kerr or Wightman to beat Ingebrigtsen in the 1500m given he has shown that he is such a bad loser :d

I forsee a squad with an unusually high number of 'medal punts', but relatively few 'gold chances'. you're basically hoping one or two come right through the middle, and Caudrey must be a shout for that role. Hodgkinson is a fantastic talent, but it's a brutally tough era in that event. KJT will be watching the Euros - if Nafi stumbles, things get interesting, although Anna Hall seems to have the edge. And of course, it will be interesting to see if Jake and Josh and A.N. Other (the GBR number 3, given GB depth, will be no patsy - instinct says George Mill) can tagteam Jakob.

Laura's not gonna beat Faith Kipyegon, and truth be told, I think the decline has probably begun - she simply doesn't look the athlete she did 2 years ago. Likewise, Dina, who I just don't see reaching those heights again though she remains a key relay member - I think all the relays could be competitive, although the Men's 4 x 4 are probably the weakest.

There are 'punchers chances' in a number of events, especially the sprints with Zharnel, but you can't simply ignore 16 events in the field, plus anything longer than 5000, as UKA have done, and expect anything.

5 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

It may not be her opinion on flying that is the problem and may instead be parental influence.

Abbie Donnelly and Calum Johnson win Inter-Counties crowns - AW (athleticsweekly.com)

She's quoted in the Under-20 women's section as saying "My dad doesn't want me to fly" - whilst also apparently confirming that when she turns 18, she will be accepting places on travelling squads. 

Instant wave of dread. The overbearing and controlling parent trope.

Never. Ends. Well.

1 hour ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Neither the IOC nor the international federations can compel a National Olympic Committee to select an athlete and that will not change - no matter how many times you predict it. 

They could move to entirely world rankings based which would increase the backlash not selecting athletes would bring. They could also say rejecting too many quotas means you lose a relay place or two even if it’s not the same event, 

Edited by Orangehair43

2 hours ago, Orangehair43 said:

They could move to entirely world rankings based which would increase the backlash not selecting athletes would bring. They could also say rejecting too many quotas means you lose a relay place or two even if it’s not the same event, 

If you genuinely believe that USA Track and Field and the other national federations are going to allow themselves be told by IAAF who they have to take to major championships, then I have a bridge over the river Thames for sale. :sure: Honestly, it's a very good price and I have all the paperwork necessary to prove ownership. 

1 hour ago, Rafa Maciel said:

If you genuinely believe that USA Track and Field and the other national federations are going to allow themselves be told by IAAF who they have to take to major championships, then I have a bridge over the river Thames for sale. :sure: Honestly, it's a very good price and I have all the paperwork necessary to prove ownership. 

Well why have the IAAF brought in the whole world rankings system if they don’t ultimately aim to take the control away from NOC’s. 

The US College outdoor track and field season is kicking off in earnest this week so we're likely to see a few Brits in action. I haven't gone through the full entry list but from what I've seen so far, there are at least a couple of our potential contenders for Paris places taking part in this weekend's Florida Relays:

Men

Rhys Allen - Discus

Isaac Delaney - Shot Put

Daniel Falode - Triple Jump

Kenneth Ikeji - Hammer

Matthew Hudson-Smith - 200m

Josh Zeller - 110m Hurdles

Efekemo Okoro - 400m

Women

Alix Still - High Jump

Temi Ojora - Triple Jump

Alix Still - Javelin

Jodie Williams - 200m

Couple of Brits in action in the Continental Tour  Challenger event in :RSA Johannesburg today

Alex Botterill won the men's 800m in a time of 1:46.13

Laviai Neilson won the women's 200m in a time of 23.32 seconds - that's just 6 hundredths outside her PB. 

Ikeji wins the hammer event at the Florida Relays with a mark of 72.94m. That's up about half a meter on the same event last year so should/could bode well for the rest of the year.

If he wants to get to Paris, Ikeji will need 78.20m - so 28cm longer than his current PB. Alternatively, he will need at least 77.50m if he wants to be eligible for a quota based on world ranking.